What's new

Untangle - Hardware Specs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Protos

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

I am interested in setting up a router/firewall based on Untangle. I have a 1 gig fiber connection and I want to be able to run all modules like ipd/ips ect at full speed.
On the Untangle website there are a couple of devices that are for sale but they will only do 500mbs.

Does anyone have any insights they could share ?

Thanks for reading.

Have you searched the threads here or in the security subforum ?
there have been a number of conversations about Gbit and untangle/pfsense etc and hardware used in recent history.

I did a quick search but all I was getting was quad core x86 and I did not want that power usage..
Do not normally browse outside of the Merlin sub forum or the general forum.
Thanks for pointing me to the security sub section. I quite like it.

Thanks tarassippo, I did look at protecli.
I have to say I find the prices a little ridiculous.

It looks like I will probably end up going with a quad core Intel mini pc of some flavor. It appears to be the best bang for the buck so to speak.
Not silent or as efficient but I cannot justify 600 for router/firewall on my small network. Add in access points and license fee, assorted accessories and you start getting past the 1k region.
I wanted to keep router/ap to under 500

Last edited:
I used an Intel server motherboard with a Xeon CPU in my rack. My server motherboards being Intel contained 2 Intel 1g NICs.

I turned off my rack so I am interested in what you find. I might have to run Untangle again in the future. You never know.

Thank you that looks very interesting. I thought you need more than 2ghz to do 1gbs maxed out. Would be great if it could do the job.

@Jose C
Thank you Jose, I am a little hesitant regarding Ali express but I will definitely see what they have. Thank you.

@Tech9
Indeed. Truth but some options presented that may skin the cat so to speak.

You are probably correct in needing a more powerful cpu for 1G service. I only have 100M connections so it meets my needs without any problems.

Thank you that looks very interesting. I thought you need more than 2ghz to do 1gbs maxed out. Would be great if it could do the job.

@Jose C
Thank you Jose, I am a little hesitant regarding Ali express but I will definitely see what they have. Thank you.

@Tech9
Indeed. Truth but some options presented that may skin the cat so to speak.
I was a bit worried about buying there but it turns out to be ok, they sent it using dhl, I could see tracking info and after three years later the qotom box is still working no problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!