What's new

Ugh, crosstalk issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so there would be 2 cat5e cables coming into wall junction box? I haven't come across that yet. But I guess that would make more sense than randomly splicing the connections together hidden behind the wall

so there would be 2 cat5e cables coming into wall junction box? I haven't come across that yet. But I guess that would make more sense than randomly splicing the connections together hidden behind the wall

Anythings possible but even if two cables were spliced together you would think your tester would have shown something.

I've finally come across a junction box with 2 cat5e cables entering and using the blue and white from each cable onto the 2 sets of terminals on the back of a telephone jack.

what would be the process to convert this junction box over?

From your description it sounds like one of the Cat5e's goes back to your basement and the other goes to another junction box somewhere, correct? So effectively, there is another junction box that is "daisy chained" of this one.

You will need to disconnect the cable that goes to the other junction box. That other box will then need to have a new cable installed between it and the basement.

Edit: It is technically possible to run the data for 2 sockets down one cable by using 2 pairs for one socket and 2 pairs for the other (you would have to separate them out again at the basement end). In such a case each socket would be limited to 100BASE-TX.

Last edited:
From your description it sounds like one of the Cat5e's goes back to your basement and the other goes to another junction box somewhere, correct? So effectively, there is another junction box that is "daisy chained" of this one.

You will need to disconnect the cable that goes to the other junction box. That other box will then need to have a new cable installed between it and the basement.

Edit: It is technically possible to run the data for 2 sockets down one cable by using 2 pairs for one socket and 2 pairs for the other (you would have to separate them out again at the basement end). In such a case each socket would be limited to 100BASE-TX.
If it is serving the same room or small area with the two cables, i would just stop at the first and install a switch/wireless router/ap with multiple lan ports. Then terminate the ongoing cable and plug it into the switch. No need for a new home run cable or using all the pairs.

Another option if want to maintain 1000 Mbps connections is to install a small five port un managed switch in the vicinity of the wall box with two cables.

Terminate both cables 568B and plug them into the switch. The $25 you spend on the switch will save you the aggravation of determining the correct pinning and you should end up with two 1 Gig capable Ethernet drops. Depending on the distance this box is from your wiring center you may be able to power the switch using POE if there isn't a plug you can use near the box with two cables. Gigabyte POE injectors can be found for $10.

If your significant other thinks hanging a small switch on the wall is ugly see if you can mollify them by painting the switch to match the wall.

I think I will just terminate the daisy chained line and just either leave the phone jack dead on the wall or put a blank plate on it. It's in the master bedroom that has a phone jack on both sides of the bed. Also so far everything is going pretty well. Turns out the legend the previous owner left with the cables labeled by number was really really wrong. So the cable checker was simply checking the wrong line. The major purpose of this project was to get wired internet into my wives computer/crafting room. I was using a wifi adapter but it would crap out a lot, and I'm not sure if it was the adapter, the usb bus, or just general wifi interference. Also the wifi in the house has acted weird in the past, on the 2.4ghz spectrum although there wasn't a crazy amount of competing traffic it would be very very slow, and I tested it using my cell phone, laptop, firestick, etc. 5ghz is fine but the range is limited. It was truly weird when connected to 2.ghz I would get sometimes less than a megabit speed and my cell phone would be inches away from the router so you'd think if it was the neighbors wifi competing that my router would win. I tested it with my router's wifi, comcasts built in wifi, it didn't matter. So now that the major hurdle is over I can use one of my older routers as an access point to spread my signal farther. Also so far according to the green [and not yellow] light on the switch I should be connected at 1000mbps

Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way.

I truly appreciate it.

Attachments

• progress.png
    progress.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 356
I think I will just terminate the daisy chained line and just either leave the phone jack dead on the wall or put a blank plate on it. It's in the master bedroom that has a phone jack on both sides of the bed. Also so far everything is going pretty well. Turns out the legend the previous owner left with the cables labeled by number was really really wrong. So the cable checker was simply checking the wrong line. The major purpose of this project was to get wired internet into my wives computer/crafting room. I was using a wifi adapter but it would crap out a lot, and I'm not sure if it was the adapter, the usb bus, or just general wifi interference. Also the wifi in the house has acted weird in the past, on the 2.4ghz spectrum although there wasn't a crazy amount of competing traffic it would be very very slow, and I tested it using my cell phone, laptop, firestick, etc. 5ghz is fine but the range is limited. It was truly weird when connected to 2.ghz I would get sometimes less than a megabit speed and my cell phone would be inches away from the router so you'd think if it was the neighbors wifi competing that my router would win. I tested it with my router's wifi, comcasts built in wifi, it didn't matter. So now that the major hurdle is over I can use one of my older routers as an access point to spread my signal farther. Also so far according to the green [and not yellow] light on the switch I should be connected at 1000mbps

Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way.

I truly appreciate it.

i have heard that you need to be about 1 meter away as a minimum.

Another option if want to maintain 1000 Mbps connections is to install a small five port un managed switch in the vicinity of the wall box with two cables.

Terminate both cables 568B and plug them into the switch. The $25 you spend on the switch will save you the aggravation of determining the correct pinning and you should end up with two 1 Gig capable Ethernet drops. Depending on the distance this box is from your wiring center you may be able to power the switch using POE if there isn't a plug you can use near the box with two cables. Gigabyte POE injectors can be found for $10.

Good advice actually - in residential punchdowns - it's very useful to have a switch in play... sounds complicated at first, but draw things out, and it makes a lot of sense...

Getting organized, so far everything is connecting at gigabit speeds! :)

Attachments

• 20170129_154445.jpg
    20170129_154445.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 410