What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server) - General questions / discussion thread 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This morning everything is ok. However, every now and then there is the issue that on reboot from software it sometimes doesn't load all cronjobs. It is sporadic but there is. If you could create a kind of reboot where the system cuts the power, then it would all be solved

Is there a command, a cronjob with which to turn off the power to the router ??? If it exists it could do hard reboot

When restarting the router reloads the JFFS partition, it will have a set time. Is it possible to give it more time to load this partition?

Last edited:
Is there a command, a cronjob with which to turn off the power to the router ??? If it exists it could do hard reboot

When restarting the router reloads the JFFS partition, it will have a set time. Is it possible to give it more time to load this partition?
Unfortunately I don’t think there is a command to do a hard power cycle kind of reboot. What I can think of is add sleep timer in the script and adjust the value until you get everything working correctly.
I too have issue that sometimes certain cronjob failed to load properly. I did it in a dumb way, make a copy of all running cronjob in /jffs/configs/cronjob.add and load it in post-mount script. The downside is if there is any addons update that changes the cronjob then I have stop this to get the updated cronjob and update my copy. It is really not a good to solve the issue. I may get rid of this soon.

Code:
# Add cronjobs to cron
/bin/sleep 5s    # give the disk 5 sec to really be ready
crontab -u admin /jffs/configs/cronjobs.add
logger "Manual cronjob added"

Unfortunately I don’t think there is a command to do a hard power cycle kind of reboot. What I can think of is add sleep timer in the script and adjust the value until you get everything working correctly.
I too have issue that sometimes certain cronjob failed to load properly. I did it in a dumb way, make a copy of all running cronjob in /jffs/configs/cronjob.add and load it in post-mount script. The downside is if there is any addons update that changes the cronjob then I have stop this to get the updated cronjob and update my copy. It is really not a good to solve the issue. I may get rid of this soon.

Code:
# Add cronjobs to cron
/bin/sleep 5s    # give the disk 5 sec to really be ready
crontab -u admin /jffs/configs/cronjobs.add
logger "Manual cronjob added"
Thanks for the answer, so I'm not the only one who sometimes doesn't get all cronjobs loaded. There will be a way to solve the problem. However the problem remains only on reboot from software or web ....... with the strong reboot by cutting the power, the problem is not

I’m embarrassed to ask this, but how do you install advanced mode? I’m installing through amtm but when I go through the install prompts there’s no option for advanced and it looks like I only have the easy mode options.

First post, first link. :)

I don't get the advanced option. It looks like advanced would be i instead of 1.
1626792260286.png

Thanks for the answer, so I'm not the only one who sometimes doesn't get all cronjobs loaded. There will be a way to solve the problem. However the problem remains only on reboot from software or web ....... with the strong reboot by cutting the power, the problem is not
I got it work after adding 1s delay before unbound and another 2s delay before wireguard. Rebooted a couple of times and all cronjobs are loaded properly. Hope you get yours working as well.

I got it work after adding 1s delay before unbound and another 2s delay before wireguard. Rebooted a couple of times and all cronjobs are loaded properly. Hope you get yours working as well.
I didn't understand how you solved it. Can you explain me in detail?

I didn't understand how you solved it. Can you explain me in detail?
We will likely have different addons installed. This is part of my output from /jffs/scripts/post-mount. I added delay before unbound and wireguard are loaded. You may try something similar and adjust the sleep in seconds to find out what number works on your environment. I remember some time ago I used to put sleep 3s before unbound startup.

Code:
. /jffs/addons/diversion/mount-entware.div # Added by Diversion
/jffs/scripts/uiDivStats startup "$@" & # uiDivStats
/jffs/scripts/uiScribe startup "$@" & # uiScribe
/jffs/scripts/connmon startup "$@" & # connmon
/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin startup "$@" & # ntpMerlin
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin startup "$@" & # spdMerlin
/jffs/addons/tempmon/tempmon.sh logging "$@" & # tempmon
/bin/sleep 1s
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup "$@" & # Unbound_Stats.sh
/bin/sleep 2s
/jffs/addons/wireguard/wg_manager.sh init "" & # WireGuard Manager

We will likely have different addons installed. This is part of my output from /jffs/scripts/post-mount. I added delay before unbound and wireguard are loaded. You may try something similar and adjust the sleep in seconds to find out what number works on your environment. I remember some time ago I used to put sleep 3s before unbound startup.

Code:
. /jffs/addons/diversion/mount-entware.div # Added by Diversion
/jffs/scripts/uiDivStats startup "$@" & # uiDivStats
/jffs/scripts/uiScribe startup "$@" & # uiScribe
/jffs/scripts/connmon startup "$@" & # connmon
/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin startup "$@" & # ntpMerlin
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin startup "$@" & # spdMerlin
/jffs/addons/tempmon/tempmon.sh logging "$@" & # tempmon
/bin/sleep 1s
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup "$@" & # Unbound_Stats.sh
/bin/sleep 2s
/jffs/addons/wireguard/wg_manager.sh init "" & # WireGuard Manager
I worked on both the post-mount file and the init-start file. It seems to me that everything is working fine.

This setting is permanent or when I update the addons, I have to check ??? I do not add other addons, I have them on board practically all, I update them only with AMTM

I worked on both the post-mount file and the init-start file. It seems to me that everything is working fine.

This setting is permanent or when I update the addons, I have to check ??? I do not add other addons, I have them on board practically all, I update them only with AMTM
Now all cronjob loaded properly after soft reboot?

Do you mean the sleep setting? It will stays unless we removed it. If you want to be sure, perhaps a restart after every update is the way to go?

Now all cronjob loaded properly after soft reboot?

Do you mean the sleep setting? It will stays unless we removed it. If you want to be sure, perhaps a restart after every update is the way to go?
Yes, now all cronjobs remain after each reboot are loaded correctly

Is there any way to show the VPN IP instead of the ISP IP once the VPN has been binded to unbound and redirect internet traffic is set to policy rules?

It currently only shows the VPN IP when redirect internet traffic is set to yes after doing a DNS leak test.

Update:
I've sorted this now by using the following script, see post #198:

Last edited:
There appears to be an issue with Unbound letting ads through Diversion for devices that are set to use WAN in VPN director. All devices set to use the VPN are still blocking all ads (Accept DNS Configuration set to disabled).

Uninstall Unbound and all ads are blocked again for devices set to WAN.

Use https://canyoublockit.com/extreme-test/ to test this.

Last edited: