What's new

TUF AX-3000 Merlin Firmware - Issues & Stock Firmware. HELP! Developers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHC1983

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I was pointed to the forums here to discuss my AX-3000 Issues. The stock firmware is hopeless, ASUS support and engineers have no idea so here's the go.

I just wanna run something by you guys as I'm out of idea's. So I switched to your firmware because the ASUS stock firmware is frankly garbage. I have multiple rigs crypto mining, I have kids so I use the Family Filters on this and I also house a server which has a mail server, game servers etc.

Long story short the TUF-AX3000 has like so many issues for me. With the merlin firmware I luckily got access to the TCP Timeouts, so I made adjustments to those (essentially halved most). But hasn't fully sorted it, I mean I get RDP Bombed at times (I move the port each time). I get attacks on SMTP.... Firewall and set routes to time them out, I use cloudfare etc.

But the modem seem to have Kernel Panics, reboots ...... With the merlin firmware it's ALOT better, but I think perhaps it might be only when I have set things on.

Either Adaptive or QoS in General, App Monitoring or Bandwidth Monitoring and the Trent URL Filtering thing. Whenever I have these on I get nf_conntrack: table full and it spits the dummy almost daily.

I have wireless issues and or even lan issues which I think link to Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:**, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2) (example).

I was reading somewhere about bucket sizes for connections (no idea making mention if it could be added to edit).

My gut feeling is the routers a POS and doesn't have enough RAM for what it needs to do. I dunno if there is custom DDOS or Firewall settings that we could edit/add as well? It's slower with the firewall accessing things externally (when hosting stuff behind it).

I would love a dev to look at this because ASUS are useless. I've only had my router for like 2 months maybe.... I got fibre and decided to put it in at the same time and it's just been sh*t honestly lol. My old NetComm with it's crappy WIFI was much better.

Dev's? My setups a good test for ASUS as I have alot going on and it clearly can't handle even half of it.

Welcome to the forums @MrHC1983.

Yes, your choice of router is a poor match to your requirements. With 'puny' 1.5GHz processors and 512MB of RAM, along with bad (for a router) 2x2:2 WiFi connections, this is the wrong choice for a wireless router that is meant for a one or two-person gaming household.

I suggest getting either the RT-AX86U or the better GT-AX6000 for you to test in your home.

The latest and greatest GT-AXE16000 may also be worthwhile testing (with 2GB of RAM and a 6GHz radio/band, with all being 4x4:4.

If your ISP Fibre speeds are ~1Gbps symmetrical or greater, I wouldn't pursue 'fixing' the router you currently have. Your network demands much more (hardware).

Asus support may not be world-class and you may find some temporary fixes from the smart people here. But if all you want is a stable network, you need to invest more in your network (and I'm sure others will point you to commercial products, as I may too, if testing the routers suggested above doesn't bring you the performance you expect.

Btw, there is no home router with 'DDOS protection' worth buying, just for that feature.

And as you've already found out, RMerlin firmware is a necessity, not an option. :)

Exactly why is it you think I should spend even more money on a brand that can't hold a stable connection. The units three cores, 1.5 Ghz and yes 512MB RAM. Why make a sh*t product? ....

Look I have my old NetComm NF18ACV .... I don't know the specs but I highly doubt it's as powerful. It didn't have an issue holding the internet online. Hell it was VDSL and never had kernel panic restart issues!

ASUS market a TUF router...... it's the most piss weak thing ever made I've ever come across. I am an IT Tech by day, see TP-Link's, DLink, Telstra, Optus, Draytechs etc.... NEVER....... a silly issue like this one has. How does ASUS release this garbage? ....

The notion you think I should spend more I find offensive as all customers should. Why would be buy a bigger version.... The truth is, a good modem just works. My NetComm sucked at doing wireless and DHCP..... never had any issue holding up the net.

Perhaps this AX-3000 is just faulty from factory. As in..... a product that should never have been sold. It's my first ASUS router, I thought I'd go outside my usual Dlink/TP Link stuff..... try something new. Was a mistake. It

You cant even get a log as to why because it just reboots...... Perhaps yes if it had 1GB RAM it would be OK MAYBE.... but I doubt my old modem/router had that......... and it didn't drop nothing. I'm days away from returning this POS and hooking my netcomm back up.

along with bad (for a router) 2x2:2 WiFi

Another blanket statement. There is nothing bad about a 2x2 router in fact 95% of clients are only 2x2 so having a 4x4 router wont make a difference.

