What's new

Unable to get port-forwarding to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been using RT-AX88U for about 2 years. In Dec 2019 when I initially setup the router, I had the same issue of port forwarding not working, then in late January a firmware upgrade fixed that, and port forwarding worked flawlessly, that is until November '21 when the ports were not opening up AGAIN. I use port forwarding for RDP and now need to try RDP up to 10x before able to connect. What a pain.

This is confirmed using https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check if the port is open. It'll say CLOSED a bunch of times, then after several tries it'll say OPEN, without rhyme or reason. I use the same router at home and can replicate the issue.

Edit: UPnP is NOT enabled

Do you get the same results checking ports here: GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling

OE

Port​
transpixel.gif

Status​
Protocol and Application​
transpixel.gif

3xxx​
transpixel.gif

OPEN!
sdt-lmd
SDT License Manager

OK finally figured it out after reading more forums.
The firewall on AX-88u blocks the port forwarding. If you want port forward, you need to disable the firewall. Pick which one you want :mad:. I'm moving away from the router for that specific reason.

I believe your conclusion isn't valid. There are more things to try to get your network and router working as you want.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!