What's new

UI reports no internet connection except its all working fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

5stringdeath

Regular Contributor
I don't often log into my router cause it just works. However this morning I see this, despite the fact that my internet works fine and I'm getting my full gig speeds. Did a reboot, nothing changed.

I have no idea how long ago this started but it did work under current firmware at some point.

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 06.13.59.png

You will get a false disconnected status if the router can't resolve dns.msftncsi.com (assuming you haven't change it to something else).

Is the router using IPv6?

You will get a false disconnected status if the router can't resolve dns.msftncsi.com (assuming you haven't change it to something else).

Is the router using IPv6?
It is not using IPv6 (anymore) - my FiOS has been native IPV6 for sometime and they seem to have disabled it in my area recently for some reason. Anyhow I discussed that in another thread ... but that idea did cross my mind, so I changed IPv6 to "disabled" and rebooted again this morning before posting this.

Diversion is the only add-on I use and its never blocked it before ....

Diversion is the only add-on I use and its never blocked it before ....
It's easy to check whether this is the problem or something else, just do an nslookup dns.msftncsi.com from your router.

Code:
# nslookup dns.msftncsi.com
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain

Name:      dns.msftncsi.com
Address 1: 131.107.255.255 dns.msftncsi.com
Address 2: fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

Yep, resolves fine -- but the router decided to show its connection status properly now so ... must have been an ISP glitch. Thanks.

Code:
Address 1: fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1
Address 2: 131.107.255.255 dns.msftncsi.com

Yep, resolves fine -- but the router decided to show its connection status properly now so ... must have been an ISP glitch. Thanks.

Code:
On a side note; it's interesting that your router is returning the IPv6 address before the IPv4 address. AFAIK it should only be doing that when your router has IPv6 enabled.

Yep, resolves fine. However my router is now showing proper connection. Maybe something glitched on my ISP this morning. Thanks.

Code:

On a side note; it's interesting that your router is returning the IPv6 address before the IPv4 address. AFAIK it should only be doing that when your router has IPv6 enabled.
I agree. I live in one of Verizon's original IPV6 testbeds in MA and there's been chatter that they have been reconfiguring our area due to expanded national roll-outs but .... who knows really. At least everything is working fine :)

I agree. I live in one of Verizon's original IPV6 testbeds in MA and there's been chatter that they have been reconfiguring our area due to expanded national roll-outs but .... who knows really. At least everything is working fine :)
It was more a comment about your router rather than what your ISP is doing. You said in post #3 that you had disabled IPv6 on the router so the router shouldn't even be aware of the existence of IPv6 on the Verizon network. It's not important, just a curious anomaly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!