What's new

Unstable netwerk with AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MilkywayChris

New Around Here
So my setup is:
- router: RT-AX88U with firmware 386.2_4 (have tried updating it some weeks ago, but the webinterface didn't do anything when I selected the firmware file, will try later when son is not gaming)
- node before: RT-AC68U with firmware 386.2_4
- node now: RT-AX68U with firmware 386.4
Nodes are connected via cable.

The issue I'm having is that the wireless network stops working after a few days.
Quite random: can work OK for a whole week, can fail after 1 or 2 days.
When I turn off the node, there are no stability issues.
But then I don't have enough bandwidth in my desk for video conferencing which is quite essential these days.
In the spring I want to start up the RT-AC68U in the garden for coverage there.

I've tried these things:
- disable Roaming Assistant on both bands. Seemed to have helped somewhat.
- disable Wi-Fi Agile Multiband
- reboot every day at 5 am. Helped a little bit, but no guarantee.
- no guest networks are active, no VPNs, no addons are running, nothing special.

This has been an issue since I turned on AiMesh.
I had hoped it would be resolved with the new node, but no such luck and it's driving me nuts.
Any suggestions?

The issue I'm having is that the wireless network stops working after a few days.
Quite random: can work OK for a whole week, can fail after 1 or 2 days.
When I turn off the node, there are no stability issues.

Can you elaborate on the issue... working, not working is not much to go on? Are clients still connecting to both bands at their max link rate? Is there any data throughput? Is there competing WiFi (interference) on the channel? Are LAN clients still working well at router, at node? etc.

OE

Yes, you're quite right.
So what happens is that all clients lose wifi access and internet access and can't connect anymore. (or network cannot be found anymore)
On the AX88U all lights are white, signaling no issues. With previous firmware versions I did have a red light for the wifi, but not anymore now.

I'm in a separate home, so the neighbours are all at least 10m away. I do see some Wifi networks.
My 2.4Ghz network is on channel 8, there is nothing else on channel 8
My 5GHz network is on channel 100. Again nothing else on channel 100.
I see another network on channel 1 (very weak) and another on channel 5, also weak.
And now also on channel 11. Again weak.

Thanks, I'm trying it out now and really hopes it solves my issues, but 2 things I find odd:
- why would this only be a problem when an AiMesh node is active? I have no issues with only the RT-AX88U router active.
- why does this influence the 2.4GHz Wifi? Your link states:
Note that 2.4GHz is still available during Channel Availability Check process, so user could use 2.4GHz band instead or wait for 5GHz band 1-10 minutes.

It could be the backhaul channels are getting knocked out when a radar pulse is detected....it causes the channels to switch. As mentioned, use channel 36 or 149 at 80MHz since those channels are not affected by DFS interference.

Hi, on Saturday morning I had to restart my router because Wifi had dropped suddenly.
So it seems changing the channel was not sufficient.

AiMesh works better when:

- the routers are the same model
- the routers run stock Asuswrt firmware
- wired backhaul configuration is used
- fresh start with factory default routers

With different routers and Asuswrt-Merlin you have to find what combination works for you, by trial and error method.