What's new

Unbound Unbound failed to read /opt/var/lib/unbound/root.key

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dt525

New Around Here
Hello, New to the forum. Sorry if the question has been address before. I could not find answers searching the forum. I initially posted this question incorrectly, posted privately to the author. When looking around in my router today, I noticed that unbound is suddenly displaying a string of 5 errors. (1-failed to read /opt/var/lib/unbound/root.key, 2-error reading auto-trust-anchor-file: /opt/var/lib/unbound/root.key, 3-validator: error in trustanchors config, 4-validator: could not apply configuration settings, 5-fatal error: bad config for validator module). Displayed in red to attract my attention. I tried uninstalling unbound and rebooting several times. Seems as if unbound did not completely uninstall. I also attempted to debug using the command 'unbound -dv' as suggested by the program. No response to debug. Has this error occurred before. How do I resolve it. My router is RT-AC88U, merlin firmware 386.3.2. I have unbound and diversion installed. By the way, I encounter very little ads on my network. These addons work great. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-8023.jpg
    IMG-8023.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 123
It could be corruption on your storage device. Two options:

1. From amtm install The Disk check script (dc). Reboot and check the log at
Code:
/jffs/addons/amtm/amtm-disk-check.log
2. Try another storage device but make sure to fully re-install Diversion and Unbound.

It could be corruption on your storage device. Two options:

1. From amtm install The Disk check script (dc). Reboot and check the log at
Code:
/jffs/addons/amtm/amtm-disk-check.log
2. Try another storage device but make sure to fully re-install Diversion and Unbound.
Thanks for the reply, that's a great suggestion. I will report back after I swap the memory stick and re-install everything. Is there another way to migrate the contents to a new drive. I tried to install nsrum - NVRAM Save/Restore Utility. That was not successful either.

Migrating content from a potentially corrupted drive? Why?
Just try a clean install... If you customized the Diversion lists you can backup and then copy and paste the content.

Migrating content from a potentially corrupted drive? Why?
Just try a clean install... If you customized the Diversion lists you can backup and then copy and paste the content.
As I have stated, i'm new around here. I installed the new flash drive and reinstalled all the addons. Everything went ok except Unbound. I still have errors getting that to install. The files are not in the location
that Unbound is searching for them at. Apparently I made some misstep during the installation of either Entware or Unbound. I need help to correct that.

I attempted to copy the files manually to the location that Unbound is searching for them and I was told that I was copying the file to the same location.

The actual location of the files are '/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/var/lib/'.
Unbound is looking for it's files at '/opt/var/lib/unbound/'.

See the attachments for more info, thanks.

Attachments

• actual location.jpg
    actual location.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 102
  • copy command result.jpg
    copy command result.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 99
  • expected location.jpg
    expected location.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 105
As I have stated, i'm new around here. I installed the new flash drive and reinstalled all the addons. Everything went ok except Unbound. I still have errors getting that to install. The files are not in the location
that Unbound is searching for them at. Apparently I made some misstep during the installation of either Entware or Unbound. I need help to correct that.

I attempted to copy the files manually to the location that Unbound is searching for them and I was told that I was copying the file to the same location.

I suppose your memory stick name is sda1? If you go to cd /tmp, then ll, you should see the symlink
Code:
 opt -> /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/
It goes to the same directory.
Have you try “unbound_manager advanced”, then choose option i to update and see if it helps?
Code:
i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')

Last edited:

It appears you have AdBlock configured in the unbound.conf file

i.e. 'include: /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/adservers'

but the file to be included doesn't exist?

I would try disabling AdBlock via the unbound_manager menu, or manually temporarily create it using
Code:
touch /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/adservers
or correctly create it if the script exists
Code:
sh /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/gen_adblock.sh

Solved. Thanks for the community support. I used the 'unbound_manager advanced' command. I was then able to force uninstall unbound. I then reinstalled the addon successfully, I believe. I have 2 additional questions.

1) How do you examine the stats to measure success. see attachment

2) Does unbound and diversion-
a) duplicate each others services
b) is it redundant to run them both
c) do they create any conflicts between them

Thanks again.

Attachments

• statistics report.jpg
    statistics report.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 120