What's new

Two AX86U Aimesh @2.5G Ethernet backhaul possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OlaP

Occasional Visitor
Just got me a second Rt-AX86U set up as AImesh node. Running Merlin 386_beta1 on both RT-AX86U.

Under the Aimesh node management settings, under Connection Priority, there are three option: Automatic, 1G Wan Only, 2.5G Only (Ethernet Backhaul Mode enabled)
I have tried both Automatic and 2.5G only but cannot get the 2.5G connection working.

I can see that the Lan 5 port is connected at 2.5G on the main router when connecting backhaul cable to the 2.5GLan port on both routers.
Also several times I have permanently lost connection to the Node after trying. Only a reset and new setup (of the Node) got me back working Aimesh system.
Anyone else tried this?

Is it possible to use the 2.5G Lan ports on the RT-Ax86U for the Ethernet backhaul?
Since I can see the option 2.5G I assume it is suppose to be possible..

Aimesh.jpg

Set under dual wan settings.

Just got me a second Rt-AX86U set up as AImesh node. Running Merlin 386_beta1 on both RT-AX86U.

Under the Aimesh node management settings, under Connection Priority, there are three option: Automatic, 1G Wan Only, 2.5G Only (Ethernet Backhaul Mode enabled)
I have tried both Automatic and 2.5G only but cannot get the 2.5G connection working.

I can see that the Lan 5 port is connected at 2.5G on the main router when connecting backhaul cable to the 2.5GLan port on both routers.
Also several times I have permanently lost connection to the Node after trying. Only a reset and new setup (of the Node) got me back working Aimesh system.
Anyone else tried this?

Is it possible to use the 2.5G Lan ports on the RT-Ax86U for the Ethernet backhaul?
Since I can see the option 2.5G I assume it is suppose to be possible..

View attachment 28363

Presumably the 2.5G only setting should do it.

Are you using a suitable cable?

Perhaps add the node with a wireless backhaul first, install the 2.5G link, and then flip the 2.5G only switch. If that settles, switch to Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only... and look away! :)

OE

It works!

Tried a bit more and with everything set to auto and Ethernet backhaul mode disabled I get the 2.5G backhaul working.
I use a 30m Cat6 cable.

It gives me a bit better copy speed between two computers. One connected at about 2200Mbs on the main router and other at same speed on the Mesh node (Intel AX200 ship @160Mhz both close to routers).
with 1G wan I top out at about 111-112MBs with 2.5G I can see speed up to 125MB in both directions. So better (top speed) than 1G lan.

But there is a bug in the software since it says not connected (the red cross) and Great connection at the same time. Lan 5 is 2.5G on the AX86U.

2.5Glan.jpg

2.5G.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!