I am an IT Tech by day

Comments like this grind my gears.

Being an “IT Tech” doesn’t make you a network engineer or otherwise.

And if you’re familiar and have worked with other brands why not use them since they’re tried and tested including by yourself?

Surely as well being an IT Tech you would know the specs on that router aren’t up to scratch for what you’re trying to achieve?

Hi Guys,

I was pointed to the forums here to discuss my AX-3000 Issues. The stock firmware is hopeless, ASUS support and engineers have no idea so here's the go.

I just wanna run something by you guys as I'm out of idea's. So I switched to your firmware because the ASUS stock firmware is frankly garbage. I have multiple rigs crypto mining, I have kids so I use the Family Filters on this and I also house a server which has a mail server, game servers etc.

Long story short the TUF-AX3000 has like so many issues for me. With the merlin firmware I luckily got access to the TCP Timeouts, so I made adjustments to those (essentially halved most). But hasn't fully sorted it, I mean I get RDP Bombed at times (I move the port each time). I get attacks on SMTP.... Firewall and set routes to time them out, I use cloudfare etc.

But the modem seem to have Kernel Panics, reboots ...... With the merlin firmware it's ALOT better, but I think perhaps it might be only when I have set things on.

Either Adaptive or QoS in General, App Monitoring or Bandwidth Monitoring and the Trent URL Filtering thing. Whenever I have these on I get nf_conntrack: table full and it spits the dummy almost daily.

I have wireless issues and or even lan issues which I think link to Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:**, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2) (example).

I was reading somewhere about bucket sizes for connections (no idea making mention if it could be added to edit).

My gut feeling is the routers a POS and doesn't have enough RAM for what it needs to do. I dunno if there is custom DDOS or Firewall settings that we could edit/add as well? It's slower with the firewall accessing things externally (when hosting stuff behind it).

I would love a dev to look at this because ASUS are useless. I've only had my router for like 2 months maybe.... I got fibre and decided to put it in at the same time and it's just been sh*t honestly lol. My old NetComm with it's crappy WIFI was much better.

Dev's? My setups a good test for ASUS as I have alot going on and it clearly can't handle even half of it.

wow, lots going on that has nothing to do with the router!

"With the merlin firmware I luckily got access to the TCP Timeouts, so I made adjustments to those (essentially halved most). But hasn't fully sorted it"

TCP timeout means something is not responding within the timeout window. Making the TCP timeout 1/2 the time will cause more timeouts!

"I mean I get RDP Bombed at times (I move the port each time). I get attacks on SMTP.... "

I'm sorry hackers had discovered your server. Welcome to the Internet. This has nothing to do with the firmware!

"But the modem seem to have Kernel Panics, reboots"

I'm sorry to learn your modem is buggy. What dose this have to do with the router?
"Either Adaptive or QoS in General, App Monitoring or Bandwidth Monitoring and the Trent URL Filtering thing. Whenever I have these on I get nf_conntrack: table full and it spits the dummy almost daily."

Multiple issues here. For QOS, use CAKE. What is Trent URL Filtering? Are you talking about Trend Micro? Fix one thing at a time. If you are running out the connect tables, you have more connections that these consumer routers are designed for. Is your server that busy? Otherwise someone in your household is running P2P file sharing and killing your experience. Stop that!

Deauth is part of the WiFi protocol. You need them to happen. You need to describe your WiFi issues. Are you running with default settings or did you tune and mess up? There are plenty of posts here about how to configure WiFi for reliability

Just mentioning Bucket Sizes shows where your bucket full of issues is coming from

"My gut feeling is the routers a POS and doesn't have enough RAM for what it needs to do. I dunno if there is custom DDOS or Firewall settings that we could edit/add as well? It's slower with the firewall accessing things externally (when hosting stuff behind it)."

Buy cheap, buy twice. This may be the case here yet some carful tuning might solve your issues. With how rude you are who is going to take your rant and help you?

