What's new

Tutorial [Tutorial] Improve GUI loading speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yota

Very Senior Member
On the RT-AC68U model, the GUI loading speed is really, really slow, one reason is the CPU clock speed, and the other reason is the ROM read speed.

So, a few days ago, I started trying to mount all webpages on a RAM DISK to improve loading speed, and sure enough it significantly improved GUI page loading speed.

You can do this:

Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/gui
cp -r /www /tmp/gui
mount --bind /tmp/gui/www /www

This will consume about 25MB of RAM, but it's worth it.

Create a init-start script that will automatically load the GUI to the RAM DISK every time you boot.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -d /tmp/gui ]; then
  mkdir -p /tmp/gui
  cp -r /www /tmp/gui
  mount --bind /tmp/gui/www /www
fi

Any old model should try this tutorial, It really makes you feel like you bought a new router.

Last edited:
On the RT-AC68U model, the GUI loading speed is really, really slow

I don't find it really, really slow. It's not as fast as newer routers, but okay. I have one RT-AC66U B1 running 386_51255 and the GUI is fine. It's running AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and VPN Server. I'm accessing it on VPN and it feels normal for the router type.

I don't find it really, really slow. It's not as fast as newer routers, but okay. I have one RT-AC66U B1 running 386_51255 and the GUI is fine. It's running AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and VPN Server. I'm accessing it on VPN and it feels normal for the router type.
They may have used flash memory chips with faster read speeds in the newer models.

On mine it takes 2 minutes to boot up including the laggy GUI, I also have a 1.4 GHz RT-AC68U (the fastest variant of the AC68U, not 1900P) and a 1.0 GHz RT-AC68U, these speeds are much faster than this original 800MHz version.

However, because they have more heat, they sleep in the basement as alternate members.

I can't say I ever noticed the GUI being anything like that slow when I was using my 800MHz RT-AC68U. Certainly not something that the speed of reading from flash memory would make a noticeable difference. Heck, even my old N66U which has the slowest flash memory of all didn't have a problem. The only time I've experienced the GUI being slow was when accessing it via HTTPS when the certificates weren't created properly (or at all).

That said, I haven't used my RT-AC68U for over a year so maybe something changed in a recent firmware that caused this?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!