What's new

Understanding merlin version with offical asus version for aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peter_cd.cn

New Around Here
Q: With every update of Merlin version, what version should I run my Aimesh node on?

Example:
The main router new release for my device is on 386.2_6 (6-June-2021)
In the changelog it says:
386.2 (2-Apr-2021)
- UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_42095.

Does "GPL 386_42095" means it was last forked with official Asus version 386_42095?
Which means the last official version before 386_42095 would be "tested" with Aimesh node?

I went to Asus website and look for firmware for my Aimesh node, I see:
1623516928731.png

Latest 386.43129 > GPL 386_42095 Not gonna use that for AiMesh node.
Previous 386.41634 < GPL 386_42095. I chose this for AiMesh node.

Does this logic make sense? Or am I overthinking it?
The goal is to stay as close as possible with the latest update.

Router or node, Merlin or Asus, run the most recent. Merlin is usually a bit ahead of official Asus releases. And, you can run Merlin on the nodes.

To save yourself upgrade agony I would use either all Merlin or all Asus. Asus is moving to Scheduled Auto Upgrade which is great if you do not want to be continually checking this forum and Asus websites for upgrades.

Router or node, Merlin or Asus, run the most recent. Merlin is usually a bit ahead of official Asus releases. And, you can run Merlin on the nodes.

To save yourself upgrade agony I would use either all Merlin or all Asus. Asus is moving to Scheduled Auto Upgrade which is great if you do not want to be continually checking this forum and Asus websites for upgrades.
Not running all Merlin because "it is recommended to leave your nodes on the stock."
Quote wiki page:
While Merlin-based nodes seem to work fine so far (aside from the above limitation), there is generally little benefit in running it on a node, so it's generally recommended to leave your nodes on the stock Asus firmware.

But sounds like it is safe for me to always run the latest stock Asus on nodes. Because Merlin is ahead of stock Asus. Correct?

That recommendation is almost a couple of years old now. :)

The best throughput, stability, and reliability is running all routers on the same firmware fork (and version, of course).

Actually, it's almost 8 years old now.