WOW.

Yes I am IT Guy with a Network Engineering Diploma as well. Sorry your EGO got bruised.

i should know better then to post on forums. I am sorry but I am smarter then you.

And no I would not throw more money for better hardware as you all think that would fix my issue.

I have a home network not an enterprise! A bigger modem would still be powered by the same software and have the same issue.

ASUS sucks simply put. I tried it and it sucked. Live and learn.

And for the record do your homework before you speak and try and sound smart.

i thought this forum would be for people on my level…. Apparently not.

All the best.

WOW.

Yes I am IT Guy with a Network Engineering Diploma as well. Sorry your EGO got bruised.

i should know better then to post on forums. I am sorry but I am smarter then you.

And no I would not throw more money for better hardware as you all think that would fix my issue.

I have a home network not an enterprise! A bigger modem would still be powered by the same software and have the same issue.

ASUS sucks simply put. I tried it and it sucked. Live and learn.

And for the record do your homework before you speak and try and sound smart.

All the best.

So sorry Mr. Superior. Google me and learn!

You should hope that your company dose not find this thread.

A few suggestions. Next time you seek help try posting specifics rather than just ranting about how bad a product is. You know what your experiencing, anyone reading your post does not; so explaining your issue(s) in precise language will help others. It would help if you had posted what specific firmware you are using, both Asus and Merlin. What specific troubleshooting steps you have tried? Include screen captures of your settings, post snippets of the log files that show or highlight the specific issues you are trying to convey you are having trouble with. No where did you indicate that you did a hard reset after moving from what I assume was stock Asus firmware to the Merlin firmware.

From the sounds of it you have a lot going on on the local network that can complicate the proper configuration of a router. It is also possible the router simply isn't up to the task (because of it's hardware) of your network client needs, or you received a defective router (it's rare but it happens).

Another blanket statement. There is nothing bad about a 2x2 router in fact 95% of clients are only 2x2 so having a 4x4 router wont make a difference.

A 4x4:4 router makes a huge difference in range, and increased throughput. Not to mention the fact that higher-end components and design are also used throughout, too.

If you're buying a 2x2:2 router for one or two clients, used at close range, and with (much) less than 1Gbps speeds, sure, that won't be the wrong solution.

If you're buying it for the 20+ devices most households use today, that's a different story. Particularly as ISP speeds climb above ~500Mbps (symmetrical).

My statement is based on the latter scenario. That is exactly the reason the OP is having issues.

Exactly why is it you think I should spend even more money on a brand that can't hold a stable connection. The units three cores, 1.5 Ghz and yes 512MB RAM. Why make a sh*t product? ....

Look I have my old NetComm NF18ACV .... I don't know the specs but I highly doubt it's as powerful. It didn't have an issue holding the internet online. Hell it was VDSL and never had kernel panic restart issues!

ASUS market a TUF router...... it's the most piss weak thing ever made I've ever come across. I am an IT Tech by day, see TP-Link's, DLink, Telstra, Optus, Draytechs etc.... NEVER....... a silly issue like this one has. How does ASUS release this garbage? ....

The notion you think I should spend more I find offensive as all customers should. Why would be buy a bigger version.... The truth is, a good modem just works. My NetComm sucked at doing wireless and DHCP..... never had any issue holding up the net.

Perhaps this AX-3000 is just faulty from factory. As in..... a product that should never have been sold. It's my first ASUS router, I thought I'd go outside my usual Dlink/TP Link stuff..... try something new. Was a mistake. It

You cant even get a log as to why because it just reboots...... Perhaps yes if it had 1GB RAM it would be OK MAYBE.... but I doubt my old modem/router had that......... and it didn't drop nothing. I'm days away from returning this POS and hooking my netcomm back up.

That's your choice if you want to spend more or not.

But the reasons I've stated stand. Your poor choice of hardware is the reason for your misgivings about Asus as a whole. Many others do not have this experience.

The reason I suggested the Asus models is that you're using RMerlin firmware. If you don't need it, the basis for my statements still applies. But I know of no other consumer router that is better than what Asus provides, overall and long-term.

Good luck trying to find Asus/RMerlin functionality in TP-Link and D-Link consumer products.

