What's new

[TUTORIAL] Native Transmission on asuswrt routers through optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

is there any way to do it without ext2/3?

The drive I'm using is formatted ntfs with over a terabyte of data on it so I can't format the drive as I'd lose all that data.

Is there any way to do it without ext2/3?

I used tomato for a couple days and it had Transmission on it and I was using my ntfs drive with it n problem.

I appreciate any input you may have

Thanks.

my usb key in formatted in ext3 and the hard disk for data is in ntfs, so just try it.

It's just not 100% guarantee, maybe you are lucky, just try it...

The file sharing itself will probably work, it's Optware/Entware that will specifically require ext2/ext3 as it uses symlinks.

The file sharing itself will probably work, it's Optware/Entware that will specifically require ext2/ext3 as it uses symlinks.

Thanks, I guess that means on Tomato, entware/optware or Transmssion is installed somewhere on the router but in this case, I am installing it on the HDD?

So, if I switch the HDD to a different one after I've installed Transmission, does that mean it is gone and I have to do this process over again?

Also, I am currently on .23b Merlin build and later on when I update the firmware to one of many to come future releases, do I do this process over again?

Sorry for all my questions over the past few days.
I am completely lacking in all manners of knowledge in this subject matter, and I'm desperate to get it set up perfect before I have to start school again next week.

Thanks, I guess that means on Tomato, entware/optware or Transmssion is installed somewhere on the router but in this case, I am installing it on the HDD?

Correct. That's why I suggested using a USB flash drive that would be used only for the applications themselves (which requires an ext2/ext3 filesystem).

So, if I switch the HDD to a different one after I've installed Transmission, does that mean it is gone and I have to do this process over again?

That's correct, unless you copy the whole folder that contains your Entware/Optware installation to the new drive.

Also, I am currently on .23b Merlin build and later on when I update the firmware to one of many to come future releases, do I do this process over again?

No, Optware/Entware aren't affected by firmware upgrades.

Correct. That's why I suggested using a USB flash drive that would be used only for the applications themselves (which requires an ext2/ext3 filesystem).

So, if I have a usb flash drive on sda1 and hdd on sdb1 I adjust the commands accordingly?

when installing entware/optware, I'd install adjust the commands being put into Putty as sda1

and when installing the Transmission, I'd adjust the directories to sdb1 but leave the rest to sda1 so Transmssion would install onto flash drive but files will go to HDD correct?

ok so I deleted tons of old stuff I'll never need again and I formatted my 2tb goflex drive to ext3 using gparted.

Then I had to use ext2volume manager to be able to see the ext3 drive on my windows 7.

Then I moved about a 800gigs of data back onto it overnight.
Plugged into windows, I can read/write to the drive from my computer now.

But when I have it plugged into the router, I only have read access and I cannot write to it. It keeps saying I need permission to write to the drive.
If i reboot the router, I lose access to the drive completely. I have to eject the hdd then mount it again to gain read access again without write.

I tried plugging in a ntfs drive and it's working totally fine. and this ext3 drive was perfectly fine when it was ntfs before I formatted to ext3.

So what could be the problem? other people seem to be using ext3 drives with Merlin build.

Samba is set to share without account and It has r/w blacked in.

Last edited:
Try the last beta firmware, see the change log, has a fix for > 2tb drives

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Try the last beta firmware, see the change log, has a fix for > 2tb drives

I was on .24 then reverted to .23b to make sure it wasn't the firmware.

So I can assume everyone else using ext3 can write to it through the router's usb and this is just me?

Dunno why you can't write to hdd, I never had this issue, what software did you use to format to ext3?

New update

New version 2.76 available, just run:
# /opt/etc/init.d/S95transmission stop
# ipkg upgrade
# app_set_enabled.sh transmission yes

Hi i'm new in this forum....
I've followed tutorial and i install Transmission without problems.
The only problems is that i'm not able to reach it from the wan.
I'va tried some solution on thi forum but nothing
I think there is a problem on firewall scrip because when i use a site to see if port is open, it answer me that there is an erro.
Which kind of info i must give you to receive some help??

I've also tried to write manually iptables rule on telnet but nothing....

Help me please

Do you have a static ip or are you using a ddns service?
I asking because some users trying to access the lan ip from wan, 191.168.1.1:9091.
Firewall should be enabled in router's ui
Try to execute the firewall script and see if you get some errors, read some pages back.
# sh /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

I have a static ip.
I already use Transmission on my QNap and i'm able to rech it from the wan without any problem...so i think it's a script problem.
Now i try to execute the script as you write and then i will give you some feedback...

Thanks a lot for now

I've tried it but nothing happens when i press enter after the line in telnet no message..
i try canyouseeme.org and port 9091 is closed.
The strange thing is that the other port included in firewall script 51413 results open !!
So this mean that firewall script works for half ???

Help me please

Are you behind another router or modem maybe?
Try to change transmission port in settings.json and firewall-start script.
# nano /opt/etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
change "rpc-port": to 9095 for example
# nano /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
here change again from 9091 to 9095
save
reboot
now try yourwanip:9095

I hope Download Master is disabled or uninstalled

Download Master is disabled
I'm behind another router but open 9091 is correctly opened and forwarded to RT like 9092.

I'll try it later because i'm tryng to do mod you suggest, reboot router from remote and now my usb disk is connected but no mounted and i don't know how to mount it in remote.
Is there any possibility using telnet command or i must disconnect and reconnect it?

Just wait for 10-15 minutes, probably now is checked for errors, will mount automaticaly after, if not, reboot router again after a while.

You're right everythings works again but....
no way port 9095 results closed and port 51413 results open correctly....

I've tried also port 9092 that i regulary use for Transmission with Qnap but nothing to do....

Is there any other test that i can do ?

Forward port 9091 as 9091 not as 9092 on the other router like you did for 51413.
You have to reboot after modifying firewall-start or try with telnet:
# iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT
# iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9092 -j ACCEPT
depends on witch port is opened

Witch version of firmware do you have?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!