What's new

Unbound Unbound DNS VPN Client w/policy rules

• Thread starter Deleted member 62525
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you still running Beta 4 as your signature shows?

How are you checking those sites? From what device(s)?

Are you still running Beta 4 as your signature shows?

How are you checking those sites? From what device(s)?
I'm running latest 386.1, need to update my signature. I'm checking thru mobile and laptop/tablet mainly wireless devices.

Those mobile/handheld and laptop devices may be the issue? Does using a different browser change the outcome?

Those mobile/handheld and laptop devices may be the issue? Does using a different browser change the outcome?
I tried a wired laptop as well. No luck. It happens with IE, Chrome and edge.

I've noticed the last couple of days that a router reboot doesn't load the VPN IP anymore when checking it under whatsmyip.com. It actually shows my real WAN IP.

What's curious is that dnsleak & ipleak tests shows my VPN IP (both IP & DNS match) correctly.

I tried to delete cache/cookies without luck in chrome. I wonder why whatsmyip.com keeps reflecting my real IP and the 2 other sites show VPN IP.

Any ideas, anyone may assist? Thanks!

Hi, I am not sure if I understand this correctly. I think the first code below for whatsmyip.com will always route the traffic to WAN port and hence it will show your real WAN IP. For the second code, whatismyip.com will always show your VPN IP?
x3mRouting 1 0 VPN_IP dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com
x3mRouting ALL 1 WAN_IP dnsmasq=whatismyip.com

I've noticed the last couple of days that a router reboot doesn't load the VPN IP anymore when checking it under whatsmyip.com. It actually shows my real WAN IP.

What's curious is that dnsleak & ipleak tests shows my VPN IP (both IP & DNS match) correctly.

I tried to delete cache/cookies without luck in chrome. I wonder why whatsmyip.com keeps reflecting my real IP and the 2 other sites show VPN IP.

Any ideas, anyone may assist? Thanks!
If I remember correctly I had you set up whatsmyip.com as the bypass check (i.e. check to make sure x3mRouting is bypassing the vpn for packets marked with 0x8000 so those packets should be getting connected directly through WAN) and dnsleak test is to make sure x3mRouting is forcing packets marked with 0x1000 through vpn client 1

Hi, I am not sure if I understand this correctly. I think the first code below for whatsmyip.com will always route the traffic to WAN port and hence it will show your real WAN IP. For the second code, whatismyip.com will always show your VPN IP?
x3mRouting 1 0 VPN_IP dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com
x3mRouting ALL 1 WAN_IP dnsmasq=whatismyip.com
“x3mRouting 1 0 WAN_IP dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com” —> force whatsmyip.com to connect through your wan
“x3mRouting ALL 1 VPN_IP dnsmasq=whatismyip.com”—> force whatismyip.com to connect through your vpn cli

You can see all the rules you have created in /jffs/scripts/nat-start

NOTE: “VPN_IP” and “WAN_IP” are just names. You can put any valid string in that position and that will be the name of the IP Set

i.e.
Code:
x3mRouting 1 0 WIP  dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com <--> x3mRouting 1 0 WAN_IP  dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com

these two commands do the exact same time the first names the set “WIP” and the second names the set “WAN_IP” but functionally they are the same.

Last edited:
“x3mRouting 1 0 VPN_IP dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com” —> force whatsmyip.com to connect through your vpn
“x3mRouting ALL 1 WAN_IP dnsmasq=whatismyip.com”—> force whatismyip.com to connect through your wan

You can see all the rules you have created in /jffs/scripts/nat-start
“x3mRouting 1 0 VPN_IP dnsmasq=whatsmyip.com” —> force whatsmyip.com to connect through your vpn

I thought it means source interface 1(OVPNC1) to destination interface 0 (WAN)?
Src and Dst combination 1 0 matches no 2) VPN bypass routing. Meaning it bypass VPN client 1 and routes to WAN. Does this mean I should see my WAN IP when i visit whatsmyip.com?

x3mRouting {src iface} (ALL|1|2|3|4|5) {dst iface} (0|1|2|3|4|5) **START: src/dst usage notes** Valid SRC and DST Combinations 1) VPN Client Routing - Use this SRC and DST combination to route all IPSET list traffic to a VPN Client: ALL 1, ALL 2, ALL 3, ALL 4, ALL 5 2) VPN Bypass Routing - Use this SRC and DST combination to bypass the VPN Client for an IPSET list and route to the WAN interface: 1 0, 2 0, 3 0, 4 0, 5 0 **END: src/dst usage notes** ...snipped...