A 4x4:4 router makes a huge difference in range, and increased throughput. Not to mention the fact that higher-end components and design are also used throughout, too.

If you're buying a 2x2:2 router for one or two clients, used at close range, and with (much) less than 1Gbps speeds, sure, that won't be the wrong solution.

If you're buying it for the 20+ devices most households use today, that's a different story. Particularly as ISP speeds climb above ~500Mbps (symmetrical).

My statement is based on the latter scenario. That is exactly the reason the OP is having issues.

That's your choice if you want to spend more or not.

But the reasons I've stated stand. Your poor choice of hardware is the reason for your misgivings about Asus as a whole. Many others do not have this experience.

The reason I suggested the Asus models is that you're using RMerlin firmware. If you don't need it, the basis for my statements still applies. But I know of no other consumer router that is better than what Asus provides, overall and long-term.

Good luck trying to find Asus/RMerlin functionality in TP-Link and D-Link consumer products.
Mate you just need to stop talking. To quote the phrase "I know more then you". Oh 4x4 or 2x2 blad blah blah. Look around the forum mate, it's a problem across many ASUS products right now. Thankfully I was smart, returned the POS routers..... and went TPLink. Never had an issue mate since.

The ASUS would be GREAT had it worked....... but it didn't. Stop making excuses for sh*t stuff mate. Your statement is BS. ANY MODERN ROUTER MATE........... TO SPEAK CLEARLY should cope with a MINIMUM of 50 devices..... lan or wireless.

Buy a 2x2 for one or two clients, clearly our insane. I can tell you what....... I don't have "kernel panics" on TPLink and all the MERLIN extra's are just factory on my TPLink stuff.

ASUS had great idea's, the smart phone app. It went for it....... it was a GREAT PRODUCT for the home user, except it wasn't stable and thus wasn't fit for purpose and should never have been released to the public.

They I suspect have software issues galore. .......... I only came back on here to change a password and I seen this BS. *eye roll*.

Best of luck to you all. 100% nobody on here was helpful. As always resolved the issue myself.

:rolleyes:

I don't have "kernel panics" on TPLink and all the MERLIN extra's are just factory on my TPLink stuff.

You're comparing apples and oranges. AX3000 class models are entry level routers. TP-Link in this class also doesn't have too many features - you need to go higher. If you are talking about Omada features - this is SMB oriented and not a consumer product. It costs more than average AIO router as well.

Hi Guys,

I know things can be TUF when one tries to run nefarious non-profit and crypto-mining schemes from the basement, but what kind of connections issues was the rest of the family having?

So it is clear the name TUF, clearly is not an accurate description of this router.

WOW.

What level is that?

Mate you just need to stop talking. To quote the phrase "I know more then you". Oh 4x4 or 2x2 blad blah blah. Look around the forum mate, it's a problem across many ASUS products right now. Thankfully I was smart, returned the POS routers..... and went TPLink. Never had an issue mate since.

The ASUS would be GREAT had it worked....... but it didn't. Stop making excuses for sh*t stuff mate. Your statement is BS. ANY MODERN ROUTER MATE........... TO SPEAK CLEARLY should cope with a MINIMUM of 50 devices..... lan or wireless.

Buy a 2x2 for one or two clients, clearly our insane. I can tell you what....... I don't have "kernel panics" on TPLink and all the MERLIN extra's are just factory on my TPLink stuff.

ASUS had great idea's, the smart phone app. It went for it....... it was a GREAT PRODUCT for the home user, except it wasn't stable and thus wasn't fit for purpose and should never have been released to the public.

They I suspect have software issues galore. .......... I only came back on here to change a password and I seen this BS. *eye roll*.

Best of luck to you all. 100% nobody on here was helpful. As always resolved the issue myself.

So it is fine for home users if it is "stable". What exactly was unstable?

Wow, I didn't know you could do the same stuff on TPLink that you can on Asuswrt-Merlin. Time to investigate!

Last edited:

Are you a troll from TPLINK???

It is very disturbing to read that someone is trying to gag a member here...

So perhaps, with your genius level qualifications you could explain this?

Where is there a modem in an ASUS TUF / RT-AX 3000 ?

Once again, a thread has devolved into personal attacks. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.