What's new

Trying to figure out the AES-NI status of various routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ehtomlol

New Around Here
Hi!

I currently have a AC86U router running Merlin, which also connects our whole house via VPN to the internet and hosts a VPN for us to connect to while away. We are moving soon and I'm looking to significantly upgrade this set up to VPN over a Virgin Media Gig1 fibre internet connection...

I remember that when I bought the AC86U it was one of the few routers supporting AES-NI (Crypto hardware acceleration) however I simply cannot find up to date information on this topic. Does anyone happen to know which of the following more modern routers support AES-NI:

- GT-AX6000 -- 2.0 Ghz 4core processor, is this Broadcom? if so which one?
- RT-AX86U -- 1.8Ghz 4core processor, is this ARM? if so which one?
- RT-AX88U -- 1.8Ghz 4core processor, is this ARM? if so which one?
- RT-AX86U Pro -- 2.0Ghz 4core processor, is this ARM? if so which one?

I would assume that the best option is a fast processor which also supports AES-NI instructions to give the highest throughput for VPN applications. Is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated as I can't even find the answers I'm looking for in technical manuals for eg Broadcom processors (such as https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/4916-PB1XX, it just states it has a high-performance security processing unit, but I do not know exactly what that means).

No Asus routers support AES-NI as that is only available in Intel processors. Some ARM processors support AES though.

- GT-AX6000 -- 2.0 Ghz 4core processor, is this Broadcom? if so which one?
- RT-AX86U -- 1.8Ghz 4core processor, is this ARM? if so which one?
- RT-AX88U -- 1.8Ghz 4core processor, is this ARM? if so which one?
- RT-AX86U Pro -- 2.0Ghz 4core processor, is this ARM? if so which one?

- BCM4912
- BCM4908
- BCM49408
- BCM4912

All of them ARMv8 + AES

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like I'll go with the ax6000 as it has a fast processor and has a black friday discount in my country atm.

GT-AX6000 is the only one with 2x 2.5GbE ports as well. Single 2.5GbE port on AX86U/Pro is mostly useless.