What's new

Unable to stream camera out of LAN, have done loads before.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can get that relative watching you in lots of ways. One would be to export your camera configuration to .XML and just edit the .XML file manually to cut out things you don't want that person to have. Alternatively, you can back up your own full config to .XML, wipe your config and re-add just what you want that person to have, export that config as .XML and send it to them to import. They would also need to import your OpenVPN config, yes. You can restrict what that config gives them access to, but this is a little outside of the super simple VPN config I have described.

Seriously tho, in the time it has taken to discuss this just so far, you could be watching your cams in OpenVPN. It is a lot easier, and the giant step up in security is a bonus. There are kids using tools like Shodan, masscan and zmap to scan the entire internet address space in under an hour looking for cameras and other vulnerabilities. Having 554 open essentially guarantees you will be probed many times a day, all day. If there is even the slightest vulnerability in anything that you have exposed, it is a given that it has been hacked, and you likely wouldn't even know it. This is the same as being a litterbug or a shoplifter because even if you are only participating unknowingly in a DDoS botnet, you are contributing to a problem that impacts every internet user. When I hear "Oh I just open ports on my router" I see someone flinging an empty McDonalds bag out the window of a moving car. And I feel like that native American in that old 70s commercial...
I don't know what you mean by "Port range 10554" this is what I keep asking about. Why are you opening up a range? You likely only need one port - 554 - for each RTSP camera. I use a VPN which doesn't involve all this cumbersome port forwarding, IMHO doing that was made obsolete (at least for our purposes) many years ago by VPNs, so I may be wrong, but you should only need the one single port on TCP (UDP RTSP is possible but it should work fine without).

I do not know if a paint by numbers exists for exporting your camera config, but there are many great tutorials for both TinyCam and XML.
So you're telling me for each camera/ip address i only need to open port 554 ? My router won't let me open 554 more than for one ip address, that's my sticking point.
Also, if that did work, then what do i type in tinycam for web port number ? Not RTSP port number.
Thanks guys.

So you're telling me for each camera/ip address i only need to open port 554 ? My router won't let me open 554 more than for one ip address, that's my sticking point.
Also, if that did work, then what do i type in tinycam for web port number ? Not RTSP port number.
Thanks guys.
Just tried to leave port range box empty, i got this pop up "Local IP or port range fields cannot be empty!".

Thanks guys.

Yes, one port.

We explained how to open 554 on each camera by mapping it to another external port. Port 554 on 192.168.0.4 on your LAN becomes port 55400 on the WAN.

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_112341.jpg
    IMG_20200518_112341.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 112
@pkbristol When testing your port forwarding make sure you are testing it from the internet and you are not connected to the local network.

Valid point, just turn off WiFi on your phone and leave mobile data on. TinyCam can be configured to detect NAT and auto-switch configs, but let's not go there yet.

Yes, one port.

We explained how to open 554 on each camera by mapping it to another external port. Port 554 on 192.168.0.4 on your LAN becomes port 55400 on the WAN.
Ok i'm using my asus DDNS as hosting, i list these problem cameras, (in tinycam) as Hikvision, i don't know how to fill in that request part in tinycam, if i change the camera to generic like yours. Honestly this is a headache, it shouldn't be this hard.
Thanks guys.

@pkbristol When testing your port forwarding make sure you are testing it from the internet and you are not connected to the local network.
Yes, wifi switched off, using phone network.

onestly this is a headache, it shouldn't be this hard.
Thanks guys.

It isn't. You are just doing it in the hardest way possible.

Yes, one port.

Ok so then can you tell me what numbers to type into Port range (can't be left blank), Local port, then in tinycam tell me what to type in Web port number and RTSP port. if that doesn't work then 2 hikvision cameras are going in the bin.
Thanks mate.

Maybe,but,,,,it should still be doable.

It is. And you could ride a horse to the office instead of driving a car, and you could send telegrams instead of using a cellphone. But those things aren't the best way to go, in most situations.

I would have to look at my router and figure out what to type where, and frankly that would feel like I am cleaning up the mess your horse left behind because you opted not to drive. Getting up off my comfy couch and interrupting a Psych marathon is too much to ask, I am just not that nice a guy.

