What's new

Unable to set dns on device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yellowdog22

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys
I'm trying to set a dns server address on a smart Tv different to router dns which is set to cloud flare at the moment. How ever when I set the TV to the other dns it won't connect to the Internet.
So my question is could there be a setting on the router that's not allowing devices to have a different dns setting?
I've looked but I can't find anything.
Cheers!

Hi guys
I'm trying to set a dns server address on a smart Tv different to router dns which is set to cloud flare at the moment. How ever when I set the TV to the other dns it won't connect to the Internet.
So my question is could there be a setting on the router that's not allowing devices to have a different dns setting?
Cheers!
Only if you are using Merlin firmware with DNS Filter set to router. However, if you are trying to use an upstream DNS resolver in a different country you may be running into Geo-location blocking.

Only if you are using Merlin firmware with DNS Filter set to router. However, if you are trying to use an upstream DNS resolver in a different country you may be running into Geo-location blocking.
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to add a different dns on the TV to circumvent geo location which I've done successfully before on my old router on the same internet connection.
I have a firestick connected to the network and I'm able to use a seperate dns there so it's a bit strange.

What is the address you are trying to set on the TV? Is it just this specific address that prevents internet access or does it also happen with other addresses (e.g. 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9)?

Hi guys
Cheers!
If you're using a smart DNS provider and you haven't logged in; or if for some reason you have a different IP to the one logged in at the Smart DNS; then your Smart DNS provider will not respond properly to requests from it's redirected services (although usually they're nice enough to pass through other DNS requests) and it'll look like you're disconnected. Use a device sharing the same WAN connection to check you've activated your current IP address. (You may still get a red light for DNS address not configured if that device is set to Cloudflare but it should say if it's activated or not)

Ah ok I have dug in a bit deeper. This happens only, so far on a LG TV with webos. If the ip of the tv is set on the router to go via vpn fusion and i try to add a custom dns setting on the tv it won't connect. However, If i set the tv to auto connect (which takes the router ip as the dns) it works. But if I use another ip for the tv that is't using the vpn fusion then I can succesffuluy connect with a custom dns. It is strange that an amazon firestick done the same way works ok but not the tv.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!