What's new

Unbound unbound dns firewall (noobish question)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmt

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys, got a question related to unbound (installed on AX86U) , specifically to the unbound GUI, what is the purpose of DNS firewall (what should be reflected there in case it contains something) and why it is completely empty in my case.

Thanks for your inputs

Attachments

• unbound.JPG
    unbound.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 252
  • unbound_dns_firewall.JPG
    unbound_dns_firewall.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 287
Hi, thank you Martineau, I have Diversion enabled which causes unbound to throw a conflict message, so I've decided to not enable AdBlock in unbound. OK, so now It is clear what DNS firewall does "by enabling the DNS firewall in unbound_manager , this creates a cron job every 15 mins to refresh the rules maintained by URLhaus". The fact that the GUI graph is empty means there are no hits on the malware rules detected if I understand correctly.

Hi, thank you Martineau, I have Diversion enabled which causes unbound to throw a conflict message, so I've decided to not enable AdBlock in unbound. OK, so now It is clear what DNS firewall does "by enabling the DNS firewall in unbound_manager , this creates a cron job every 15 mins to refresh the rules maintained by URLhaus". The fact that the GUI graph is empty means there are no hits on the malware rules detected if I understand correctly.

As per the FAQ
You can enable both AdBlock+Unbound concurrently.

You should click/read the URLHaus description to understand how/why they provide the RPZ DNS Firewall rules, and what the DNS Firewall is designed to do.

However, personally I recall I have only ever observed one specific DNS Firewall hit on the GUI graphs, but it is refreshed every 15mins since URLHaus attempts to be proactive in responding quickly to emerging/identified current real-time threats, so I leave it ACTIVE - just in case.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Thank you!
No problem.

P.S. As per the convention in the Addons forum, could you please edit the thread title with the unbound prefix filter.