What's new

TUF-AX5400 to replace RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1976saint

Occasional Visitor
I'm about to grab a TUF-AX5400 to replace my RT-AX58U as the primary router and re-use it to create a Mesh for the first time.

AX5400 is supported by asuswrt-merlin.ng fork , my AX58U has ASUSWRT-MERLIN running.

Q1 - I guess the two are compatible and I can use both merlins to get them working in a Mesh?

Q2 - If they are compatible, whats the best way to introduce the AX5400 in to the network?
Would I have to start from scratch e.g. setup the configuration as per the AX58U first with ssid names, password, dhcp, etc or if I mesh the AX5400 as a seconday can I then make it the primary talking all the Wifi SSID's etc and other settings over?

This would save all the headache of re-networking my wifi devices.

I've never used AiMess so don't really know how it confgures a secondary router or if is is possible to make the secondary the Primary if say you suffered a catastrofic loss of the primary router.

Or if there is a better (cheap black friday option - Curry's (UK) have a RT-AX82U on offer) I'd appriciate thoughts?

Thanks
1976saint

Last edited:
I'm about to grab a TUF-AX5400 to replace my RT-AX58U

The two routers are the same hardware. AX5400 is one of the "gaming" versions of AX58U. You're buying marketing only.

I can use both merlins to get them working in a Mesh?

You may have issues with Asuswrt-Merlin main router and wireless AiMesh node. It may not recognize it at all wirelessly.

Curry's (UK) have a RT-AX82U on offer

Also the same hardware router as AX58U, just another "gaming" version of it. With this one you upgrade to RGB lights.

TUF AX5400 has 2 more antennas. I think two antennas handle 2.4 Ghz and the four antennas handle 5 GHz. The more the merrier. I have found the signal to be stronger and reach farther on TUF AX 5400. I have more than 10 connected clients and the connection and throughput on TUF AX5400 are strong with no dropouts.

Different AX58U variants do have different power amplifiers, but all are basically the same hardware. The number of antennas is not that important. AX58U has locked in firmware features. More expensive ones use better the hardware potential. Routing, VPN, USB, etc. performance though - all the same.

Antennas matter as much as size matters :) and maybe help in generating multiple streams and serve a wider coverage area. Indeed expensive ones have better features (Arm v8 CPU) but only for those who are actually going to need these, like hardware encryption, etc. In tests, I have read that Asus TUF 5400 approaches the better routers with comparable specs but the ones with Arm v8 have an advantage in encryption / VPN performance and now better ports (2.5G).

Antennas matter as much as size matters :)

Here is a better one for you:

1669198765161.png

:D

It didn't occour to me until today what you meant by this - does it mean the only way to get AiMesh between these two untils would be to revert back to stock or do you mean I'd need to hardwire them to get AiMesh working between them initally?

Are Merlin and gntuon not technically compatible when it comes to AiMesh, if not is there any move to make that happen in the future?
You may have issues with Asuswrt-Merlin main router and wireless AiMesh node. It may not recognize it at all wirelessly.

I'd need to hardwire them to get AiMesh working between them initally?

Wired during setup helps. Then the node fails back to wireless when you disconnect it. If the system drops the node you may have to do it again.

Are Merlin and gntuon not technically compatible when it comes to AiMesh...?

They are, but you can't use the setup process described by Asus. What's wrong is unclear - closed source. AiMesh doesn't like some of the changes.

Just an update to this thread -

I installed my new AX5400 as the primary router, reset the AX58u back to factory and joined it to the AI mesh via an rj45 cable initially (now upstairs connecting via wifi backhaul).

My Q1 above query regards the two FW's using different forks seem not to be a major issue, it worked for me anyway.

Q2 - I ended up manually setting up the new router with the same settings as the old before swapping out.

As for Wifi devices, I created the same SSID's and wifi passwords and everything seemed to rejoin the network after the swap out.

Just got to find a nice solution to keep the AX5400 on the wall as it didn't come with wall mounting screw holes :-(

Happy New year.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!