######################################################## # Assign the interface for each LAN client by entering # # the appropriate interface number in the first column # # 0 = WAN # # 1 = OVPNC1 # # 2 = OVPNC2 # # 3 = OVPNC3 # # 4 = OVPNC4 # # 5 = OVPNC5 # #########################################################

Last edited:
I think I figured out why I was leaking. In the past, when I had comcast cable, I used to use xfinity @ home app to allow streaming on my devices, however it would detect a VPN was being used and I had a rule (asnum=AS7016,AS7922 running thru the x3mRouting script) for comcast related stuff to go thru WAN. I have removed the rule and everything is working as intended, so far & after a few reboots!!!

Browserleaks was pointing my network to "AS7922" Comcast Cable Communications.

I'm not sure it's related but this seems to be working now.

I think I figured out why I was leaking. In the past, when I had comcast cable, I used to use xfinity @ home app to allow streaming on my devices, however it would detect a VPN was being used and I had a rule (asnum=AS7016,AS7922 running thru the x3mRouting script) for comcast related stuff to go thru WAN. I have removed the rule and everything is working as intended, so far & after a few reboots!!!

Browserleaks was pointing my network to "AS7922" Comcast Cable Communications.

I'm not sure it's related but this seems to be working now.
Did switching the rules from -A (append) to -I (insert) fix the issue that comes up when you change your wan dns?

I’m still really not happy with that solution as it doesn’t remove the outdated rules but I can’t get this stupid comment thing to work and I’m wary of removing rules based on their rule number because of the potential to remove the wrong rules. I have not seen anyone else using the mangle table in the output chain but I would like to get an exact rule match so I know those are the only rules that can possibly be removed.

I thought it means source interface 1(OVPNC1) to destination interface 0 (WAN)?
Src and Dst combination 1 0 matches no 2) VPN bypass routing. Meaning it bypass VPN client 1 and routes to WAN. Does this mean I should see my WAN IP when i visit whatsmyip.com?

x3mRouting {src iface} (ALL|1|2|3|4|5) {dst iface} (0|1|2|3|4|5) **START: src/dst usage notes** Valid SRC and DST Combinations 1) VPN Client Routing - Use this SRC and DST combination to route all IPSET list traffic to a VPN Client: ALL 1, ALL 2, ALL 3, ALL 4, ALL 5 2) VPN Bypass Routing - Use this SRC and DST combination to bypass the VPN Client for an IPSET list and route to the WAN interface: 1 0, 2 0, 3 0, 4 0, 5 0 **END: src/dst usage notes** ...snipped...

######################################################## # Assign the interface for each LAN client by entering # # the appropriate interface number in the first column # # 0 = WAN # # 1 = OVPNC1 # # 2 = OVPNC2 # # 3 = OVPNC3 # # 4 = OVPNC4 # # 5 = OVPNC5 # #########################################################
You are correct I got those backwards. “0 1” looks for traffic pointed at the vpn and redirects it to the Wan interface. ALL 1 looks for traffic at all interfaces and redirects it to the vpn client 1 interface.

I’ll edit that post to reflect the correction. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

I can’t get this stupid comment thing to work and I’m wary of removing rules based on their rule number because of the potential to remove the wrong rules. I have not seen anyone else using the mangle table in the output chain but I would like to get an exact rule match so I know those are the only rules that can possibly be removed.

Brief tutorial..copy and paste for testing on command line

Tag multiple devices (e.g. two) that are to be 'categorised' as "KIDS" with a single rule request
Code:
modprobe xt_comment

iptables -A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.2,172.16.55.43 -d 123.45.6.7 -j DROP -m comment --comment "KIDS"
then perhaps sometime later auto block another device/destination combo (say when DHCP allocation of LAN IP address is detected)
Code:
iptables -A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.99 -d 123.45.6.99 -j DROP -m comment --comment "KIDS"

Perform the mass delete of the "KIDS" 'category' (without knowing the actual detail/number of rules etc.)
Code:
iptables-save | grep "KIDS" | sed 's/^-A/iptables -D/' | while read CMD;do $CMD;done

TL;DR

If you want to see the "KIDS" 'category' rules BEFORE the mass delete, this should help in understanding how it works

Generic list of rules
Code:
iptables --line -t filter -nvL FORWARD

<snip>
10       0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       172.16.55.2          123.45.6.7           /* KIDS */
11       0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       172.16.55.43         123.45.6.7           /* KIDS */
12       0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       172.16.55.99         123.45.6.99          /* KIDS */

Now explicitly list ALL rules by 'category' (without knowing the actual number of rules etc.)
Code:
iptables-save | grep "KIDS"

-A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.2/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
-A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.43/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
-A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.99/32 -d 123.45.6.99/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP

