What's new

Turris Omnia: hi-performance & open-source router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i checked the details about this router. There is a variant with more ram but theres no image of a dimm slot. The CPU is the ARM A9 and has 3 cpu connected ports. 4 of the ports are on a switch connected to cpu with 1 Gb/s and the other 2 ports are cpu connected. There is no SATA despite the SoC supporting it but the SFP and mini PCIe is a big change.

There is SATA, mSATA trough one of mPCI slots.

Nothing is final yeat its on build fase still and not yeat send to manufactoring, if one listen to their videos they say that nothing is decided yet and alterations will be done before sent to production. These videos are in Czech but its one of the languages that I can, so i get up the information pease by peace.

Not a cheap board - knowing first hand... it's basically a WRT1900ac on steroids...

the 385 is nice, and it's got hella connectivity...

cafeole is going down a similar path, but we're ARMv8 (Cortex-A53 vs Cortex-A9 on the 385, and we do get much of the same goodies at a lower cost with Topaz vs Link Street)...
  • Some questions however - SFP by itself, seems like a checkbox feature and a cost add for those that might want this - 1GB - all the other ports, one does beg the question - LinkStreet SOHO has 7 ports, and the Armada has 2 (which one is given up for the MII to LinkStreet) - one can bit-bang the SERDES end-points perhaps - and same with all the PCI-e slots there - PLX's aren't cheap...
board-diagram.fb6511496593.png

Okay, I bought one to replace my Asus AC66U. Don't buy this right now if you want a router with a fully featured and easy to use interface. Basic functionality is there, but the rest is done through either a more advanced webgui or the command line. In other words, the software is a work in progress. That said, the router is powerful. It's got a dual core 1.6Ghz ARM CPU and I did a load test (2 video streams, remote upload, local upload and a speedtest all at once). The CPU in the Asus router couldn't handle copying some files to my NAS from my laptop while streaming live video on our Apple TV. The video would become more or less unwatchable. The Turris router handle the test above without any issues and showed a peak load of 0.32.

Okay, I bought one to replace my Asus AC66U. Don't buy this right now if you want a router with a fully featured and easy to use interface. Basic functionality is there, but the rest is done through either a more advanced webgui or the command line. In other words, the software is a work in progress.

Sounds like LUCI - all the functionality is there - just not always where one would expect it... and lots of power under the hood with OpenWRT - the challenge again is discovery...

That said, the router is powerful. It's got a dual core 1.6Ghz ARM CPU and I did a load test (2 video streams, remote upload, local upload and a speedtest all at once). The CPU in the Asus router couldn't handle copying some files to my NAS from my laptop while streaming live video on our Apple TV. The video would become more or less unwatchable. The Turris router handle the test above without any issues and showed a peak load of 0.32.

HW is similar to the Linksys WRT1900ACv2/ACS... so it should do very well from a routing perspective...

Yes, exactly, the advanced interface is LUCI. The router also have something called the Foris web interface, which is used for initial and basic setup.
The Turris got 2GB memory and 8GB flash storage.

Yes, exactly, the advanced interface is LUCI. The router also have something called the Foris web interface, which is used for initial and basic setup.
The Turris got 2GB memory and 8GB flash storage.

Almond products from Securifi use a similar "hybrid" interface. They have their own interface that exposes the basic (and custom) settings, but LUCI is also available for people who need to dive more into the low-level configuration. I guess it's a common approach for manufacturers relying on OpenWRT to build their firmware.

Didn't know that, but sounds logical. My Merlin firmware based Asus router continues serving a good purpose btw. - now at my mother and father in law