What's new

TUF AX5400 vs RT-AX5400 - Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoSmittyCan

Occasional Visitor
I see that GNUton firmware already supports the TUF-AX5400 and RT-AX82U V1 routers, which are two very similar routers (except for number of antennas).

Recently, Asus released again another version of this router (RT-AX5400, H/W Ver. B1), which seems to be the same hardware as these two (soc, storage, RAM, etc.), but with 4 antennas (same as RT-AX82U).

I'm new to the Asus Merlin firmware scene, but is there any chance that one of these two firmwares works directly on the RT-AX5400? Can I test it (e.g. the AX82U firmware) on my RT-AX5400 without risking to brick it?

Thanks,

Jo. S.

Ref: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/388.2_2_0-gnuton1

Last edited:
I can't be 100% sure, but let's assume for the discussion that the RT-AX5400 uses the same platform as the RT-AX82U (v1), i.e. BCM6750 1.5Ghz 3-cores, BCM43684 for second radio and 256MB/512MB flash/rom. Would that be enough to make the RT-AX82U (v1) GNUton firmware compatible to be flashed on the RT-AX5400?

What other key hardware differences can cause compatibility problems between routers?

Jo S.

What other key hardware differences can cause compatibility problems between routers?

More is needed than matching hardware. Not sure we can discuss this matter further.

My final answer - if you force flash wrong firmware your router most likely won't boot at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!