What's new

TV can't see DNLA server via RT-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I'm out of ideas. To be honest there's nothing to suggest there's a problem with your router (or network generally), everything points to it being a TV issue. :( I think you'll have to contact Panasonic, or ask around in their TV forums.

Well I'm out of ideas. To be honest there's nothing to suggest there's a problem with your router (or network generally), everything points to it being a TV issue. :( I think you'll have to contact Panasonic, or ask around in their TV forums.
Thanks for your input.
I appreciate your time & was a learning experience too.
Shame that a $1500 TV only 5 years old is extinct already.
At least Chromecast is working on it & hopefuly I can stream over 5Ghz via Plex.
Was really hoping to use ethernet for the better experience.

Shame that a $1500 TV only 5 years old is extinct already.
At least Chromecast is working on it & hopefuly I can stream over 5Ghz via Plex.

It's not extinct - but the Smart "stuff" to some degree is a victim of technology moving forward...

STB's like the Chromecast, AppleTV, Roku, and the myriad of Android TV boxes from China go a long way...

It's not extinct - but the Smart "stuff" to some degree is a victim of technology moving forward...

The whole Smart stuff concept wreaks of obsolescence before the product ships. Unless it's a $35 disposable dongle, it's probably not worth the time and trouble, imo.

OE

Have you tried installing a simple DLNA server on a PC as a test and see if the tv can see it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

STB's like the Chromecast, AppleTV, Roku, and the myriad of Android TV boxes from China go a long way...
Yeah, these dongle's & STB's made the TV manufacturers lazy as they had no desire to keep up with those software updates when all they had to do was play around with panels g color schemes .
Off that note, just realized today that I can use an Ethernet adapter with my Chromecast & still be able to stream via LAN vs. wireless.

So a bright side to all this troubleshooting .

Would Plex be simple enough?

It couldn't see it .
If you're asking if Plex is easy to set up, it's no harder than a DLNA server. Plex actually has it's own built in DLNA implementation that you can either choose to enable or disable.

I just don't like how the Plex client on certain platforms relies on transcoding despite the platforms supporting the required codecs. Also the fact that subtitles need to be muxed in on the fly or burned in before hand kind of sucks.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

The best option for me has always been some random "Kodi box" or Android TV box. They're so cheap and so powerful, it really doesn't matter that they might not be supported long term.

The best option for me has always been some random "Kodi box" or Android TV box. They're so cheap and so powerful, it really doesn't matter that they might not be supported long term.

If you're asking if Plex is easy to set up, it's no harder than a DLNA server. Plex actually has it's own built in DLNA implementation that you can either choose to enable or disable.

I just don't like how the Plex client on certain platforms relies on transcoding despite the platforms supporting the required codecs. Also the fact that subtitles need to be muxed in on the fly or burned in before hand kind of sucks.

I saw that Plex has the DNLA option & was trying to get to it from my TV but all the crap above proved it to be unattainable.
So it was a costly mistake for me to pay for the lifetime Plex Pass thinking it was going to solve my TV streaming issue.
Right now it serves as a nice organizational UI use case at best for me. :)

Haven't looked into Kodi yet as I got the Plex due to its popularity.

That's when I started thinking about streaming via the Chromecast on the 5Ghz WiFi band but frowned upon the possible performance issues with WiFi streaming that may occur with radio signals flying around.
Fortunately- saw some online about LAN ethernet being able to hook up to a Chromecast v1/v2 - so am giving that a go to see if performance will be as expected in lieu of not having DNLA.
I usually (plan to) copy my stuff to .mp4 ahead of time before streaming it - so the transcoding & subs included where needed - is minimal complication for the clients.

Last edited:
A Kodi box or really an Android TV box just gives you the power to decode your media using your preferred app, Kodi is optional, though Kodi is awesome in it's own right.

Plex is great where Kodi isn't available (you can use either on Android) and technically you can set up trakt.tv for both to enable watched episode sync across them all.

I use Plex a lot on PS4 but I would use Kodi if I could. The Plex pass is good if you need offline syncing or you want to use the android client on multiple devices but the free version of Plex is pretty much feature complete for LAN streaming.

Smart TV features can be convenient but they rarely perform as well as a dedicated device. I have working features on mine but never use them.

I have other issues (which you might run into) with the Plex ecosystem but if it's working and you're happy, that's all that matters :D

I have other issues (which you might run into) with the Plex ecosystem but if it's working and you're happy, that's all that matters :D

Well you hit it on the money here.
Got Plex to cast my PC's Chrome browser screen to the CC I just hooked up with the ethernet in the OP.
But it won't stream any video. Just hangs there as loading.

My preliminary research shows turning on UPnP - ugh!

Well you hit it on the money here.
Got Plex to cast my PC's Chrome browser screen to the CC I just hooked up with the ethernet in the OP.
But it won't stream any video. Just hangs there as loading.

My preliminary research shows turning on UPnP - ugh!
Yeah ... Plex for me is a last resort only option. I've had too many WTF moments with it.

I'd still recommend trying Kodi, with DLNA or a windows/samba share. It's completely free. Once you've added your library to Kodi and set it up to your liking, it's hard to use anything else. I really wish the PS4 had Kodi.

I have it on an Android box in bedroom, PC in lounge, mobile phone and tablet. Because you don't need a server to use Kodi, the episode info unfortunately is stored locally. To counter this all my Kodi instances are connected to trakt.tv and the watched episodes are synced across all devices.

Kodi is controller and remote friendly but not so much keyboard and mouse. Highly recommend connecting some kind of BT gamepad, like the PS4 controller.

Yeah ... Plex for me is a last resort only option. I've had too many WTF moments with it.

I'd still recommend trying Kodi, with DLNA or a windows/samba share. It's completely free. Once you've added your library to Kodi and set it up to your liking, it's hard to use anything else. I really wish the PS4 had Kodi.

I have it on an Android box in bedroom, PC in lounge, mobile phone and tablet. Because you don't need a server to use Kodi, the episode info unfortunately is stored locally. To counter this all my Kodi instances are connected to trakt.tv and the watched episodes are synced across all devices.

Kodi is controller and remote friendly but not so much keyboard and mouse. Highly recommend connecting some kind of BT gamepad, like the PS4 controller.

Well looks like it was a Firewall configuration issue in my Antivirus software.
Setup a specific rule in the firewall to open up a port for Plex & specific IP address for the TV & the casting to Chromecast works!
May try to unhook the CC & hook the ethernet back into the TV & see if I can get DNLA to work.

I'm surprised I never thought about the Firewall LOL! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well looks like it was a Firewall configuration issue in my Antivirus software.
Setup a specific rule in the firewall to open up a port for Plex & specific IP address for the TV & the casting to Chromecast works!
May try to unhook the CC & hook the ethernet back into the TV & see if I can get DNLA to work.

I'm surprised I never thought about the Firewall LOL! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Hah, no worries. Yeah that's why right at the start I suggested testing with multiple devices/clients, it helps isolate the problem to the server or the network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!