What's new

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 8 150W Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
ubnt_edgeswitch8_product.jpg
Ubiquiti's Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 8 150W is a powerful managed switch that can be challenging to configure

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Nice unit - overkill for the home network, and perhaps even a small office (although it would work well in a small office) - medium size business or hospitality (think hotels), this is a nice unit.

Yes, a bit of a learning curve, but once there - there's a tremendous amount of flexibility - a lot of stuff inside a $200USD box...

How does it stand when comparing to Netgear GS110TP?

As far as I can tell, they are providing very similar functionalities. Major difference being PoE vs PoE+, but I understand it is mainly voltage different in implementation. What else am I missing? Is either of them potentially more powerful in performance or functionalities?

How does it stand when comparing to Netgear GS110TP?

As far as I can tell, they are providing very similar functionalities. Major difference being PoE vs PoE+, but I understand it is mainly voltage different in implementation. What else am I missing? Is either of them potentially more powerful in performance or functionalities?

Performance wise, they should be similar...

The GS110TP/GS108T's - they're good switches - some consider them L3 lite switches - e.g. they're true layer 3, but not to the extent of some of the others... the older models used to have a firmware hack that allowed command line, but the newer models don't have that - still the same - the ProSafes are a good bet at the price points. They're an amazing value when considering the functionality, and they're roughly 2x the price of an unmanaged switch, which is a great deal actually...

Reading thru UBNT's docs - the real power of the EdgeSwitch is in the CLI - the WebGUI is fairly powerful, but getting under the hood on the command line, it is a true Layer 3 switch... and again, at the $200USD price point - it's a terrific deal... buy two, put one in production, keep the other as a ready service spare.

Making the most of switches like this - one needs to be fairly attuned to network admin/engineering - most folks in the small business/home office arena might not need what switches like these offer...

Getting into Power over Ethernet - POE is pretty much standard, but when getting into vendor implementations of POE+, this will be more vendor dependent - UBNT's POE+ should work fine within their ecosystem, but might have issues with other vendor gear that expects POE+ - that being said, if the downstream is strict POE, this switch should support them just fine...

Would have been over the moon if it supported 10G SFP+

Pricing is coming down on 10GBe - but we're still looking (mid-2017) at about $100/port - which would put the price point quite a bit higher...

The SFP ports are useful for some, esp. with that have to work with different media (not all Ethernet is on CAT5/CAT6) - there's still value there in those two SFP ports... just keep in mind that the SFP transceivers are a cost adder there on top of the price of the switch.

Performance wise, they should be similar...

The GS110TP/GS108T's - they're good switches - some consider them L3 lite switches - e.g. they're true layer 3, but not to the extent of some of the others... the older models used to have a firmware hack that allowed command line, but the newer models don't have that - still the same - the ProSafes are a good bet at the price points. They're an amazing value when considering the functionality, and they're roughly 2x the price of an unmanaged switch, which is a great deal actually...

Reading thru UBNT's docs - the real power of the EdgeSwitch is in the CLI - the WebGUI is fairly powerful, but getting under the hood on the command line, it is a true Layer 3 switch... and again, at the $200USD price point - it's a terrific deal... buy two, put one in production, keep the other as a ready service spare.

Making the most of switches like this - one needs to be fairly attuned to network admin/engineering - most folks in the small business/home office arena might not need what switches like these offer...

Getting into Power over Ethernet - POE is pretty much standard, but when getting into vendor implementations of POE+, this will be more vendor dependent - UBNT's POE+ should work fine within their ecosystem, but might have issues with other vendor gear that expects POE+ - that being said, if the downstream is strict POE, this switch should support them just fine...
Thanks for detailed reply!

I actually do own GS110TP and GS108Tv2 for a home office setup. They sure are L3 lite switches and missing CLI is not exactly a problem for me after I finally managed to understand their web UI. That being said, I am wondering if a CLI would be better option for new users on such switches. Presumably that will allow user to reach function they need more directly.

As for PoE+, I think the standard basically is just increasing voltage of power on cable and reusing existing negotiation protocol with minor parameter change? Surely that provides higher wattage, but how does it affect compatibility in actual environment?

For 10GE, Ubiquiti's EdgeSwitch 16 XG is worth checking out. 12 x SPF+ and 4 x RJ45 10GbaseT for less than $500.

Mikrotik is similar to Ubuiqiti in features and have some interesting products. I'm running my home network off their 326-24G-2S+RM that has 24 x GE + 2 x SPF+ and sells for about $100.

Great products!

actually mikrotik has 10Gb/s for less. Mikrotik's variant has 16 SFP+ instead and a 1Gb/s port for management/CPU WAN and also console too. Ubiquiti doesnt post hardware specs of their switch but mikrotik does.

Mikrotik's version is the CRS317-1G-16S+RM, costs $400.
Has 1GB of ram
A weird dual core CPU
storage not worth mentioning
Dual boot routerOS/swOS

Ubiquiti's x16 costs $500, does not list the hardware inside only features.

Feature wise they're both very similar with a few minor difference and with mikrotik relying on you to set it up and ubiquiti providing a couple of features that is basically pre set.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the Unifi versions of this exact switch (US-8-150W), and I think other than LAG, everything else is supported under the 5.5.x controller, and it's a lot less of a PITA to configure too... that Unifi GUI is easily the most user-friendly GUI I've run into in all my years of networking. I think LAG support is coming in 5.6 or 5.7, now in alpha. Throughput is about the same as far as I can test it. Might want to look at that too as an option.

Hi all,

I have had enough of the all in one network solutions, like my ASUS RT88U. You can do somethings and not others...
It's time to upgrade, for advanced Routing and switching configurations and tweaking I like Ubiquiti EdgeMax line

SB8200:
http://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb8200/

EdgeRouter 5-Port PoE:
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-poe/

EdgeSwitch 8 150W:
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-8-150w/

UAP AC HD:
https://unifi-hd.ubnt.com/

what do you think

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!