What's new

Ubiquiti Announces $89 AC1200 Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Common sense: 0
Compulsiveness: 1

I went ahead and ordered 3 of the pro models to replace two Asus N66's and one Fritzbox. The plan is to mount one on each floor of the house (nice thick concrete slabs between the floors).

The expected delivery date from my vendor is still second week of november.

Anyone got any tips on power tuning the AP's? (I will try to keep them away from the stairwell, so the concrete can do it's thing)

Common sense: 0
Compulsiveness: 1

I went ahead and ordered 3 of the pro models to replace two Asus N66's and one Fritzbox. The plan is to mount one on each floor of the house (nice thick concrete slabs between the floors).

The expected delivery date from my vendor is still second week of november.

Anyone got any tips on power tuning the AP's? (I will try to keep them away from the stairwell, so the concrete can do it's thing)
I don't have any tips, but do you mind mentioning which vendor you pre-ordered through?

A dutch reseller named Routershop (.nl)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, I should have looked at your Location and figured such when you mentioned concrete slabs between floors. My friend in Norway mentioned his new house being built in a similar fashion. No here in the US though from my experience. Thanks.

Does the newest controller support adaptive power and channel assignments?

UAP-AC-PRO costs 157,19 euros in Germany.

I have understood that in the past Ubiquiti's controller was just a monitoring and configuring tool and all access points were just "stupid" standalone models.

Last edited:
There is no DFS support so I could use only one 80 MHz channel. That rules out all Ubiquiti's UniFi AC products. Competitors can use four 80 MHz channels.

Last edited:
There is no DFS support so I could use only one 80 MHz channel. That rules out all Ubiquiti's UniFi AC products. Competitors can use four 80 MHz channels.

Ubiquiti has said that the new UAP-AC series will have DFS support. But they have said many things before, so who knows when it will be activated.

This delay is killing me here.. My wireless is terrible and I'm itching to put in a ceiling mounted AP with PoE smack in the middle of my house.

But it seems nobody knows when we'll actually be able to get these, I have a pre-order in right now but if they won't be available until December I'm considering spending the extra money and just getting a Ruckus R600. They just announced a controller-less firmware "Unleashed" and I can _almost_ justify to myself an extra $450.

Anybody think the R600 is worth that much more (plus the immediate gratification, lol) than an UAC-AC-Pro in a largish house with a fairly high wireless load?

Yes, I'm an impatient sort...

This delay is killing me here.. My wireless is terrible and I'm itching to put in a ceiling mounted AP with PoE smack in the middle of my house.

But it seems nobody knows when we'll actually be able to get these, I have a pre-order in right now but if they won't be available until December I'm considering spending the extra money and just getting a Ruckus R600. They just announced a controller-less firmware "Unleashed" and I can _almost_ justify to myself an extra $450.

Anybody think the R600 is worth that much more (plus the immediate gratification, lol) than an UAC-AC-Pro in a largish house with a fairly high wireless load?

Yes, I'm an impatient sort...

Throw money at the problem and let the rest of us know how effectively it solved it. :)

Throw money at the problem and let the rest of us know how effectively it solved it. :)

Lol.. unfortunately my main problem is impatience and poor impulse control. I have this trick I use to convince myself to buy expensive stuff. I figure a nice AP that works well will last me at least 5 years, so $450 price difference over 60 months is _only_ $7.50 a month!

Lol.. unfortunately my main problem is impatience and poor impulse control. I have this trick I use to convince myself to buy expensive stuff. I figure a nice AP that works well will last me at least 5 years, so $450 price difference over 60 months is _only_ $7.50 a month!

That is a trick to unlearn. :)

I am also looking forward to getting 3x the Pro version. I am currently running an Asus N66U (wireless turned off using Tomato by Shibby) with 3 of the Pro N versions. To get any speed I need to use the 5ghz band and its distance is pretty weak. I live in a 2 storey 5500sq foot apt that has upwards of 24-30 networks that I can pick up using the controller. I really need AC to blast some of this away ( I hope) Also, I also suffer with iDevices that I have found slowing down over the last year or so. Also the iPad has far greater wifi capability compared to the iphone 6.

I trust promises like "We plan to add that feature..." when the feature becomes available, not before.

A number of people have been looking forward to Zero Handoff on the UAP-AC for a long time now. Between lenty of IT hardware vendors, I've seen way too much "We plan to support..." that ended with either never doing it, or finding it harder to implement than imagined, or impossible due to something unforeseen, or just costly, and the words end up meaning nothing. Heck, my own ASUS RT-AC87R is "supposed to support MU-MIMO".

Never buy a product based on a promised upcoming feature. Buy it for what it has at the time it ships, and if you need a feature that is promised to be coming soon, vote with your wallet and tell them "Okay, I'll buy it when you've got that sorted out."

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!