What's new

Trying to find a single MoCA adapter unit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mominn8266

New Around Here
I have Frontier internet currently which has MoCA adapter built in. They provided arris am525 MoCA wifi extender since they could not install the ONT near my main wifi devices. However I just learned they will be charging me for this monthly so I am returning it. I disabled the WiFi on this extender and have my ASUS TM-AC1900 connected to the ethernet port on the arris and set up as an access point for my wifi devices. Again, the reason why im not using my ASUS router as the main router is because the location where they installed the ONT will not provide optimal coverage to my main wireless devices.

Thus, I am looking for a cheap but reliable single MoCA adapter which will replace the Arris MoCA wifi extender. Everything else will remain the same. I found that Tivo MoCA bridge single adapters are relatively cheap online. Will this work? I also have a mi424wr rev I router which I believe is MoCA capable however, I think its limited to MoCA 1.0. My internet speed currently is 200mbps, will the mi424wr rev I be able to output this speed?

Thank you!

The bonded MoCA 2.0 Motorola MM1000 would be a better value than a standard MoCA 2.0 TiVo Bridge (which is just a rebranded Actiontec ECB6000). The MI424-WR is MoCA 1.1.

As for MoCA segment throughput, MoCA is peer-to-peer and maximum throughput is determined by the highest MoCA spec supported by both peer nodes; therefore, you’d need both peers to be standard or bonded MoCA 2.0 to be capable of matching your Internet rate of 200 Mbps. (MoCA 1.1 max is 170 Mbps.)

See this TCF post for a number of MoCA adapter options broken down by throughput.

The bonded MoCA 2.0 Motorola MM1000 would be a better value than a standard MoCA 2.0 TiVo Bridge (which is just a rebranded Actiontec ECB6000). The MI424-WR is MoCA 1.1.

As for MoCA segment throughput, MoCA is peer-to-peer and maximum throughput is determined by the highest MoCA spec supported by both peer nodes; therefore, you’d need both peers to be standard or bonded MoCA 2.0 to be capable of matching your Internet rate of 200 Mbps. (MoCA 1.1 max is 170 Mbps.)

See this TCF post for a number of MoCA adapter options broken down by throughput.

Thanks for the reply! Why do you recommend the Motorola mm1000 over the tivo (Ecb6000)? What advantage does the Motorola have over the tivo? From what I can tell they are both MoCA 2.0.

Edit: I forgot to mention my gateway MoCA device is the ARRIS NVG468MQ which I believe is MoCA 2.0

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention my gateway MoCA device is the ARRIS NVG468MQ which I believe is MoCA 2.0
Its specs state “MoCA 2.0 Profile B,” which is standard MoCA 2.0 (up to 400 Mbps); so, you won’t gain any extra throughput using the bonded MM1000 with the NVG468MQ but you’ll save $20 and the pass-through port may be of use. (And the bandwidth bump will just be waiting for a better peer.)