What's new

[TUTORIAL] Native Transmission on asuswrt routers through optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Performance of Transmission

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

First of all, I wish you all the best for this upcoming year. I know it's late, but I kinda missed it around the forums here.

A tiny introduction: I've been trying to replace my home-server (BSD based) with a more "energy-friendly" system and after some research I bought the RT-N66U. After all, my days of hosting games and all kinds of sturdy servers are over and the to-be-replaced-system is just one giant router with transmission and samba.

I've given the stockware a go, but as we all know: We want to tweak more! All I wanted was a bit more configuration options in samba and the option to install transmission so this custom build (Merlin build) and optware was just perfect. (Really, it is..) The installation of transmission was also a breeze, although I can't seem to get transmission to report that the port is open.. (But it is and I'm able to download.)

Now then, why this post? In comparison to my previous set up I have lost quite a bit in terms of speed. In the previous setup, my server-router took torrents to their limits, maxing out at around 7 MB/s (for a 60 Mbit line, that's not too shabby..) but transmission on the RT-N66U doesnt seem to get even close to it. I've done some experiments adding multiple torrents and everything seems stuck to be around 4 MB/s.

Since I'm new to this "get everything out of your router" world, I was wondering: Is something limiting the download? (That must be the CPU of the router?) Or is there something you guys know which can improve the performance? Or do I just need to accept the fact that I've lost some speed in order to reduce the electricity bill.

For the techies: I'm not using QoS (should I perhaps?), the transmission daemon was installed using optware and is run from the /jffs scripts. I've bound transmission to the internal ip of my router (for no apperent reason) and I've opend up the 9091 (TCP) and 52500 (TCP / UDP) ports. Yes, I modified the default port for testing purposes.

Are there any other logs you guys want to see / need, please let me know. I'm trying to squeeze out at least another 2 MB/s, but I'm kinda clueless on where to start.

Kind regards,

Deni

Dunno if will work but try:
/opt/etc/init.d/S95transmission stop
nano /opt/etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

change "cache-size-mb": from 4 to 6
save
/opt/etc/init.d/S95transmission start

My cache was on 2 MB for some reason, increased it to 6. It's still stuck at lower speeds, but it seems like the CPU stress is a tad lower.. (4 MB/s at around 80% cpu)

However: How that might be related, I still have no idea.

The strange thing is however, if I install a torrent client on my desktop system, I also have a max of around 4 MB/s it seems.. Maybe that might give a clue. (But I have no idea on how to discover where my bandwidth is going tho :))

And for your info: I'll assume my dekstop has plenty of CPU / memory to dance around torrents.

So the question is slightly bigger (and therefor might be out of context here..): Why do my clients get 4 MB/s a most? (And where is it going! :p)

v2.73 for the moment.
See here witch packages are available for optware installation and are updated frequently.

i installed it, all running but after downloading a small amount of torrent files, it says it cant find downloaded files. i checked the folder i created, nothing in it. i changed the directory too. but nothing helped. whats wrong? or is there a specific directory i need to type in?

If you followed the guide exactly, the download folder should be on /mnt/sda1/Transmission but if you changed the folder, look in settings.json (# nano /opt/etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json) where is it or open browser and see or change under preference tab:
2nqbqkx.png

BTW, what is your output if type "mount" command in putty terminal?

Last edited:
My cache was on 2 MB for some reason, increased it to 6. It's still stuck at lower speeds, but it seems like the CPU stress is a tad lower.. (4 MB/s at around 80% cpu)

However: How that might be related, I still have no idea.

The strange thing is however, if I install a torrent client on my desktop system, I also have a max of around 4 MB/s it seems.. Maybe that might give a clue. (But I have no idea on how to discover where my bandwidth is going tho :))

And for your info: I'll assume my dekstop has plenty of CPU / memory to dance around torrents.

So the question is slightly bigger (and therefor might be out of context here..): Why do my clients get 4 MB/s a most? (And where is it going! :p)

I don't know where is the bottleneck but if I plug directly the wan cable in pc I get better speed and this happens with all routers I had.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

If you followed the guide exactly, the download folder should be on /mnt/sda1/Transmission but if you changed the folder, look in settings.json (# nano /opt/etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json) where is it or open browser and see or change under preference tab:
2nqbqkx.png

BTW, what is your output if type "mount" command in putty terminal?
i followed the tutorial exactly 100%. im running asus' firmware instead of custom.

What is your output if type "mount" command in putty terminal?

what should i see? im gonna check again when im running the asuswrt firmware. right now im running padavan's beta 3.0.3.2v-32 which loaded with v2.75. any idea how padavan got it?

I just want to see where the hdd is mounted, like /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sdb1...
Better flash Merlins firmware

Allright. I'll check it out.. Thanx. Regarding merlin's firmware, he doesnt develop one for my router rt-n56u.

RT-N56U, Why don't you say so?
On padavan's firmware, transmission is enabled by default, just create a folder named "transmission" on usb drive.

it says in mount. what directory should i use.(im not using padavan's right now)

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/SHARE type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)

Seems like your device is formatted as ufsd, you should use ext3 for best results in linux firmwares.
Dunno why you try to install transmission from RT-N66U guide because padavan's full firmware for RT-N56U is a better choice.

i wish i could. but any padavan's will hang after 2 days of running transmission. i hate having to reboot all the time. this is the first time im installing transmission on asus' firmware. seem to be worse. oh gosh!

i wish i could. but any padavan's will hang after 2 days of running transmission. i hate having to reboot all the time. this is the first time im installing transmission on asus' firmware. seem to be worse. oh gosh!

Search or open a ticket here

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!