What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Currently; bin.entware.net is down that's why we can't update eEntware package list which causes installation/update fails
Bad timing :(

bin.entware.net has been down for several hours, apparently after a major hardware failure. Just speculating, but it may be that the most recent downloads could have been from a system about to fail and may themselves be corrupt. Once the repository is back up it may be sensible to re-download any recent updates.

bin.entware.net has been down for several hours, apparently after a major hardware failure. Just speculating, but it may be that the most recent downloads could have been from a system about to fail and may themselves be corrupt. Once the repository is back up it may be sensible to re-download any recent updates.
how does one force a entware pkgs re download?
thanks

how does one force a entware pkgs re download?
thanks
A VERY good question (and not one I know the correct answer to).

cat /opt/lib/opkg/status will show you your installed packages, but I do not know how to parse this to just list the package, its version and the installed time and convert it to Gregorian (the time format is Unix time)
Once you have this you can see which packages you may want to re-install

A normal install can be run with opkg install package or an upgrade with opkg upgrade package, but I do not know how those will run if the package version is the same even if the contents are different (due to corruption) . Looking in https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/doc/techref/opkg I can see that you can force a reinstall with opkg install --force-reinstall package

As noted above, I am very new to this, so it is probably best to wait for someone who does know what they are talking about.

It seems so ...
I still can't install Unbound ...
Is strange as I do have Entware installed ... but I suppose Unbound needs to download extra files to work properly?

Unbound the ONLY one of my add-ons properly broken by the Entware update and subsequent Entware major system crash.
No point trying to fix - nor uninstall/reinstall - will all fail until Entware access is back up.

Fortunately - have never adopted the adblock etc add-ons to unbound ... so my router automajically reverts to dnsmasq and my DoT defined DNS servers.

Be patient ...

There has to be an uninstall routine for unbound, even if bin.entware.net is not reachable.
We cannot rely on it staying online forever.

bin.entware.net is up again!

Edit:
There seems to be a problem when "1" installing unbound:

Code:
unbound (pid 1450) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 00:03:06 version: 1.10.1 # rgnldo Github Version=v1.10 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Sat Jun 20 10:42:05 DST 2020)

1  = Update unbound files and configuration                                             5  = Install Ad and Tracker blocker (Ad Block)
2  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                                     6  = Uninstall Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB
3  = Stop unbound                                                                       7  = Disable   DNS Firewall [?]
4  = Show unbound statistics                                                            8  = Install YouTube Ad blocker

?  = About Configuration
v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/'unbound.conf)

e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> 1
13:11:33 Saving unbound cache to '/opt/share/unbound/configs/cache.txt'

Router Configuration recommended pre-reqs status:

[✔] Swapfile=2097148 kB
        [✔] DNS Filter=ON
        [✔] DNS Filter=ROUTER
        [✔] WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=NO
        [✔] Enable local NTP server=YES
        [✔] Enable DNS Rebind protection=NO
        [✔] Enable DNSSEC support=NO

Options:

[✔] unbound CPU/Memory Performance tweaks
        [✔] Firefox DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) DISABLE/Blocker
        [✔] Router Graphical GUI statistics TAB installed
        [✔] unbound-control FAST response ENABLED

UPDATEing unbound
Entware package list successfully updated
Package unbound-checkconf (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Installing unbound-control-setup (1.10.1-1) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/armv7sf-k2.6/unbound-control-setup_1.10.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Package unbound-control (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Package unbound-anchor (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Package unbound-daemon (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/armv7sf-k2.6/unbound-control-setup_1.10.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk, wget returned 8.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download unbound-control-setup. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package unbound-control-setup.

***ERROR occurred installing unbound

bin.entware.net is up again!

