What's new

Update Modules R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johnathon

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to update the modules for the R9000 firmware. Currently it is running versions of applications that are 10 years old:

root@StorageofDN:/$ dnsmasq -version
Dnsmasq version 2.39 Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Simon Kelley
Compile time options IPv6 GNU-getopt no-ISC-leasefile no-DBus no-I18N no-TFTP

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2.

Is there a way to do this or maybe recompile the firmware to update the pieces?

Thanks,

J

:) I'm running the latest HW version but it's running a 10 year old version of DNSMasq... I don't know how to recompile it or if we can update the modules somehow but opkg is built into the firmware.

Ah, gotcha.

He goes away from time to time (assume for work) for 10 days at a time. He is gone on one of those right now.

But I am sure he will have comments on dnsmasq when he gets back and the recent flaws found in it. With that said, I am sure the options netgear are using are likely version dependant, so it may require some rework on voxels part to upgrade dnsmasq. Let's see.....

Outside of that, I am not build educated enough to explain how to recompile netgears builds with updated dnsmasq package. DD-WRT may be running a later version. But that's DD-WRT, and everything that comes with that.

It doesn't matter... the GPL code is bad... really really bad. Stuff is over 10 years old the kernel is:

作者fourdollars (四元)
看板Linux
標題[分享] Linux kernel 3.10.6 "TOSSUG Baby Fish"
時間Tue Aug 13 13:38:58 2013

Kong released a new build of DDWRT for the R9000, might give that a try for a bit. I am a bit sketched out by this firmwares gpl code.

Me? No, I am using a Synology RT2600AC at the moment. Haven't had too much stability luck with DD-WRT over the past couple years, really just staying away.

Me either, and I do not have a single positive thing to say about Brainslayer. I can say the community has improved though, much nicer but still a buggy product. It's only Kong who seems to actually read feedback on bugs and attempt to fix them. Brainslayers bugtracker is a joke and he definitely does not take feedback well nor follow up on bug reports "won't fix" - my favorite.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!