What's new

Upgrade Process for Old Version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there any way to export/import things like DHCP reservations and simple stuff like that? I really don't want to manually do all that stuff if I don't have to.

Is there any way to export/import things like DHCP reservations and simple stuff like that? I really don't want to manually do all that stuff if I don't have to.
Yes, there's already quite a lot of posts about that specifically. Search for dhcp_staticlist.

Thanks. What about the names you can assign to connected clients? Like if you click on LAN connections, it shows the wired and wireless connections on the right. By default, mine are mostly just MAC's. I have been just tagging them with the hostname for convenience. I have found it useful. Anyway, is there any way to save those?

You'll have to read those other threads about that. I use John's firmware in which those names don't exist, so I can't tell you what you need to do. IIRC it's just another variable that you need to backup.

Ok, so how does this list of steps look?

1) Backup (JFFS dir, dhcp list, client list, etc)
2) Remove USB Stick with Optware/scripts on it.
3) Install Firmware 378.55
4) Factory Reset
5) Install Firmware 384,8_2
6) Factory Reset
7) Start to implement basic settings in the UI and verify functionality.
8) Install AMTM?
9) Use AMTM to install xx? (So far the only things I can validate I have installed is optware and some customer config/scripts on the jffs (usb).
10) Plugin USB with already working jffs directory/files

Did I miss anything? Will AMTM install optware? And I think RMerlin said that I should be able to just plug the usb stick back in and the scripts/configs work again.

I know little about Entware or Opteare other than what I’ve read in this forum, so I suggest you search the forum and double check: I could eadily have got the wrong end of the stick!

I believe Optware is a little outdated and inferior to Entware, and that, if you install it, you install either one or the other but not both. AMTM installs Entware at some stage. I don’t lnow if it gets installed with AMTM or with one of the optional packages eg Diversin or Skynet. Again, a search on the forum should soon get you an answer.

Thanks. You guys are awesome.

Well, I wish things were getting easier, but it seems they get harder at each turn lol. Frankly, I do not even remember what optware does and why I installed it. I thought I did it so that I could use the scripts and configs on the usb drive, but maybe I am wrong. I say that because it sounds like I should use entware instead, but I know nothing about it. Does entware do all the functionality of optware? And can you just replace one with the other and it still work?

Entware allows you to install additional software packages on your router for enhanced functionality, if you need it. It doesn’t do anything in and of itself. It’s like the App Store for your router.

I also feel that you’re confusing the purpose of your USB stick with the built-in JFFS partition of your router’s nvram. Custom scripts and configs reside in /jffs, while your USB stick is mounted as /tmp/mnt/<usb disk label>. Your router will only call scripts from the /jffs area. Those jffs scripts might call a script or command from the USB, but the jffs script needs to be there first.

I get all the nerves about upgrading and resetting, but if you’re not really sure what extra functions your router is providing, this may be a good time to just start from scratch using the base features until you realize something is missing or lacking.

And when you do, we’ll be ready to help.

.. Frankly, I do not even remember what optware does and why I installed it. ...
Then it’s quite likely the reason(s) you installed that stuff may have been overtaken by events over the years eg removal of devices, changes to network .. Perhaps you should just do all those steps up to but not including AMTM, and then, if you find that something you previously took for granted no longer works, that may well jog your memory, but you’ll simply come back and ask how to achieve a specific aim/function.
But it may well be that everything works and you’ll never know why you previously installed Optware until you meet the Great Network Administrator in the sky.

Then it’s quite likely the reason(s) you installed that stuff may have been overtaken by events over the years eg removal of devices, changes to network .. Perhaps you should just do all those steps up to but not including AMTM, and then, if you find that something you previously took for granted no longer works, that may well jog your memory, but you’ll simply come back and ask how to achieve a specific aim/function.
But it may well be that everything works and you’ll never know why you previously installed Optware until you meet the Great Network Administrator in the sky.
You are 100% correct. I built a lot of this a long time ago and just don't remember what I did after all the years and the changes. I know I have optware. Is there any way to find out what, if anything, I have installed in or with optware? I was confusing the files/scripts/configs in the jffs with what is stored on my usb drive.

