What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I really like unbound, but I'm having and issue with CBSN on my Apple TV. I'm unable to stream from that app. Some of the other apps work fine and I'm able to stream with them. When I uninstall unbound and reconfigure Stubby on Merlin everything works fine.

I really like unbound, but I'm having and issue with CBSN on my Apple TV. I'm unable to stream from that app. Some of the other apps work fine and I'm able to stream with them. When I uninstall unbound and reconfigure Stubby on Merlin everything works fine.
I had similar issues with Hulu. I solved it by weakening firewall rules in Skynet and removed country blocks. Check the log for serve fail errors when accessing CBSN. Use this info to find the IP that's being blocked.

I had similar issues with Hulu. I solved it by weakening firewall rules in Skynet and removed country blocks. Check the log for serve fail errors when accessing CBSN. Use this info to find the IP that's being blocked.
I'll check it out thank you for the reply.

A little earlier in the day than usual, but I'd be dead if I mess with the laptop later St. Val ;););)

I've uploaded v2.11

Use of the 'i = Update unbound Installation' **REQUIRED**

CHANGE: Advise users they shouldn't attempt to update '/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf' but redirect them to '/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.postconf' @dave14305

NEW: When restarting unbound using 'rs', the accumulated cache will be automatically saved/restored over the restart. @kernol @JSewell

NOTE: If you do not wish to restore the cache then use the 'nocache' directive​

e.g.
Code:
rs = Restart (or Start) unbound (use 'rs nocache' to flush cache) s  = Show unbound statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; s+=Enable Extended Stats)

e  = Exit Script

A:Option ==> rs nocache
NEW: 'lookup' command allows you to interrogate/display which servers are used for a domain

e.g. asciiart.eu
Code:
e  = Exit Script

A:Option ==> lookup asciiart.eu

The following name servers are used for lookup of asciiart.eu.
;rrset 20086 4 0 2 0
asciiart.eu. 20086 IN NS ns1.misspark.com.
asciiart.eu. 20086 IN NS ns2.misspark.com.
asciiart.eu. 20086 IN NS ns3.misspark.com.
asciiart.eu. 20086 IN NS ns4.misspark.com.
Delegation with 4 names, of which 4 can be examined to query further addresses.
It provides 0 IP addresses.

I didn't see any errors in my log, so I uninstalled Skynet and rebooted and I'm still having the same problem.

The unbound.conf.add is working great. Thank you.
I noticed that the added parameters do not appear in the unbound config but they are working. [emoji106]
Yeah, I did think that a simple tweak to the 'sed' to import all of your 'unbound.conf.add' entries in-line might be more appropriate, simply so that the 'v' command shows everything at a glance.

Actually with the revelation that the first directive encountered - if there are duplicates (not detected as an error by unbound-checkconf) is applied may mean that your custom entries are actually ignored? :eek:

Last edited:

Are you running Diversion? If so, you have to whitelist sb.scorecardresearch.com to get the CBSN video to run on Apple TV.

Just an observation of mine, is there a reason why we have 2 times : prefetch: yes and
prefetch-key: yes , one being under # tiny memory cache and the other under # prefetch ?
Is there a way we can merge all these settings together?
All good here, merged them all together no more double prefetch paramaters and it's working flawlessly.
I would try and say they are there for testing the 'unbound-checkconf' utility reinstated with unbound v1.9.6 but I'd be lying!;)

So I suspect only the first directive encountered is used, and the duplicates are discarded/ignored which causes a dilemma for me having just introduced the 'unbound.config.add' feature.....rendering it potentially useless. :rolleyes:

P.S. Although they aren't causing any issues, I simply forgot to include removing them in today's release, but I'll hopefully remove the spurious duplicates in the next release, or as you have done, adopters may remove the duplicates themselves if they feel competent enough.

Last edited:
Are you running Diversion? If so, you have to whitelist sb.scorecardresearch.com to get the CBSN video to run on Apple TV.
I'm not sure, but I think Diversion would also throw a serve fail error if there is anything that blocks it.

I did what you said and no dice. It still isn't working. It works if I uninstall it and use stubby with cloudflare. Thank you for the reply though.:)

I'm not sure, but I think Diversion would also throw a serve fail error if there is anything that blocks it.

Speaking from my own experience, there are several domains blocked when opening the app. I narrowed it down to this domain needing whitelisted for the video to load. Be aware though that that domain is used on many, if not all, apps, so I remove it from the whitelist after I'm done with the app.

I did what you said and no dice. It still isn't working. It works if I uninstall it and use stubby with cloudflare. Thank you for the reply though.:)

Did you close all the open apps and restart the Apple TV? I had to do that to get it to work.

Do you get any error message on Apple TV/CBSN app? It might be some cross check the app is doing to confirm the location.

Do you get any error message on Apple TV/CBSN app? It might be some cross check the app is doing to confirm the location.
No error message. When I open the app, all I get is a circle where it's trying to stream.

These tweaked settings have been working really well on my RT-AC86U - no crashes and impressive speeds. :D
RAM consumption runs up to 95% and stays there with small use of Swap file.
Just wish we didn't lose these conf settings and trash the cache to start all over again every time it is necessary to run "u" followed by "i" .

Code:
# no threads and no memory slabs for threads
num-threads: 2
msg-cache-slabs: 4
rrset-cache-slabs: 4
infra-cache-slabs: 4
key-cache-slabs: 4

# tiny memory cache
key-cache-size: 16m
msg-cache-size: 16m
rrset-cache-size: 32m
cache-max-ttl: 21600
cache-min-ttl: 0
prefetch: yes
prefetch-key: yes
serve-expired: yes
serve-expired-ttl: 3600
incoming-num-tcp: 1024
outgoing-num-tcp: 128
ip-ratelimit: 0                                
edns-buffer-size: 4096
@kernol, how's testing coming along? Any issues. I dont think my RTAC86U can't handle these but I'm willing to try them!