What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Heh, no worries. Easy enough to reinstall unbound manager, just thought I'd point this out.
FYI, The point of the FOUR diagnostic commands used outside of the script would assist in identifying the root cause which in all likelihood won't be fixed by reinstalling unbound/unbound_manager as I believe it is a possible bug with the use of the unbound utilities.

Hopefully someone else will kindly volunteer to assist.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Noted. Apologies I can’t assist fully with the diagnosis.

Am wondering if I’m the only one with this issue.

In any event, I’ll try reinstalling regardless as that sorted out the issue the last time I faced this and see how that goes.

Thanks again! :)

Code:
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# touch /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control get_option verbosity;grep -E "^[#]*verbosity" /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf
verbosity: 1                               # v1.02 '1' is adequate to prove unbound is processing domains
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control set_option verbosity 0
ok
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control get_option verbosity;grep -E "^[#]*verbosity" /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf
verbosity: 1                               # v1.02 '1' is adequate to prove unbound is processing domains
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control status
version: 1.10.0
verbosity: 1
threads: 1
modules: 3 [ respip validator iterator ]
uptime: 286182 seconds
options: control
unbound (pid 2751) is running...

After restart

Code:
tOmsk@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control get_option verbosity;grep -E "^[#]*verbosity" /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

doesn't
Code:
touch /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui

just create the file?... i had a look in there and its empty ... or is the fix just detecting the presence of the file?

Code:
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# touch /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control set_option verbosity 0
ok
tOmsK@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control status
uptime: 286182 seconds
unbound (pid 2751) is running...

After restart

Code:
tOmsk@RT-AC68U-4690:/tmp/home/root# unbound-control get_option verbosity;grep -E "^[#]*verbosity" /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf
Thank you for the feedback.

So in your case everything works as expected

i.e. because you have the following directive in 'unbound.conf'
Code:
then unbound appears to have honoured the directive and unbound logging is ENABLED as expected when unbound is initialised.

However, notice when you manually turned logging OFF
Code:
unbound-control set_option verbosity 0
the variable query showed it as being OFF ( value '0') yet the following status query
Code:
unbound-control status

<snip>
shows that unbound logging is apparently still ENABLED. :confused:

I will need to RTFM :rolleyes:

Last edited:
doesn't
Code:
touch /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui

just create the file?... i had a look in there and its empty ... or is the fix just detecting the presence of the file?
Yes 'unbound_manager' v3.07 has the bug. :oops:

Thanks to @joe scian reporting the issue a few hours ago, rather than issue a specific v3.07 Hotfix, I thought I would try and quickly identify/fix this logging issue in the pending v3.08 release to save users having to upgrade twice.

(NOTE: You can upgrade to unbound_manager v3.08 beta from the dev GitHub, then simply delete '/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui' )

I will need to RTFM
Where's the sport in that? verbosity can be set directly with unbound-control instead of relying on set_option.
Code:
unbound-control verbosity 1
may be preferred over (or more predictable than)
Code:
unbound-control set_option verbosity: 1

Where's the sport in that? verbosity can be set directly with unbound-control instead of relying on set_option.
Code:
unbound-control verbosity 1
may be preferred over (or more predictable than)
Code:
unbound-control set_option verbosity: 1
RTFM indeed as needs must, but I'm pretty certain that if you set 'verbosity: 0' and restart unbound with '#verbosity: 1' in 'unbound.conf' then logging should NOT be ENABLED, but seemingly it is.:confused:

(NOTE: The script should/will only set 'verbosity: 1' on acknowledging the 'lo' command)

I've uploaded v3.08

Version=3.08
Github md5=2c8b73813f2123f2af633214f8aa6c80

use 'u' to update when prompted on screen

Use of the 'i = Update unbound Installation' **Not required**

Code:
FIX: Incorrect 'unbound.conf' editing/'sed' '-- 1' error for 'unbound.conf.addgui'
ADD: During the cache restore; include the timestamp of the cache file used in the message printed in Syslog
ADD 'bind/nobind' command line directives (same as vpn=x/vpn=disable)
CHANGE: Print message to Syslog when stopping unbound using 'x' command, and no longer immediately exit 'unbound_manager'

