What's new

[TUTORIAL] Native Transmission on asuswrt routers through optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't have this issue using disks with or without label, are you using fat32 or ntfs file system?

Yes, try with a ext3 disk or format this one.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Thank you very much for your answer.
The thing is that, from time to time, I still need to use the USB HDD on my windows machine (Win7).

Is there a way to delay the start of the transmission daemon untill the USB drive is accessible?

There is another issue related to this:
- the drive has 2 partitions (100GB, 900GB)
- I've noticed that some times the partitions are mounted in different order than the previous time they were mounted. Is there a way to manually specify the order(name) of the mount points for each partitions in order to preserve the paths?

Thank you.

Problem with download location

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble with the download location of files. I've gone through and installed it properly (i hope) and i can access the Transmission GUI and via nano in putty. My "mount" command shows:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /tmp/mnt/OPTWARE type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)

Yes, i named the HDD via "Ext2 volume manager" on my windows machine as "OPTWARE"

I plugged the HDD into the top USB port on the N66U so i have no idea why its sdb1 and not sda1 (its a 3TB seagate formatteed with a single ext3 partition, if that helps)

After trying a torrent, it stopped at 9Mb completed and said there was no space on the disk, when i had the download dir as "/tmp/mnt/sda1/transmission". Why did it download anything if there was no HDD plugged into sda1? but anyway...

I changed the download dir and the incomplete dir to "/tmp/mnt/sdb1/Transmission", and downloaded a 1MB test torrent, it seemed to work but did not show up on the HDD (i checked via windows network mounted drive of "//rt-n66u/optware", and via my android phone file manager. But could not find it anywhere.

I've also tried "/tmp/mnt/sdb1/optware/Transmission", but still nothing.

Where should i set my download location to?

had this before and fixed it

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble with the download location of files. I've gone through and installed it properly (i hope) and i can access the Transmission GUI and via nano in putty. My "mount" command shows:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /tmp/mnt/OPTWARE type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)

Yes, i named the HDD via "Ext2 volume manager" on my windows machine as "OPTWARE"

I plugged the HDD into the top USB port on the N66U so i have no idea why its sdb1 and not sda1 (its a 3TB seagate formatteed with a single ext3 partition, if that helps)

After trying a torrent, it stopped at 9Mb completed and said there was no space on the disk, when i had the download dir as "/tmp/mnt/sda1/transmission". Why did it download anything if there was no HDD plugged into sda1? but anyway...

I changed the download dir and the incomplete dir to "/tmp/mnt/sdb1/Transmission", and downloaded a 1MB test torrent, it seemed to work but did not show up on the HDD (i checked via windows network mounted drive of "//rt-n66u/optware", and via my android phone file manager. But could not find it anywhere.

I've also tried "/tmp/mnt/sdb1/optware/Transmission", but still nothing.

Where should i set my download location to?

i went through this before. your directory should be tmp/mnt/optware/transmission instead. =) re-add the torrent once change is made. resuming it wont fix.

i went through this before. your directory should be tmp/mnt/optware/transmission instead. =) re-add the torrent once change is made. resuming it wont fix.

I tried that as well, still nothing.

It doesn't even create a directory in the optware folder.

Should i be able to see it in a windows network mount of "//rt-n66U/optware/" ?

Edit: It must be saving it somewhere right? how can i browse the HDD? windows won't let me mount "//rt-n66U/", and i tried a bunch of ls and cd commands in putty but i couldn't find anything (not that i'm proficient in unix)

Last edited:
i understand that the 'optware' was your drive name right?
what i did before was, stop transmission daemon.
edit nano, change directory to tmp/mnt/(drive name)/transmission/downloads
add transmission folder and downloads manually through my computer
restart tranmission daemon
add new torrent.
viola!

Try again mount command and If is /dev/sdb1, remove label with:
# tune2fs /dev/sdb1 -L
# reboot
# mount
See how is mounted and change path in settings.json

*facepalm*

I was looking through the log of the router and i saw this "Jan 15 22:47:32 transmission-daemon[12031]: Saved "/tmp/mnt/OPTWARE/asusware/etc/transmission-daemon/stats.json" (bencode.c:1731)"

Then it dawned on me "... could it be case sensitive?"

So i tried "/tmp/mnt/OPTWARE/transmission" and it worked straight away....

There goes 6 hours of my life.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Last edited:
# tune2fs /dev/sdb1 -L
# reboot
# mount

Quick question though, I cannot map "//rt-n66u/" in windows, but i can mount "//rt-n66u/OPTWARE/". If i removed the label, how would i access the HDD via windows?

Quick question though, I cannot map "//rt-n66u/" in windows, but i can mount "//rt-n66u/OPTWARE/". If i removed the label, how would i access the HDD via windows?

Linux is case sensitive.
Access with //rt-n66u/sda1

# tune2fs /dev/sdb1 -L
# reboot
# mount

To remove label should add "" at the end:
# tune2fs /dev/sda1 -L ""
To change label:
# tune2fs /dev/sda1 -L "desired_label"

Yeah, I'll try that when I get home from work.

One thing I noticed last night though its that I can see my "videos" and "transmission" folder through windows but on my WD live box I can only see four folders called sda1, sda2, optware and OPTWARE each with the folders and data of the small test torrents I tried to download last night, but not the "videos" and "transmission" folders. So the on the hdd somewhere. How can I delete them?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

# tune2fs /dev/sdb1 -L
# reboot
# mount

removed label and rebooted. the mount command showed "/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)"

changed download path to /tmp/mnt/sda1/transmission... works perfectly.

Thanks TeHashX

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tutorial. I followed it step by step and basically its working.
The only thing left is the access from WAN. I did exactly as presented, but with the firewall ON, I cannot access it.

If I run in telnet the:
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT
then its working until the next reboot.
It looks like the script from the jffs is not executed.

I have installed merlin's firmware "RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_266.23b" since I have the AC version of the router.

Any idea?
:confused:

Already tried that but here is the response:
Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/jffs/scripts# ls -l
-rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root           195 Jan 19 14:12 firewall-start

It's ok, should work.
Do you have this lines in wan-start script? check with: nano /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
Try to open the 9091 port in virtual server

2qtx3ib.png

As in the tutorial, I have that in the "/jffs/scripts/firewall-start" not in the wan-start.

Should I have them in both?

I've tried doing the port forwarding, but I do not think you can forward a port to the router itself.

LE: Should I create a separate thread on the forum?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!