What's new

Unable to connect to router from outside LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe your "modem's" public IP address has changed. Are you using DDNS on the Asus router?
Yes.. this is what I've been using for a while and it worked until recently.

1665260044565.png

It would be worth checking that the config file that your VPN client is using has your DDNS name in there rather than an IP address.
This is what the config file shows...

# Config generated by Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7, requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote 192.168.254.64 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
float
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server

If I can't make it work again, I may try to use a Powerline Adapter to connect my work computer to the router if I set the Modem in bridge mode. The only thing I worry about is, I make and receive voip calls for work and I know Powerline Adapters are very sensitive to interference and it could make me drops calls.

I rather not have to do this and I prefer to get it to work as it was before with these same settings. Not sure what happened since I didn't make any changes to the modem. I rarely ever connect to the modem to do anything at all. So I am confused as to why it would just stop working.

This is what the config file shows...

# Config generated by Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7, requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote 192.168.254.64 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
float
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server
The remote line in the config is wrong.

Change "remote 192.168.254.64 1194" so that is has your DDNS name instead of 192.168.254.64. For example:
Code:
remote mydns.asuscomm.com 1194

Last edited:
If the config is wrong, why would Asus generate a config with the wrong info.. and also, how come it's been working fine all this time?

Probably not, I don't use that DDNS service so don't know how that works. It's whatever you used in post #22.

If the config is wrong, why would Asus generate a config with the wrong info.. and also, how come it's been working fine all this time?
I can only guess that the config file your client is using was generated sometime in the past. It would only have worked if you were testing it from inside your LAN. That config file will not work from the internet.

I just generated it today and it shows the same thing. It's the same config info I've been using for a while. I would go to the store and I would connect to the router without issues.
It stopped connecting just a few days ago.

This is the page on how to setup DnsoMatic which is part of OpenDns.

I just generated it today and it shows the same thing. It's the same config info I've been using for a while. I would go to the store and I would connect to the router without issues.
It stopped connecting just a few days ago.
I can't guess what's happened with your router, but 192.168.254.64 is not a public IP address therefore it will never be reachable from the internet.

This is the page on how to setup DnsoMatic which is part of OpenDns.

That's all Greek to me. Just use the DDNS name you created.

Not sure what you mean by "use the ddns name you created".
I didn't create the ddns name, I just made an account which is the username (my email) and password... that's it. No ddns name was issued.
All the info for this particular ddns is listed on my post #21

OK. Looking on YouTube it seems like you're only using DnsoMatic to tell OpenDNS what your IP address so that it can do DNS filtering. In other words, you are not using it as a DDNS service (despite the name).

So, without a DDNS name you will have to take the public IP address you found earlier and use that in the client's config file instead of 192.168.254.64.

Of course, when that IP address changes in the future you will have to manually update it again.

Right, I use OpenDns for content filtering and I thought since DnsOmatic was in the list of ddns, I was ok to use it.
So I thought I was killing 2 birds with one shot.. dnsomatic was updating OpenDns with my public IP automatically and I can also connect to my router from outside the LAN.

Now, I have a VPN (true VPN) running on the router, so that IP would be from the VPN services not my actual IP.. is this going to be a conflict?

Last edited:
OpenDns has an updater app for Windows that updates OpenDns with my public IP, but it only works when I am not using a VPN. Once I disconnect from the VPN (true vpn), then the updater starts working.
So I guess I won't be able to use OpenDns along with a VPN unless I manually update the IP address, which I am not planning on doing :(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!