I just browsed what I believe is my usb drive at: /tmp/mnt/OPTWARE. I have 3 directories: lost+found, Download2, and asusware.arm. The Download2 directory seems to have some files and directories that indicate it was for something bittorrent related. I do not remember it at all, but they're all very old, so I assume I can delete it. I assume lost+ found is something default for orphaned files or something. The asusware.arm, I have no idea about. Does this indicate that I do not have anything installed with/in Optware? I am sure that I installed optware because I read on here that I should lol. I vaguely remember using the usb drive and thinking that it could be used for some kind of storage, but I don't think I have ever used it.

The only other "files" I am aware of are in the jffs directory, and they are scripts/configs, etc. After I upgrade and wipe this thing, can I just copy those files to the new jffs and will they work? I think that is what RMerlin said, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
You are 100% correct. I built a lot of this a long time ago and just don't remember what I did after all the years and the changes. I know I have optware. Is there any way to find out what, if anything, I have installed in or with optware? I was confusing the files/scripts/configs in the jffs with what is stored on my usb drive.

I just browsed what I believe is my usb drive at: /tmp/mnt/OPTWARE. I have 3 directories: lost+found, Download2, and asusware.arm. The Download2 directory seems to have some files and directories that indicate it was for something bittorrent related. I do not remember it at all, but they're all very old, so I assume I can delete it. I assume lost+ found is something default for orphaned files or something. The asusware.arm, I have no idea about. Does this indicate that I do not have anything installed with/in Optware? I am sure that I installed optware because I read on here that I should lol. I vaguely remember using the usb drive and thinking that it could be used for some kind of storage, but I don't think I have ever used it.

The only other "files" I am aware of are in the jffs directory, and they are scripts/configs, etc. After I upgrade and wipe this thing, can I just copy those files to the new jffs and will they work? I think that is what RMerlin said, if I am not mistaken.

I know

I really wouldn’t install anything into jffs or anywhere else unless you know exactly why. By all means make a backup, which hopefully will turn out to be redundant.

Reading through your post I’m all the more convinced you would do well to completely forget about Optware, Entware; just set up the router up to, but not including AMTM, get it all working, run all your devices and then after a few days when you’re confident all’s well, by all means think about installing Skynet and Diversion via that outstanding AMTM, “the SNB Forum Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu”.

Just make sure you carefully follow the steps for factory resetting/initialising including wiping jffs. And if eventually you do end up with scripts in jffs remember to allow the setting that allows those scripts to run. But that’s a way off yet, I think.

...I also feel that you’re confusing the purpose of your USB stick with the built-in JFFS partition of your router’s nvram.

...just start from scratch using the base features until you realize something is missing or lacking.

^ This. Exactly what he said.

1. Use ISP router as your main router for a while. Download the firmwares you need.
2. Unplug all network cables from Asus router and put on a desk next to your PC. Disable wifi on PC and plug PC into Asus router via Ethernet cable.
3. Hold factory reset button on router for about 10 seconds until lights flash? It'll probably take a minute or two to finish.
4. As soon as your PC can load the router webpage you should quickly disable the WiFi (you can use the button on side of router) so that strangers don't connect.
5. Use PC to upload the new firmware via router web UI and let it do it's thing. You don't want to interrupt the process. Even after it says its completed and my PC is able to load the router webpage again I like to leave it another minute so I'm sure it did get a chance to finish it's reboot.
6. Turn off the router, unplug the power cord, leave it 10 seconds, then press the power button, leave it 15 seconds, then plug back in the power cord and press the power button to turn it back on.
7. I'd just repeat steps 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 for each firmware version until you're on the latest.
8. Manually put back in all the router settings. Use those recommended by people on this forum.
9. Unplug from PC and put it back into place on your network how it was before.

You don't have to do all the factory resets. Most people don't like the bother and do dirty updates flashing the new firmware but keeping the old settings. Personally I just like to make sure I purge all the old settings and manually put them back in so there is less chance of problems.