Prepare for mass delete by 'category' (without knowing the actual number of rules etc.)
Code:
iptables-save | grep "KIDS" | sed 's/^-A/iptables -D/'

iptables -D FORWARD -s 172.16.55.2/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
iptables -D FORWARD -s 172.16.55.43/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
iptables -D FORWARD -s 172.16.55.99/32 -d 123.45.6.99/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP

It still does the same. I kept the rules with the change ( -I versus - A) and I have not seen anything hiccups running it this way. Should I switch back to -A (append)? Did you see @Martineau post earlier...not sure if this would help?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-dns-vpn-client-w-policy-rules.67370/post-658109
Yeah I did see that yesterday. I haven’t really looked at what was posted but I made a note to look at that first when I get a second to pull this back up. This week has just been crazy and I haven’t had any extra time between school and work.

as far as switching between -A and -I I would just leave it if things are working right now. The only difference is where the rules go when they are created. Since the mangle table in the output isn’t being used for anything else (at least in my case) you don’t need to worry about making sure the rules get checked in a particular order.

I feel like that was really poorly worded but if you look up a brief overview of how iptables works I think it will be clear. Basically order matters in iptables but my rules are already in order and aren’t other rules to worry about right now.

Brief tutorial..copy and paste for testing on command line

Tag multiple devices (e.g. two) that are to be 'categorised' as "KIDS" with a single rule request
Code:
modprobe xt_comment

iptables -A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.2,172.16.55.43 -d 123.45.6.7 -j DROP -m comment --comment "KIDS"
then perhaps sometime later auto block another device/destination combo (say when DHCP allocation of LAN IP address is detected)
Code:
iptables -A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.99 -d 123.45.6.99 -j DROP -m comment --comment "KIDS"

Perform the mass delete of the "KIDS" 'category' (without knowing the actual detail/number of rules etc.)
Code:
iptables-save | grep "KIDS" | sed 's/^-A/iptables -D/' | while read CMD;do $CMD;done

TL;DR

If you want to see the "KIDS" 'category' rules BEFORE the mass delete, this should help in understanding how it works

Generic list of rules
Code:
iptables --line -t filter -nvL FORWARD

<snip>
10       0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       172.16.55.2          123.45.6.7           /* KIDS */
11       0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       172.16.55.43         123.45.6.7           /* KIDS */
12       0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       172.16.55.99         123.45.6.99          /* KIDS */

Now explicitly list ALL rules by 'category' (without knowing the actual number of rules etc.)
Code:
iptables-save | grep "KIDS"

-A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.2/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
-A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.43/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
-A FORWARD -s 172.16.55.99/32 -d 123.45.6.99/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP

Prepare for mass delete by 'category' (without knowing the actual number of rules etc.)
Code:
iptables-save | grep "KIDS" | sed 's/^-A/iptables -D/'

iptables -D FORWARD -s 172.16.55.2/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
iptables -D FORWARD -s 172.16.55.43/32 -d 123.45.6.7/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
iptables -D FORWARD -s 172.16.55.99/32 -d 123.45.6.99/32 -m comment --comment KIDS -j DROP
Fantastic! This is exactly what I’m trying to do. As I stated in a previous post I haven’t really had time to dig into this. I briefly tried to add “-m comment --comment “xxx”” to the rule creation but it got rejected with “no matching rule” or something like that so I’m not sure if I just made a syntax error or if there is some conflict but either way I need to dig in a bit more

Fantastic! This is exactly what I’m trying to do. As I stated in a previous post I haven’t really had time to dig into this. I briefly tried to add “-m comment --comment “xxx”” to the rule creation but it got rejected with “no matching rule” or something like that so I’m not sure if I just made a syntax error or if there is some conflict but either way I need to dig in a bit more
Perhaps you needed the modprobe xt_comment ?

Perhaps you needed the modprobe xt_comment ?
I have not done that so that seems likely lol. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. I’m trying to wrap my head around everything but Linux/bash is such a beast. Just too many ways to same tasks. I feel like such a script kiddie right now but I’m glad to have a community that can push me in the right direction.

Modprobe directive did allow me to add comments so the rules are now created with the comment “unbound_rule”. The delete command isn’t matching right now but all the rules with the specified comment are now produced so this will definitely work once I figure out what’s wrong with the output rule format. Hopefully I’ll have an update this evening. I’m planning on modifying the rule add/remove functions and adding a function to do the set up stuff like automatically creating the x3mRouting commands/modprobe

I made some time today to work on this. A real quick question do modprobe directives persist after reboots? Should I put this in a setup function that only runs on initial setup?
Yes I use init-start rather than include/execute modprobe xt_comment in the individual scripts.