What's new

Unbound - Authoritative Recursive Caching DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have this "old" MacBook Pro 2010 here - can this be the reason?!?
Windows is not executing the dig command to show query time.
Is weird. Something wrong. For me, there is always a logic. Don't be formatting. Take your time to analyze possible problems.

Is weird. Something wrong. For me, there is always a logic. Don't be formatting. Take your time to analyze possible problems.
Hey rgnldo!
Investigating the issue at the Mac himself was the right advice...

Dig the first time...
Code:
; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> smallnetbuilder.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8676
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1472
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;smallnetbuilder.com.        IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
smallnetbuilder.com.    1200    IN    A    104.26.9.114
smallnetbuilder.com.    1200    IN    A    104.26.8.114

;; Query time: 75 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Apr 14 15:34:51 CEST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

Dig the second time...
Code:
; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> smallnetbuilder.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7475
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1472
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;smallnetbuilder.com.        IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
smallnetbuilder.com.    1196    IN    A    104.26.9.114
smallnetbuilder.com.    1196    IN    A    104.26.8.114

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Apr 14 15:34:55 CEST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

Looks much better now! This was achieved by deactivating the Mac OS internal firewall. The firewall on the Mac was not adjusted before in any special way, just switched to "on". Big influence...
Thank you for being so patient and sorry for posting this issue in the unbound forum... (the issue seems to be linked to my Mac....) But I am really very happy to know where the high query time was coming from.

Last edited:
Thank you for being so patient and sorry for posting this issue in the unbound forum
Your post was correct. Whenever possible and available, we will help.

Whenever possible and available, we will help.
Thanks a lot! - I am very happy having found this forum here and people helping that much - and in very short time! This stuff is new for me - but I got interested in all theses possibilities to improve security and speed - I was not aware of these things some weeks before... Thanks!

I'm getting a weird error message when trying to install Unbound.

Bad address
[1587834413] unbound-checkconf[4520:0] fatal error: control-key-file: "(null)" does not exist

I've checked the configuration file and the line
control-key-file: "/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_control.key"
is there and that file does exist. I have no idea what's going on.

EDIT: I've noticed that the numbers in both the "Bad address" section and the "unbound-checkconf" sections seem to change every time I try this again. For example, I just got the following error
Bad address
[1587835034] unbound-checkconf[7853:0] fatal error: control-key-file: "(null)" does not exist

I'm getting a weird error message when trying to install Unbound.

I've checked the configuration file and the line is there and that file does exist. I have no idea what's going on.

EDIT: I've noticed that the numbers in both the "Bad address" section and the "unbound-checkconf" sections seem to change every time I try this again. For example, I just got the following error
Remove the carriage return from the config file between : and the “

The first number is the time in epoch format. The second is likely the process number.

Remove the carriage return from the config file between : and the “

The first number is the time in epoch format. The second is likely the process number.
I've removed the whitespace between the : and the " but, I'm still seeing the same error.

EDIT: Here's the full error.

Bad address
[1587842639] unbound-checkconf[24663:0] fatal error: control-key-file: "(null)" does not exist

***ERROR requested re(Start) of unbound ABORTed! - use option 'vx' to correct 'unbound.conf' or 'rl' to load a valid configuration file

when using unbound, in the config file, I ve put many dns servers, quad9, cleanbrowsing and adguard, the system choose the fastest or it is in the order I entered it?

thanks

hi forgive me not reading through the 70 pages, but I would like to try Unbound for the caching and prefetching but use my ISP dns servers instead of bypassing them

What are the steps to do this?

Thanks

hi forgive me not reading through the 70 pages, but I would like to try Unbound for the caching and prefetching but use my ISP dns servers instead of bypassing them

What are the steps to do this?

Thanks
I may be wrong but I believe the purpose of Unbound is to NOT use someone else's DNS servers. Unbound allows you to become your own DNS server. If that is correct then this is not what you are looking for.

I may be wrong but I believe the purpose of Unbound is to NOT use someone else's DNS servers. Unbound allows you to become your own DNS server. If that is correct then this is not what you are looking for.

And this is exactly how Unbound should work as Resolver. https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ should show own IP address as DNS. We run Netgate SG-3100 in the office and no external DNS resolvers are used in Unbound configuration. I don't know how this works on routers, but the quotes below sound like Forwarder to me.

when using unbound, in the config file, I ve put many dns servers, quad9, cleanbrowsing and adguard, the system choose the fastest or it is in the order I entered it?
Take the test here and you will see the sequence. https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

I don't know how this works on routers, but the quotes below sound like Forwarder to me.
specific servers for default forward zones that are outside of the local machine and outside of the local network add a forward zone with the name.
Code:
forward-zone:
  name: "."
  forward-addr: x.x.x.x
  forward-addr: x.x.x.x
It is a resource widely used in unbound.

The unbound advantage is the options, glue, harden, performance, scalability. These features improve security in a DNS resolver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!