What's new

UNITs Confusion (KB/s , KBps , MB/s , MBps) in ASUS Routers ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boorock70

Occasional Visitor
There seems to be a serious corruption in UNITS in ASUS Routers.
Different screens, identify same connection in different but FALSE units ?

How can 2332.89 KBps (1) can be equal to 2.15 MB/s (2) which is shown as 21.85Mbps (3) ?
(the sreenshot was taken when other clients were inactive. Only DM was active & running !)

I'm NOT talking about the "values" I'm mentioning the "units" in particular...
Of course there can be differences in values at the same-time taken screenshots but all of the "units" used seems meaningless, just because of a simple unit conversion problem!

I think they should be 23328.9 KBps (1) can be equal to 2.15 MB/s (2) which is shown as 21.85Mbps (3)
- Or what am I missing in here ?

asus 1.jpg

As a suggestion, using Mbps in all screens as the only unit will solve that corruption as we use Mbps (Mega Bits Per Second) unit for internet connection in most of the countries...

asus 2.jpg

Last edited:
That makes no sense at all and I have no idea what they have done, but something is clearly very broken.
Did you ping their support about this?

It's probably the age-old digital issue of whether 1KB is 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes!

I really don't understand what you mean by "corruption in UNITS" and "FALSE units". There is nothing corrupted or false (I'm ignoring Download Master as I've never used that). Yes, different units are used on different screens making for an inconsistent experience (which I find frustrating as well).

How can 2332.89 KBps (1) can be equal to 2.15 MB/s (2) which is shown as 21.85Mbps (3) ?
2332.89 / 1024 = 2.28 MBps (assuming base 1024) which is in the same ball park as 2.15 MB/s.

I think they should be 23328.9 KBps (1) can be equal to 2.15 MB/s (2) which is shown as 21.85Mbps (3)
- Or what am I missing in here ?
23328.9 KBps would be 22.78 MBps or 182 Mbps (or 191 Mbps using base 1000).

Last edited:
I really don't understand what you mean by "corruption in UNITS" and "FALSE units". There is nothing corrupted or false (I'm ignoring Download Master as I've never used that). Yes, different units are used on different screens making for an inconsistent experience (which I find frustrating as well).

2332.89 / 1024 = 2.28 MBps (assuming base 1024) which is in the same ball park as 2.15 MB/s.

23328.9 KBps would be 22.78 MBps or 182 Mbps (or 191 Mbps using base 1000).
You're definitely right. I did f*ck up the conversion, like most of the users... My bad, sorry.

Anyway the main problem seems to be using different units in different screens, which seems meaningless as they all should be in Mbps.
I'm not edting my 1st post, as anyone can be confused just like me.

That makes no sense at all and I have no idea what they have done, but something is clearly very broken.
Did you ping their support about this?
I did informed ASUS by their support page and got the automated confirmation mail today.
- Let's see, what ASUS Product Support will do now... :rolleyes:

Received the automated reply below.
They didn't even read my mail at all.
Problem is NOT an internet speed issue, it's the UNITs used in different screens other than Mbps !

asus 3.jpg

I did sent a reply, describing the problem as "different UNITs in different screens" but I'm not optimistic that they'll even understand it.
It seems, that the Mbps issue will be adressed and solved by Merlin again ;)

- Hey Merlin, can you help with the Mbps issue ?
It's not specific to RT-AC68U only, all ASUS Routers are effected like a plaque.

- Download Master is using KBps, (both in windows app and Web UI)
- Router WEB UI using MB/s (File transfer speed unit... but why?)
- while the phone app is using Mbps as speed UNIT which seems meaningless as they should all be Mbps !

Using different units on differents screens other than Mbps is very confusing. Because every country, every ISP are using Mbps for internet speed globally...

- Download Master is using KBps, (both in windows app and Web UI)
- Router WEB UI using MB/s (File transfer speed unit... but why?)
- while the phone app is using Mbps as speed UNIT which seems meaningless as they should all be Mbps !

Using different units on differents screens other than Mbps is very confusing. Because every country, every ISP are using Mbps for internet speed globally...
I agree that there should be consistency, but it is a bit too much to say that *everything* needs to be in Mbps.

The download master makes perfect sense to remain in KBps or MBps as it is the measure of the speed of a file transfer. Files have a size that is measured in *bytes*, so some order of magnitude of bytes should be used to track download progress.

For Interface utilisation, then yes, an appropriate magnitude of *bits* per second should be used.
For throughput less than maybe a Mbps, then the value would best be displayed in Kbps, but for higher throughput, then Mbps makes more sense.

Context matters a lot.

But yes, Asus could put a lot more attention into making sure their choice of units makes more sense.

I agree that there should be consistency, but it is a bit too much to say that *everything* needs to be in Mbps.

The download master makes perfect sense to remain in KBps or MBps as it is the measure of the speed of a file transfer. Files have a size that is measured in *bytes*, so some order of magnitude of bytes should be used to track download progress.

For Interface utilisation, then yes, an appropriate magnitude of *bits* per second should be used.
For throughput less than maybe a Mbps, then the value would best be displayed in Kbps, but for higher throughput, then Mbps makes more sense.

Context matters a lot.

But yes, Asus could put a lot more attention into making sure their choice of units makes more sense.
Download Master should be in Mbps cause, you already know the file size you're downloading (it's shown both in windows utility & WEB UI) and also there is a counter showing the percentage of the file you have downloaded. But the thing you care about is the speed of download not it's size in my opinion.

asus 4.jpg

asus 5.jpg

Measuring everything in Mbps will be much more meaningful as you'll like to know how much of your speed is used by the clients, including Download Master.
And yes, we are on the same track with others.

Last edited:

Context matters a lot.

Kilo Byte or Kilo bit per second? KBps and MBps are just bad form, as it's not clear if it's Bytes or bits.
Hence Mbps for and Kbps should be used, or MB/s or KB/s, as this avoids any kind of confusion.

It's probably the age-old digital issue of whether 1KB is 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes!
^^ That.

It's only the recent (1970's++) computer people who think 1 KB is 1024 bytes :). Traditionally it has been 10^3 for communications and storage capacity, and 2^10 for memory and file size. There's an ISO standard to address this from 1998. It still brings out complaints (my 1 TB disk is only 900 GB; my 100Mb internet connection is only 95 Mb). There are inconsistent attempts (e.g. in Linux) to use KiB to mean 1024 bytes and KB to mean 1000 bytes. K has meant 1000 since 1832. Only pedantic people like me care.

Enjoy the ride.

Asus could put a lot more attention into making sure their choice of units makes more sense.
As could the majority of people posting to this forum. :cool:

Meaning..?
Meaning it's very common to see posts in these forums from people using the incorrect units. So for example, it creates confusion and wastes time when people post about mbps when they might mean MB/s or Mbps (and that's even if you ignore the whole 1000 vs. 1024 issue).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!