What's new

Unidentified Network Issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, lets confirm what hardware we are dealing with. The Linksys router is a EA8500 and the Netgear looks to be a Netgear C3700-100NAS. The tricky part is the Netgear C3700 has two ethernet ports, and in bridge mode, which ethernet port used depends on which one a devices requests DHCP through. If you can get online with another device, wired or wireless, through the EA8500, then that must already be getting the IP address. To confirm that, log into the router and look under the "Troubleshooting Tab" for the "IPv4" internet address and make sure that is the same IP as seen when you go to this site on your house internet(not cellular). In general it should be a public IP and not a local 192.168.x.x/172.x.x./10.x.x.x/etc IP address.

::Edit:: If you aren't getting online through the EA8500 at all, then I would suggest a full power cycle of all equipment before proceeding. To do that, turn off the power to everything, then reconnect the power to the Netgear C3700 and wait for the "Internet" light on the front to be solid green. Then reconnect the power to the Linksys EA8500 and wait for the Linksys logo light on the front to be solid(not blinking). Then power up the desktop PC.

Once you confirm a public IP to the Linksys router, you should unplug any other ethernet from the Netgear C3700 EXCEPT the one going to the EA8500. That ethernet should go from where it is plugged into the C3700 into the yellow internet port of the Linksys EA8500. Then connect a different ethernet (blue?) from one of the blue "Ethernet" ports on the EA8500 and connect that to your PC. I see 3 USB coming from your desktop, and I assume one of those is for your wireless USB adapter. If so, unplug that and then reboot your computer. Your desktop should now be connecting to the Linksys router just like all the other devices on your network.

Putting the Netgear C3700 into bridge should have already disabled the wireless on it, but make sure that isn't broadcasting any Wifi signal at all. Sometimes it's called something easy like "Netgear2.4<RNG>" but if not, just look at the wifi network around you with the Netgear gateway on, then unplug it's power and see if any networks drop. If so, that network is being broadcast by the Netgear gateway and has to be disabled so it doesn't conflict with the wireless coming from the EA8500.

Sorry for long post, but hopefully that should get you started. If your PC still can't get as valid IP even after all that, and you have confirmed other devices CAN, then the problem becomes the PC or the ethernet NIC. I will safe those troubleshooting steps for if it comes to that.

Last edited:
173.172.219.96 IPv4 listed under troubleshooting inside Router

Your IP Address Is:
2605:6000:1304:a00f:d896:ca07:8f93:814d Ip address listed once i go to the website provided.

Also you were spot on with your Router /Modem models.

lastly the USB wifi adapter is internal to the best of my knowledge. The 3 USBs that are connected are mouse, keyboard and Headset

173.172.219.96 IPv4 listed under troubleshooting inside Router

Your IP Address Is:
2605:6000:1304:a00f:d896:ca07:8f93:814d Ip address listed once i go to the website provided.

Also you were spot on with your Router /Modem models.

lastly the USB wifi adapter is internal to the best of my knowledge. The 3 USBs that are connected are mouse, keyboard and Headset

Looking at that it appears my modem is pushing an IPv6 to the Router

Yes, which might be causing a issue. Try disabling IPv6 on the Netgear router. Also, I think the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter is the internal adapter. It's the "Realtek RTL8723AU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter" that seems to be external. Unless the USB is connected to a USB header inside the case. It comes up disconnected but I don't know if that means it's wireless state is disconnected or the adapter is physically disconnected from the PC and it's showing as a old(shadow) driver.

Yes, which might be causing a issue. Try disabling IPv6 on the Netgear router. Also, I think the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter is the internal adapter. It's the "Realtek RTL8723AU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter" that seems to be external. Unless the USB is connected to a USB header inside the case. It comes up disconnected but I don't know if that means it's wireless state is disconnected or the adapter is physically disconnected from the PC and it's showing as a old(shadow) driver.
It’s absolutely an internal USB header. It’s disconnected simply because I disconnected it from the WiFi. When it’s on I have WiFi 1 and WiFi 2 connected. One 2.4ghz band and 1 5 ghz band

Interesting. So one antenna must be to a 2.4 Realtek and one for the 5Ghz Broadcom AC adapter. But how do you do Wifi AC over one antenna? I guess that's neither here nor there. I think some driver issue is causing a problem between the PC and router when it tries to negotiate DHCPv6. I would suggest disabling IPv6 in the router for testing, and if it works, but need IPv6 for other devices on your network, I can later show the correct way to disable IPv6 on the PC. Or if you prefer, we can start with that route. Which kind of instructions, if any, would you prefer?

I just had a thought. Make sure the Linksys router is in router mode, and not AP or bridge mode. It really seems like the PC is getting a 169 IP because whatever it is asking for a IPv4 address is saying "no". I would imagine if the linksys router wasn't in router mode, it would cause issues with other computers too, but maybe it has something to do with the desktop being the only ethernet. Do you have any other devices with ethernet you can test with?

Can you post what items are listed under the local area connection properties? Something is breaking the PC from loading the driver correctly. There is the possibility the card itself is bad. When did the problem start? When you upgraded to to Windows 10? Also, have you tried the Intel driver I linked to?

Can you post what items are listed under the local area connection properties? Something is breaking the PC from loading the driver correctly. There is the possibility the card itself is bad. When did the problem start? When you upgraded to to Windows 10? Also, have you tried the Intel driver I linked to?
I ran the diagnostic tool in the adapter and it passed all 4 tests and I do believe it happens after the windows 10 update.

What version of the driver are you using now? And can you show the properties? I can give instructions specific to Windows 10 if you need them.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• PC6.jpg
    PC6.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 431
  • PC7.jpg
    PC7.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 509
  • PC8.jpg
    PC8.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 621
Are your IPv4 options set to DHCP? Also, disable the LLDP driver. If you haven't disable IPv6 on the router, then uncheck that too.

Tried both of those solutions aswell to no avail. Im starting to lean towards and issue with the NIC but since its integrated into the MOBO im guessing not alot I can do about that without replacing the entire thing. Any reason it would pass all the Diagnostic tests and still be a NIC issue ?

Diagnsotic testing shows hardware good

Attachments

• PC9.jpg
    PC9.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 514
  • pc10.jpg
    pc10.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 520
  • pc11.jpg
    pc11.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 493
  • pc12.jpg
    pc12.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 548
  • pc13.jpg
    pc13.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 417
The fact that it's not even negotiating a link says to me it's probably a hardware issue. Have you tried with a different ethernet? Can't be sure, but next step is either trying with a Linux OS or buying a PCI NIC or external adapter. I assume you're getting online wireless?