What's new

Unknown Devices on Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brenneke

Regular Contributor
In Network Map I am seeing some unknown clients listed that i have not seen before. (RT-AX88U on latest)
Can someone please give me some advice on how to go about pinning these down to ensure they are legitimate?

Most likely Private Wi-Fi Address on your iOS and Android phones/tablets. Check the settings on your devices.

These are ethernet connected devices - am beginning to wonder if Network Map is even accurate and live - is it?
At one time it showed me more devices than I have cables in router.
Is there something I can do in command line that is better?

am beginning to wonder if Network Map is even accurate

No, it isn't. Sometimes only Wi-Fi channel change is needed and you end up with more wired devices than ports. Devices with static IPs are often not displayed at all. Wired devices connected at some point linger forever after disconnected. This is how it "works" in all Asuswrt versions.

OK, good to know thank you.
Is there anything I can do in command line to monitor more accurately?

I have found changing the output list format to INTERFACE helps sort them out.
I have a directv set top box DVR which is the master for the other 3 receivers. The master shows up as on the guest network but the other three (proxied or something by the master) show up as directly connected. This started happening after a firmware update about 2 weeks ago. My other problem devices are those iphones as noted. Some updates seem to regenerate the private MACs generated by the apple devices.

Last but not least you may need to search for the OUI/Vendor ID using the MAC address- that might give you some idea of the type of the device. https://ouilookup.com/

You can disable Private Wi-Fi Address in settings for your own Wi-Fi network.
Yes, I found that out - and decided to live with the private macs.

These are ethernet connected devices - am beginning to wonder if Network Map is even accurate and live - is it?
At one time it showed me more devices than I have cables in router.
Is there something I can do in command line that is better?

One ethernet connected device can show as multiple, obviously a switch or AP would do this but other devices can bridge stuff or act as a proxy for other devices.

But as mentioned already the network map can get confused easily too. A reboot should get rid of any gremlins, if they come back then you have something that is using multiple MACs/IPs (either itself or stuff "behind" it).

Unless someone has snuck in and plugged in something you don't know about, would be hard for a wired device to be something that isn't yours.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!