What's new

Trying to change language from Japanese to English on ASUS RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Na, ColinTaylor was right, all I needed was JFFS scripts to be enabled! Works fine now, even without the sleep line in the script!

So, the lesson to be learnt from this is to always check Syslog for error messages:p

Not sure if that's something I would have needed to go looking for, or if it was right in front of me the whole time, but sure!

Well, it seems like we have a solution for anyone else who buys this router overseas only to discover they took the ability to change languages out! Is there somewhere we can put this info to help anyone else in the future?

Not sure if that's something I would have needed to go looking for, or if it was right in front of me the whole time, but sure!

Well, it seems like we have a solution for anyone else who buys this router overseas only to discover they took the ability to change languages out! Is there somewhere we can put this info to help anyone else in the future?
I assume this will work for a RT-AC88U as I'm in the same predicament

Depends on the amount of complexity required in the script but the Wiki has info on using the built-in vi/nano editors to create scripts if the preferred windows WinSCP editor isn't available .

However, for a quick'n'dirty method without the need to use an editor, simply copy'n'paste the following command line to create a script:
Code:
echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nmount -o bind   /www/EN.dict   /www/\$(nvram get preferred_lang).dict\ndf\nservice restart_httpd\n" >/jffs/scripts/Dictionary_MSG.sh;chmod +x /jffs/scripts/Dictionary_MSG.sh
then ensure the new Dictionary mapping script is executed at some stage during the boot process from an appropriate script
e.g. init-start
Code:
echo -e "/jffs/scripts/Dictionary_MSG.sh\n" >> /jffs/scripts/init-start;chmod +x /jffs/scripts/init-start

You can of course copy 'n'paste Dictionary_MSG.sh for comprehensive visual confirmation/error checking :p
I have asus RT-AC 86U,

This solution worked the best.

To reiterate, this is what I did:

Flash firmware to merlin
Enable SSH access (google and some guesswork for reference)
SSh into the router
Execute the 2 commands
Reboot router
Done

I have asus RT-AC 86U,

This solution worked the best.

To reiterate, this is what I did:

Flash firmware to merlin
Enable SSH access (google and some guesswork for reference)
SSh into the router
Execute the 2 commands
Reboot router
Done
So I just bought an RT-AC68U in Japan as well and I would love to change the language to English. However, I'm not nearly as computer literate as some of you here and was hoping for a more step by step process. I downloaded putty and I THINK I'm ssh'd into my router but I have no idea how to put in the code. Doesn't seem to work for me. Any help?

EDIT: I should mention I have Merlin installed on my router.

So I just bought an RT-AC68U in Japan as well and I would love to change the language to English. However, I'm not nearly as computer literate as some of you here and was hoping for a more step by step process. I downloaded putty and I THINK I'm ssh'd into my router but I have no idea how to put in the code. Doesn't seem to work for me. Any help?

EDIT: I should mention I have Merlin installed on my router.

So what happens if you copy'n'paste the following five commands into the PuTTY session
Code:
uname -on;nvram get buildno

df

mount -o bind   /www/EN.dict   /www/$(nvram get preferred_lang).dict

df

service restart_httpd

Last edited:
So what happens if you copy'n'paste the following five commands into the PuTTY session
Code:
uname -on;nvram get buildno

df

mount -o bind   /www/EN.dict   /www/$(nvram get preferred_lang).dict

df

service restart_httpd
oh damn okay that worked! Thank you so much! But will it keep ever after a reboot? Or do I need more advanced code for that.?

oh damn okay that worked! Thank you so much! But will it keep ever after a reboot? Or do I need more advanced code for that.?

To create the 'advanced' scripts to apply the switch to ENGLISH during the boot process, copy'n'paste the two commands from post #10 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Set 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs=YES' in the GUI - then reboot when convenient

Last edited:
To create the 'advanced' scripts to apply the switch to ENGLISH during the boot process, copy'n'paste the two commands from post #10 :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Hmmmm. Just using the same method as you said before? Because just directly copying paste that script doesn't give me a response. It just.....pastes it and does nothing. I really appreciate the help!

Hmmmm. Just using the same method as you said before? Because just directly copying paste that script doesn't give me a response. It just.....pastes it and does nothing. I really appreciate the help!

Check if you correctly created the two scripts
Code:
 ls   -lah   /jffs/scripts

Check if you correctly created the two scripts
Code:
 ls   -lah   /jffs/scripts
@RT-AC68U-0020:/tmp/home/root# l s -lah /jffs/scripts
ls: s: No such file or directory
/jffs/scripts:
drwxr-xr-x 2 aoshi root 0 Dec 3 10:29 ./
drwxr-xr-x 8 aoshi root 0 Dec 4 10:59 ../
-rwxrwxrwx 1 aoshil root 105 Dec 4 10:58 Dictionary_MSG.sh*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 aoshi root 99 Dec 4 10:58 init-start*

Sorry I'm not sure what to look for.

@RT-AC68U-0020:/tmp/home/root# l s -lah /jffs/scripts
ls: s: No such file or directory
/jffs/scripts:
drwxr-xr-x 2 aoshi root 0 Dec 3 10:29 ./
drwxr-xr-x 8 aoshi root 0 Dec 4 10:59 ../
-rwxrwxrwx 1 aoshil root 105 Dec 4 10:58 Dictionary_MSG.sh*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 aoshi root 99 Dec 4 10:58 init-start*

Now allow execution of the two custom scripts:

upload_2018-12-4_11-2-51.png

and reboot

By just copying and pasting them into the same putty box right? I did that and rebooted and it goes back to Japanese. And yeah I have the Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs set to yes.

Try running the scripts manually
Code:
cd /jffs/scripts

cat init-start

./init-start

cat Dictionary_MSG.sh

./Dictionary_MSG.sh

That does do something and resets my router page to English. But upon rebooting it goes back to Japanese.

If there were no errors, then it would appear that you can indeed copy'n'paste correctly and the two scripts execute correctly.

So either Custom script execution is not enabled correctly or perhaps the script is now executing too early in the boot sequence.

Try renaming the script
Code:
mv init-start services-start
and reboot.

You should also check Syslog for errors.

If there were no errors, then it would appear that you can indeed copy'n'paste correctly and the two scripts execute correctly.

So either Custom script execution is not enabled correctly or perhaps the script is now executing too early in the boot sequence.

Try renaming the script
Code:
mv init-start services-start
and reboot.

You should also check Syslog for errors.
when I use that command I get this. Sorry I really don't have a clue what I'm doing here. I really appreciate your patience.
@RT-AC68U-0020:/tmp/home/root# mv init-start services-start
mv: can't rename 'init-start': No such file or directory

I've reenabled the custom script (off and back on again) just to see if that would do anything. Nothing. I guess it isn't a big deal to run that script manually every once in a while if I can't figure this out.

when I use that command I get this. Sorry I really don't have a clue what I'm doing here. I really appreciate your patience.
@RT-AC68U-0020:/tmp/home/root# mv init-start services-start
mv: can't rename 'init-start': No such file or directory

Try changing to the target directory first....
Code:
cd /jffs/scripts
then try the rename again.

Hi guys,

Just updated my Japanese RT-68U F/W 384.7-2. Got disappointed by not being able to select English anymore. Googled it. Found this topic. Applied fix from Martineau. Being happy again. :)

Thanks a lot Martineau! :)