What's new

Upgrade router for security reasons?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bensrouter

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I am looking for advise: I currently have an Asus RT-AC56U with the latest Merlin LTS Beta (August 2022) and it runs just fine. It covers my small apartment and is sufficient for my 250/50Mbit WAN connection. Still, I am wondering whether I should get a newer router for better security/more recent firmware updates? Thought about a RT-AX56U but then it was mentioned that it probably will no longer be supported by Merlin either.

What do you all think?
Does it make sense to upgrade? If yes, what device should I get?

Thanks all!
Ben

Hi all,
I am looking for advise: I currently have an Asus RT-AC56U with the latest Merlin LTS Beta (August 2022) and it runs just fine. It covers my small apartment and is sufficient for my 250/50Mbit WAN connection. Still, I am wondering whether I should get a newer router for better security/more recent firmware updates? Thought about a RT-AX56U but then it was mentioned that it probably will no longer be supported by Merlin either.

What do you all think?
Does it make sense to upgrade? If yes, what device should I get?

Thanks all!
Ben

ASUS EOL suggests the RT-AX86U. The Pro version will let you try coming ASUSWRT/Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.6.* firmware features going forward.

The RT-AC56U English manual version 2 is dated 2013. A new router will support current and improved WiFi standards and performance.

OE

Last edited:
"Security" is a pretty vague term that means different things to different people. If you're not exposing any ports or services to the internet (e.g. remote access, port forwarding, etc.) that's 99% of security issues addressed. So any theorical security weaknesses would come from inside your network. Those might be from Wi-Fi vulnerabilities (unlikely) or compromised LAN clients. So how secure do you think your LAN clients are? Do you think your LAN needs extra protection from something like AiProtection? I see the benefit that AiProtection might offer (no matter how small that might be) but personally I don't use it on my own router.

It covers my small apartment and is sufficient for my 250/50Mbit WAN connection.

Upgrade to RT-AX86U (Pro) if:
- $250-300 is not much money for you
- Internet use is essential for what you do for living
- you need faster on-router VPN connections
- you plan ISP upgrade to >500Mbps in near future
- you already have AX capable laptops or desktops
- you have a NAS and you need fast wireless access to it

Upgrade to RT-AX58U (V2 now) if:
- you don't want to spend much money
- you don't really need Asuswrt-Merlin support*
- you don't need >70Mbps on-router VPN connections
- you don't mind flat router design taking more space

Almost all Asuswrt-Merlin features are now available in stock Asuswrt 388 series firmware except advanced VPN configurations (VPN Director), Custom Scripts support and global DNS redirection (DNS Director). VPN Fusion (simpler selective VPN routing) and DNS security (per device, from Asus App) are now available in stock Asuswrt, plus DDNS external IP detection, extra DHCP server settings, enhanced WAN settings with DNS-over-TLS support, etc.

Last edited:
"Security" is a pretty vague term that means different things to different people. If you're not exposing any ports or services to the internet (e.g. remote access, port forwarding, etc.) that's 99% of security issues addressed. So any theorical security weaknesses would come from inside your network. Those might be from Wi-Fi vulnerabilities (unlikely) or compromised LAN clients. So how secure do you think your LAN clients are? Do you think your LAN needs extra protection from something like AiProtection? I see the benefit that AiProtection might offer (no matter how small that might be) but personally I don't use it on my own router.

My LAN clients are very secure, all visitors use a Guest network. I was thinking more in terms of security fixes in the firmware but I guess that's not a big issue then?

Upgrade to RT-AX86U (Pro) if:
- $250-300 is not much money for you
- Internet use is essential for what you do for living
- you need faster on-router VPN connections
- you plan ISP upgrade to >500Mbps in near future
- you already have AX capable laptops or desktops
- you have a NAS and you need fast wireless access to it

Upgrade to RT-AX58U (V2 now) if:
- you don't want to spend much money
- you don't really need Asuswrt-Merlin support*
- you don't need >70Mbps on-router VPN connections
- you don't mind flat router design taking more space

Almost all Asuswrt-Merlin features are now available in stock Asuswrt 388 series firmware except advanced VPN configurations (VPN Director), Custom Scripts support and global DNS redirection (DNS Director). VPN Fusion (simpler selective VPN routing) and DNS security (per device, from Asus App) are now available in stock Asuswrt, plus DDNS external IP detection, extra DHCP server settings, enhanced WAN settings with DNS-over-TLS support, etc.

Wow, thank you. I don't really need any of these extra features. I am fine with my old AC56U. I just don't know much about security and just don't want my router getting hacked, hence my question whether it makes sense to upgrade to a newer model.

My LAN clients are very secure, all visitors use a Guest network. I was thinking more in terms of security fixes in the firmware but I guess that's not a big issue then?
As I said, if you're not exposing any ports to the internet then there's nothing to attack. There's always the possibility of some zero-day vulnerability being exploited from the LAN side that your client's AV doesn't know about (but that would be true of any router). So in the longer term I'd still be thinking of a replacement but I wouldn't say it's urgent.

Last edited:
AC56U is very good router and if you interested only to use AsusWRT over time you should consider to change it. I would advice if not PRO version of new routers then AX86S

but if you willing to try FreshTomato is working very good at this router and I am using it on it for 10years https://freshtomato.org/ . You will get Firmware update few times a year and all will be good.

There is not need to replace router when official support will ends if 10years old router can meet year needs and very good alternative firmware is available.. In 2 location I have even Asus WL-500W operational with FT.

Last edited:
I just don't know much about security

Supported and updated Internet gateway is always better... in theory. As mentioned above though - if you know what are you doing online you can minimize the risks significantly and continue using the router you have. FreshTomato is excellent firmware option for older devices.