What's new

Turning mains power on/off - will it damage my router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After 40 plus years, I just realized that my wife turns the faucet knobs to full HOT every time she rinses her hands... for a few seconds.

I realized immediately my wife likes taking showers with water temperature too high for my body to support life. Nothing I can do about it for 25 years. Thinking about egg boiling attachment to the shower head.

Turn those boilers / immersions down a few degrees. No one will notice.

Doesn't work. Changing the water mix results in the same temperature.

Doesn't work. Changing the water mix results in the same temperature.
Ahh you must have one of those fancy powered showers. Another thing I did was get an eco shower head, which cuts down water usage. Again these don't work on electric showers.

You could try filing for divorce? Extreme times, call for extreme measures, right ?

BTW how do you find those ruckus access points? I am mentally preparing my new network for when I move house in the next 5 years.

Ahh you must have one of those fancy powered showers.

Fancy hand powered showers. The water temperature is still adjustable. Lowering the heater temperature only results in more not water in the mix. What about one of those fancy electric wives? Is the technology ready?

BTW how do you find those ruckus access points?

Relatively high sensitivity and built-in proprietary type of beamforming to all clients. They use constant scanning and antenna arrays to achieve this effect. Helps in more complex Wi-Fi environments with walls, interference, multiple clients per AP, etc. The price new is a bit shocking though.

Turn those boilers / immersions down a few degrees. No one will notice.

Where I live there is a growing number of cases of Legionnaires' disease, which can be fatal. Elderly people and those with respiratory problems are especially vulnerable.

Infection is mainly through breathing in an aerosol, for example in a shower.

The bacteria are naturally present in water supplies and thrive in temperatures between 20C and 50C. I would imagine that many people have turned down their hot water thermostats unaware that this can promote rapid growth of the bacteria.

Official advice is to keep the hot water tank at 50C or hotter, and at the design stage, to avoid long lengths of hot water pipe, which can cool down sufficiently to promote the growth of the bacteria.

Some water heating systems periodically raise the temperature in the hot water tank above the set temperature, specifically to kill off any bacteria in the tank on a regular basis. I am not sure if this is a generalised feature or just from one manufacturer (Vaillant).

Where I live there is a growing number of cases of Legionnaires' disease, which can be fatal. Elderly people and those with respiratory problems are especially vulnerable.

Infection is mainly through breathing in an aerosol, for example in a shower.

The bacteria are naturally present in water supplies and thrive in temperatures between 20C and 50C. I would imagine that many people have turned down their hot water thermostats unaware that this can promote rapid growth of the bacteria.

Official advice is to keep the hot water tank at 50C or hotter, and at the design stage, to avoid long lengths of hot water pipe, which can cool down sufficiently to promote the growth of the bacteria.

Some water heating systems periodically raise the temperature in the hot water tank above the set temperature, specifically to kill off any bacteria in the tank on a regular basis. I am not sure if this is a generalised feature or just from one manufacturer (Vaillant).
Valid points, however does not effect a combi boiler like mine. There is no storage tank in my system.

It’s all academic when one can’t enjoy a proper cup of tea…

Many in Europe have a proper electric kettle - they can consume 1800-2200 watts for a couple of minutes.

Running a router 24/7 is a rounding error against a beast like this…

71926B25-29EF-4C83-8A31-C479802CED8C.jpeg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!