What's new

Upgrade from Asus RT-N66U running WRT Merlin? Recommendations??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

britchie911

Occasional Visitor
Wanted to upgrade router for faster Wifi with better range. Have lots of configuration settings etc that I would like to keep by restoring .CFG file if possible onto newer Asus running Asuswrt-Merlin. Can I do that? Which ASUS router would you buy? Price not a major factor.

Last edited:
You need to do your homework better. AC3200 is a 2014 router. RT-AC86U is a 2017 router. Different generation routers. RT-AC86U also has Smart Connect and is 5 times faster in OVPN. RT-AC86U main issue is the reliability. Read around SNB how many routers failed. I had 2 RT-AC86U and both failed. Some say units manufactured in 2019-2020 are better. You may have better luck.

Have lots of settings/PF etc that I would like to keep by restoring .CFG file if possible onto newer Asus running Asuswrt-Merlin.
No you shouldn't attempt to reload an old settings file from a different router. Too many router options have changed.