I really wouldn’t install anything into jffs or anywhere else unless you know exactly why. By all means make a backup, which hopefully will turn out to be redundant.

Reading through your post I’m all the more convinced you would do well to completely forget about Optware, Entware; just set up the router up to, but not including AMTM, get it all working, run all your devices and then after a few days when you’re confident all’s well, by all means think about installing Skynet and Diversion via that outstanding AMTM, “the SNB Forum Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu”.

Just make sure you carefully follow the steps for factory resetting/initialising including wiping jffs. And if eventually you do end up with scripts in jffs remember to allow the setting that allows those scripts to run. But that’s a way off yet, I think.

Thanks.

I have reviewed all of the files in my jffs and I do know what they are there for. I need all of that to continue working. I basically have the following:

Scripts Directory
init-start: Adding a schedule task to reboot daily.
dnsmaq.postconf: Command to remove the "local=" tag.
firewall-start: The ipset script to block request from certain countries.

Ipset-Lists
ipset-lists(directory): Used to download the country block lists.

Configs
dnsmasq.conf.add: Some entries to better control distribution of DNS resolution (local vs public).

That's all I have. Like I said, I basically have nothing in my usb drive OPTWARE directory, so I assume I do not have anything installed. Does this sound like I could just import my jffs files into the new jffs directory at the end and it will work?

I do plan to keep the install simple and such. I know that once I validate it is working, I will want to add the usb back for storage (if necessary) and turn on entware. Is there a post or something that shows all of the "apps" that are available to Optware or Entware? I cannot say if I will want or need anything unless I know whats available. I have searched, but there are hundreds of posts with those keywords and I haven't see one that answers that question.

Thanks.

I have reviewed all of the files in my jffs and I do know what they are there for. I need all of that to continue working. I basically have the following:

Scripts Directory
init-start: Adding a schedule task to reboot daily.
dnsmaq.postconf: Command to remove the "local=" tag.
firewall-start: The ipset script to block request from certain countries.

Ipset-Lists
ipset-lists(directory): Used to download the country block lists.

Configs
dnsmasq.conf.add: Some entries to better control distribution of DNS resolution (local vs public).

That's all I have. Like I said, I basically have nothing in my usb drive OPTWARE directory, so I assume I do not have anything installed. Does this sound like I could just import my jffs files into the new jffs directory at the end and it will work?

I do plan to keep the install simple and such. I know that once I validate it is working, I will want to add the usb back for storage (if necessary) and turn on entware. Is there a post or something that shows all of the "apps" that are available to Optware or Entware? I cannot say if I will want or need anything unless I know whats available. I have searched, but there are hundreds of posts with those keywords and I haven't see one that answers that question.

Daily reboot: do you really need to do that? Seems only people with some rare, impossible-to-troubleshoot snag that grinds the router down do that, otherwise they run indefinitely. Unnecessary reboots may well affect lifespan (of router!)?

Country blocklists dead easy under Skynet.

Daily reboot: do you really need to do that? Seems only people with some rare, impossible-to-troubleshoot snag that grinds the router down do that, otherwise they run indefinitely. Unnecessary reboots may well affect lifespan (of router!)?

Country blocklists dead easy under Skynet.
Well I put it in a while back because there seemed to be some occasional slowness in my house. I got complaints and a restart always seemed to improve it. That's what I put it in. Maybe I don't need it, but i seemed to make more consistent performance.

For blocklists, I have the scrpt from these forums as the firewall script. It auto-updates the country lists and sets them to blocked. It seems pretty efficient and works.

Is there a post or something that shows all of the "apps" that are available to Optware or Entware? I cannot say if I will want or need anything unless I know whats available. I have searched, but there are hundreds of posts with those keywords and I haven't see one that answers that question.