EDIT: Ongoing investigation to identify why unbound logging turns itself back ON after an unbound restart:

[✔] unbound Logging (Warning; DNS Queries/Replies logging is DISABLED)

even though 'unbound.conf' contains
Code:
#verbosity: 1                               # v1.02 '1' is adequate to prove unbound is processing domains

Last edited:
I've uploaded v3.08

Version=3.08
Github md5=2c8b73813f2123f2af633214f8aa6c80

use 'u' to update when prompted on screen

Use of the 'i = Update unbound Installation' **Not required**

Code:
FIX: Incorrect 'unbound.conf' editing/'sed' '-- 1' error for 'unbound.conf.addgui'
ADD: During the cache restore; include the timestamp of the cache file used in the message printed in Syslog
ADD 'bind/nobind' command line directives (same as vpn=x/vpn=disable)
CHANGE: Print message to Syslog when stopping unbound using 'x' command, and no longer immediately exit 'unbound_manager'

EDIT: Ongoing investigation to identify why unbound logging turns itself back ON after an unbound restart:

[✔] unbound Logging (Warning; DNS Queries/Replies logging is DISABLED)

even though 'unbound.conf' contains
Code:
#verbosity: 1                               # v1.02 '1' is adequate to prove unbound is processing domains
Everything appears to be in working order....:oops:

Its not just re-enabling the logging because of the Auto Reply is it?
Code:
    Options: Auto Reply='y' for User Selectable Options ('1 4 5') unbound Logging,Performance Tweaks,Firefox DoH

Its not just re-enabling the logging because of the Auto Reply is it?
Code:
    Options: Auto Reply='y' for User Selectable Options ('1 4 5') unbound Logging,Performance Tweaks,Firefox DoH
Good theory, but 'unbound_manager' will (hopefully) only use the auto-reply variables for '1/i Update' commands, not a simple 'rs'.

So more diagnostics.....
Code:
unbound-control verbosity 0
ok
So as per @dave14305's suggestion the above command method is now correctly reflected in the status
Code:
unbound-control status

verbosity: 0
uptime: 75 seconds
unbound (pid 31471) is running...
So eliminating the script entirely;
Perform a manual stop of unbound....
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S61unbound stop

Checking unbound...              alive.
 Shutting down unbound...              done.
Check the 'unbound.conf' directive is still set for logging DISABLED
Code:
grep -E "^[#]*verbosity" /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

Perform a manual start of unbound....
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S61unbound start

Starting unbound...              done.
and surprise surprise, unbound is now logging....
Code:
unbound-control status

uptime: 12 seconds
unbound (pid 1209) is running...
So 'unbound_mangler' isn't responsible :)

Last edited:
the plot thickens....... is the verbosity still set as 0 in the unbound config after the manual start?

the plot thickens....... is the verbosity still set as 0 in the unbound config after the manual start?
No.

However, after I RTFM, I conclude that unbound is working as designed given there is no 'unbound_manager' directive to explicitly DISABLE logging

i.e.
Code:
verbosity: 0                               # v1.02 '1' is adequate to prove unbound is processing domains
during the unbound initialisation.

I will push a Hotfix to always define the 'verbosity' directive with a value of '0' or '1' rather than uncomment/comment the directive.

Short of a @L&LD reset, how does one completely remove this script?
Err.... choose the appropriate option from the menu

Code:
1  = Update unbound files and configuration   
2  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager   
3  = Stop unbound   
4  = Show unbound statistics   
5  = Uninstall Ad and Tracker blocker (Ad Block)   
6  = Uninstall Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB   
7  = Disable DNS Firewall [?]   

?  = About Configuration   
v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/'unbound.conf)   

e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==>
or
Code:
i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')     l  = Show unbound LIVE log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                 v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
3  = Advanced Tools                                                 rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                            oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'
rs = Restart (or Start) unbound (use 'rs nocache' to flush cache)   s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; http://10.88.8.1:80/user5.asp)

e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==>

Can you see which one might be appropriate?