What's new

TTL expired in transit - Help needed to recover from this!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
I had the bright idea to enable jumbo packets on my Asus router. Shortly after I did that, none of my machines can reach server IP: news.newserver.com (not the actual name) and also another news server from another provider. This created a huge problem for me since I depend on both almost daily.

I noticed that when I ping news.newserver.com from any machine on my network, it says:

Code:
Reply from 101.106.190.94: TTL expired in transit.
Reply from 101.106.190.94: TTL expired in transit.

The router, 101.106.190.94, is several hops away from my router's DMZ. I have no access to it; as, it's my ISP's router. My guess is if I could delete the offending route on that router, this would avoid the routing loop at that router.

My gut instinct says I'm SOL. Is there anything I can do without having to call my ISP and tell them I messed up their router or get VPN? How long would it take for this issue to resolve by itself? I really don't want to get VPN since I doubt I can afford one that supports 1000Mbps throughput and gives me a private dedicated IP.

Any helpful suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

UPDATE: Issue resolved by ISP

Last edited:
If the problem was caused by you enabling jumbo packets on your router why don't you just disable that option?

I really don't understand why you think you've "messed up" your ISP's router, or how using a VPN is relevant.

If you want us to help you diagnose the problem you'll have to tell us the real names of the two servers you're having problems with.

I already tried Re-enabling that setting and reset my router and modem. I doubt enabling Jumbo Packets caused the issue directly, especially since it was meant for the LAN side of things, not WAN. Routing loop on a provider edge router isn't something me or anyone else would probably able to fix anyway after thinking about more. I'll just have to figure out how to report the issue to my ISP.

Update. Issue resolved. I was finally able to get through to my ISP. It looks like this issue was affecting several people, not just me.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!