Edit:
There seems to be a problem when "1" installing unbound:

Code:
unbound (pid 1450) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 00:03:06 version: 1.10.1 # rgnldo Github Version=v1.10 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Sat Jun 20 10:42:05 DST 2020)

1  = Update unbound files and configuration                                             5  = Install Ad and Tracker blocker (Ad Block)
2  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                                     6  = Uninstall Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB
3  = Stop unbound                                                                       7  = Disable   DNS Firewall [?]
4  = Show unbound statistics                                                            8  = Install YouTube Ad blocker

?  = About Configuration
v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/'unbound.conf)

e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> 1
13:11:33 Saving unbound cache to '/opt/share/unbound/configs/cache.txt'

Router Configuration recommended pre-reqs status:

[✔] Swapfile=2097148 kB
        [✔] DNS Filter=ON
        [✔] DNS Filter=ROUTER
        [✔] WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=NO
        [✔] Enable local NTP server=YES
        [✔] Enable DNS Rebind protection=NO
        [✔] Enable DNSSEC support=NO

Options:

[✔] unbound CPU/Memory Performance tweaks
        [✔] Firefox DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) DISABLE/Blocker
        [✔] Router Graphical GUI statistics TAB installed
        [✔] unbound-control FAST response ENABLED

UPDATEing unbound
Entware package list successfully updated
Package unbound-checkconf (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Installing unbound-control-setup (1.10.1-1) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/armv7sf-k2.6/unbound-control-setup_1.10.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
Package unbound-control (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Package unbound-anchor (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Package unbound-daemon (1.10.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/armv7sf-k2.6/unbound-control-setup_1.10.1-1_armv7-2.6.ipk, wget returned 8.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download unbound-control-setup. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package unbound-control-setup.

***ERROR occurred installing unbound
+1

I get the very same think ... I tried to run opkg update separate but when i go back and try to install unbound i get the same error.
First I uninstalled Unbound installer => Reboot => Updated the entware packages via Diversion => Install Unbound =>
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/aarch64-k3.10/unbound-daemon_1.10.1-1_aarch6.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download unbound-daemon. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package unbound-daemon.

Any thoughts?

I get the very same think ... I tried to run opkg update separate but when i go back and try to install unbound i get the same error.
First I uninstalled Unbound installer => Reboot => Updated the entware packages via Diversion => Install Unbound =>
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/aarch64-k3.10/unbound-daemon_1.10.1-1_aarch6.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download unbound-daemon. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package unbound-daemon.

Any thoughts?
The Entware server is up again, but files are missing and some are possibly corrupt. For now I would just wait before attempting to do any updates or installs until they say that everything is back to normal.

There has to be an uninstall routine for unbound, even if bin.entware.net is not reachable.
We cannot rely on it staying online forever.

I was able to uninstall unbound successfully - from SSH prompt run "unbound_manager advanced" [without the quotes] and even though it states that unbound is not running - taking option z and will uninstall it. Not a particularly "clean" uninstall - so leaves bits and bobs behind ... but gets the job done. If you OCD - then you can cleanup the unbound residue manually with WinSCP / MobaXterm or any of the other SFTP utilities.

However - until bin.entware.net is FULLY fixed - re-install attempts will fail.

Like I said before ... be patient ...

Like I said before ... be patient ...

bin.entware.net back up and seems fully functional. Unbound reinstalled and functional.

bin.entware.net back up and seems fully functional.

That’s what the entware folks say on their Telegram. Go forth and update/upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT-AX88U running 384.18 beta1. Getting this Warning error message on install of Unbound? Ideas how to correct....
upload_2020-6-20_10-43-38.png

Update: Fixed!! Went to 'ntpMerlin' and performed a restart of ntpd. Message back that ntpd=dead. Uninstalled ntpMerlin and re-installed again. Restart of ntpd now worked. Then went to Unbound and on install, no more warning message of "Entware NTPServer Installed but Not running".

Last edited:
Easiest? Did you reboot the router?

Easiest? Did you reboot the router?
Yes. Uninstalled Unbound, re-booted router, Install Unbound and still get that same message. "Warning Entware NTP Server installed but not running". On the Router Admin panel have "Enable Local NTP Server = Yes" and "Intercept NTP Client Requests = No".

@nzwayne you should set "Enable Local NTP Server" to 'No'.

Are you running ntpMerlin? It does seem like you might be? :)

Just got home now and pushed another update.
Everything is working fine now :)