Is there a post or something that shows all of the "apps" that are available to Optware or Entware? I cannot say if I will want or need anything unless I know whats available.
http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k3.2/Packages.html

More than anyone needs. I have these packages installed:
Code:
# opkg list-installed
bind-dig - 9.11.5-2
bind-libs - 9.11.5-2
drill - 1.7.0-3
entware-opt - 227000-3
entware-release - 1.0-2
entware-upgrade - 1.0-1
findutils - 4.6.0-1
grep - 3.1-1
htop - 2.2.0-2
libc - 2.23-8
libgcc - 7.3.0-8
libldns - 1.7.0-3
libncurses - 6.1-1
libncursesw - 6.1-1
libopenssl - 1.0.2p-1a
libpcre - 8.42-1
libpthread - 2.23-8
libreadline - 7.0-1
librt - 2.23-8
libsqlite3 - 3250300-1
libssp - 7.3.0-8
libstdcpp - 7.3.0-8
libtirpc - 1.1.4-1
locales - 2.23-8
lsof - 4.91-1
opkg - 2011-04-08-9c97d5ec-17c
pixelserv-tls - 2.2.0-1
sqlite3-cli - 3250300-1
terminfo - 6.1-1
zlib - 1.2.11-2
zoneinfo-asia - 2018g-1
zoneinfo-europe - 2018g-1

Wow, there is a lot in there. There's so much, I would never get thru just reviewing it all. I will make that a separate effort, to determine what I might want out of entware. I am building my final checklist for doing my upgrade. Here is what I have:

2) Remove USB Stick
4) Factory Reset (optional)
6) Factory Reset (optional)
7) Start to implement basic settings in the UI and verify functionality. Work towards entry of all previous settings from screenshots.
8) Insert USB and enable usb storage in UI.
9) Use commands to restore clientlists and reservations. (nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/dhcplist.txt, nvram set dhcp_staticlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/dhcplist.txt`") & (nvram get custom_clientlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt, nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt`")
10) Copy of files from original jffs directory to the new one.

::OPTIONAL::
8) Install AMTM?
9) Use AMTM to install xx? (So far the only things I can validate I have installed is optware and some customer config/scripts on the jffs (usb).

::Steps to Flash/Install the Dirmware::
1. Use ISP router as your main router for a while. Download the firmwares you need.
2. Unplug all network cables from Asus router and put on a desk next to your PC. Disable wifi on PC and plug PC into Asus router via Ethernet cable.
3. Hold factory reset button on router for about 10 seconds until lights flash? It'll probably take a minute or two to finish.
4. As soon as your PC can load the router webpage you should quickly disable the WiFi (you can use the button on side of router) so that strangers don't connect.
5. Use PC to upload the new firmware via router web UI and let it do it's thing. You don't want to interrupt the process. Even after it says its completed and my PC is able to load the router webpage again I like to leave it another minute so I'm sure it did get a chance to finish it's reboot.
6. Turn off the router, unplug the power cord, leave it 10 seconds, then press the power button, leave it 15 seconds, then plug back in the power cord and press the power button to turn it back on.
7. I'd just repeat steps 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 for each firmware version until you're on the latest.
8. Manually put back in all the router settings. Use those recommended by people on this forum.

How does this look?

I would say Step 6 is not optional. I know your "Steps to Flash/Install the Dirmware" include a factory reset via the button before you install the firmware, but you really need to do one after installing the final firmware and just before you configure it for real.

Wow, there is a lot in there. There's so much, I would never get thru just reviewing it all. I will make that a separate effort, to determine what I might want out of entware. I am building my final checklist for doing my upgrade. Here is what I have:

2) Remove USB Stick
4) Factory Reset (optional)
6) Factory Reset (optional)
7) Start to implement basic settings in the UI and verify functionality. Work towards entry of all previous settings from screenshots.
8) Insert USB and enable usb storage in UI.
9) Use commands to restore clientlists and reservations. (nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/dhcplist.txt, nvram set dhcp_staticlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/dhcplist.txt`") & (nvram get custom_clientlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt, nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt`")
10) Copy of files from original jffs directory to the new one.

::OPTIONAL::
8) Install AMTM?

::Steps to Flash/Install the Dirmware::

How does this look?

I like the “use your ISP router.. for a while”. I pesume that implies you have your ISP router ready to go in case you get into trouble.

What would be most interesting to see would be your amendments or comments to that checklist once you have completed the job. Such a revised checklist could prove quite useful to others coming along in the future.