@pkbristol Just a thought.... go to WAN > NAT Passthrough and disable RTSP Passthrough.
Thanks Colin, so i just did what you said, it made no difference. The only RTSP camera that i can get to stream out of my lan is the one that has both ports open.
Thanks anyway, Paul.

It is. And you could ride a horse to the office instead of driving a car, and you could send telegrams instead of using a cellphone. But those things aren't the best way to go, in most situations.

I would have to look at my router and figure out what to type where, and frankly that would feel like I am cleaning up the mess your horse left behind because you opted not to drive. Getting up off my comfy couch and interrupting a Psych marathon is too much to ask, I am just not that nice a guy.
It's ok mate, i have a usuable CCTV set up at the moment, it allows me to watch my house, get alerts etc when i'm not home, sometimes i stay out overnight to look after sick relative, the reason i'm not comfortable with the VPN stuff is because i don't understand it and i don't want to get up to my neck in stuff i don't understand and be left without a cCCTV setup when i have to leave my house. I know you say the VPN is easy, but things are only easy if you know.I'm a qualified electrician, i have lost count of how many houses i've rewired, it's easy, easy to me, not easy to someone who doesn't know about electrics, i have relative who is top of his game at gas stuff, yet he has no clue about electrics, he's tried, it was comical!!

Is port 554 the only port that is required? What is the model number of the cameras.
I've lost track of what ports are required, for the camera that works i've made 2 rules, port range cannot be left blank.
The camera that does stream out is as follows, 2 port forward rules
C6-1 ( camera name)
Port range 554
ip 192.168.0.5
Local port 554
Protocol BOTH

AND
Port range 11554
ip 192.168.0.5
Local Port 11554
Protocol BOTH

EZViz C1 and C6 are the 2 cameras, they're rebranded Hikvision.
The cameras have their own app, scan QR code, boom, it works, the limitation is only 4 streams live maximum, not enough for me, also, tinycam is a really good app so i'd rather view them with that app.

Here you go, maybe this helps.

Just do exactly that for all cameras, except increment 55400 to 55401, 55402 etc for each one.

And hah, I have been filling quarantine time by tinkering with IoT and home automation, just getting my feet wet with it. I am at the point where I have to install some modified light switches in my walls, and I have no bloody idea if I have a "neutral wire" or not. We all have our own skills, and I envy yours

To make an analogy though, hearing you say you open ports on your router is akin to me telling you that I am bypassing all my fuses and circuit breakers, because my electricity WILL work without them. Yes, it will, but would you do it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_121550.jpg
    IMG_20200518_121550.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 109
...then go into TinyCam, select Scan Network and pull down the menu in the upper right and select Advanced Scan and input the camera info like in this picture. That will let TinyCam automatically configure itself for that camera.

Do this for all of your cameras, and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_122617.jpg
    IMG_20200518_122617.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 97
Here you go, maybe this helps.

Just do exactly that for all cameras, except increment 55400 to 55401, 55402 etc for each one.

And hah, I have been filling quarantine time by tinkering with IoT and home automation, just getting my feet wet with it. I am at the point where I have to install some modified light switches in my walls, and I have no bloody idea if I have a "neutral wire" or not. We all have our own skills, and I envy yours

To make an analogy though, hearing you say you open ports on your router is akin to me telling you that I am bypassing all my fuses and circuit breakers, because my electricity WILL work without them. Yes, it will, but would you do it?
Mate i've tried all the settings i can think of,nothing works. no one has actually told me what to type in each box, so i've given up. Regarding your light switch and the neutral, you may or may not have a neutral at the light switch depending on how the wiring was installed, the neutral may be at the switch or may be in the ceiling. at the switch you could have brown and blue (live and switch live) or black and red (old wiring live and switch live) or 3 x cables, (9 wires) in which case you probably have a neutral at the switch, if it's a one gang switch (keeping things simple),,,,see what i mean, easy when you know.
Thanks.

Yep I do see.

Did you look at the picture I attached to that post? It might help.