What's new

Unable to delete folders in ext. HDD connected to ASUS RT-N66U ..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahmadka

Regular Contributor
Hi guys .. So about a month or so back I managed to connect a 5TB Seagate NTFS drive to my ASUS RT-N66U (374.41 Merlin). I'll post my previous discussion thread links below for those interested.

The issue I have now is that there are some folders which I created on my networked 5TB drive, but am now unable to delete. Whenever I try to delete such a folder, I get a message such as this:

Code:
You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from
S-1-5-21-568250245-2721785068-322669887-1000 to make changes to this folder

Image:

uKyXpqB.png

When I try to change the owner of such a folder in Windows, I get the following error:

Code:
The program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine whether the computer named "RT-N66U" is joined to the domain. Close this message, and try again

Image:

wvzaXwL.png

I read somewhere that I can probably delete such folder from command prompt using this command (running as Administrator):

Code:
rd /s/q DirectoyNameHere

I tried that, but even then I get 'Access is denied.' error. And yes, I was running command prompt as administrator.

So how do I delete such folders ?

Can you re-attach the drive directly to your windows pc and try to take ownership there?

One other idea....if the sharing is not enabled for guest access on the router, try setting guest access mode.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!