What's new

Unable to stream camera out of LAN, have done loads before.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

...then go into TinyCam, select Scan Network and pull down the menu in the upper right and select Advanced Scan and input the camera info like in this picture. That will let TinyCam automatically configure itself for that camera.

Do this for all of your cameras, and you should be good to go.
Scan network ? Tinycam isn't on the network, that's the whole point, it's on my phone for remote viewing, i access my cameras through the hosting, not the internal ip addresses. It's ok mate, i've knocked it on the head now, i'll stick to my mjpegs, they just work.
Thanks.

OK, sorry about that. I was hoping you would get it. You could just put the DDNS into the TinyCam scan field, it doesn't necessarily have to be on the same local network. If the proper ports are open, it will work.

Just holler if you feel like taking another shot at it. I really do understand not wanting to move into unfamiliar territory with a VPN, but it doesn't sound like you are fully understanding port forwarding as it is, and at least at the application side where us end users live, the complexity is about the same. Be well mate.

As for my Psych marathon, Shawn and Gus caught the bad guy, so at least one happy ending. :)

Fack !!!!!! It's working !!!
Router settings,,,
Port range (the port i chose)
Local port 554

On tinycam on my phone, yes wifi is switched off, phone is on 4G phone network.
Tinycam settings for the camera
Web port (the port i chose)
RTSP port...554
The hostname !!!! My asus hosting blah blah blah.asuscomm.com (the port i chose),,, it was port number i had to add at the end of the hosting.
I now have both cameras working.
Thanks Peeps.

Last edited:
I won't be much help with forwarding ports, that is a really cumbersome and complicated way of doing what you want, but for what it is worth:

Say you have a camera that uses the standard RTSP port 554. That camera has an IP of 192.168.50.50. So you make a port forward that points 192.168.50.50:554 to external port 55400. Then in TinyCam, change the RTSP port to 55400 and volia, camera magic.

Honestly it gives me a headache just thinking about exposing 554, but no need to beat a dead horse. But you *are* potentially exposing the good people you are watching over, too. Just something to think about.

In your VPN config, go to OpenVPN Server. Turn it on, export a config, import that config to your phone, then close all those ports that you have open, then scan with TinyCam. Boom, like magic all your cameras will be accessible, and your infrastructure is vastly safer for everyone involved. Dead horse, I know, but it is important enough to emphasize. :)
Hi Distilled. So i've had a play with the VPN, i've got one camera working, from my phone network, not wifi/lan, i opened tinycam, copied one of my previous cameras but changed the asus hosting to the lan ip of the same camera, and it worked (feels weird streaming a lan ip from outside the network lol).
Question 1, does open VPN on the android device run all the time ? Or can it be configured only on opening tinycam or what ?
Question 2, if i get another VPN config file from another Asus router which is at another location, can i load that config file into open VPN on the same android device ?
Question 3, if the answer to question 2 is yes and lest say that the ip address of the camera at the 2nd location is the same ip address (static given by the router), how will tinycam differentiate between 2 different cameras ?
Or am i loading tinycam the wrong way ? Ie manually adding the cameras ?

Thanks, Paul.

Okay, first, congrats, what you are doing is absolutely superior, IMHO.

Question 1: You can leave the client connected, or connect to it on-demand. You could even use the Android app Tasker to automate some of the opening.

Question 2: Yep, you can load multiple files, and just tap on the one you want. You can only connect to one at a time, though.

Question 3: You can only (easily) open one VPN connection at a time, so TinyCam differentiating between them isn't an issue. You can (probably) easily change the IP scope of a given LAN though, unless you have lots of static setup.

If you need to be able to see different cameras at once (I do) you can aggregate them all in iSpy, Zoneminder, Blue Iris, motionEye or some other software, then just VPN to that machine. One way to do that is use an Asus router at your house to set up all of the VPNs to the remote cameras, point them to your camera box, then set up a VPN server to remote into. I do this with Blue Iris, and it works well. That way you only need one VPN, and all of your cameras in TinyCam point to Blue Iris, which runs a webserver and rebroadcasts your video feeds. It does a bunch of other cool stuff too, A.I. motion / person detection, license plate recognition, recording, SMS and email notifications etc.

A central point for aggregating and organizing your cameras really makes the whole process a lot easier. I can tell if someone walks past a window, or get the license plate of any car that pulls into the driveway of one of my places when I am not there. Pretty danged handy for a cheap piece of software.

You can certainly do it any way you like, it should function fine either way. Just know that cameras are notoriously insecure, so by opening up ports, you expose your entire infrastructure. There are still pretty severe ONVIF vulnerabilities in lots of cameras.

The VPN route is actually easier than managing all that port forwarding, anyway. It might be new to you, and what you are already familiar with certainly seems easier, but it really isn't.

On your 68u, just go to VPN and then the VPN Server tab. Turn Server 1 on, Apply and press the Export button.

Then put that file you exported on your phone and install the OpenVPN client on your phone. If it is an Android, go here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn

Then run the client you just installed, hit the + and import the config file you exported from your router.

Now you have a much more secure way of accessing your entire home network from your phone.

You can have TinyCam scan the IP addresses of your cameras (use Advanced Scan) and it will identify and configure them for you.

ThisI is from memory and if I left out any steps, hopefully someone will say something, but this should do it. It is about a million times safer than opening up your firewall and exposing cameras.
Hello Distilled, I also would like info on setting up OpenVPN for a TP-Link AX3000... looks fairly simple. Just not sure if I need to choose TCP or UDP, change service port or subnet mask sections. I assume I select home network only not internet and home network.

Any insite would help.. gonna tinker for time being.