What's new

Upgrade to Wifi6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, that's one way to kill dead spots.
So far I haven't seen any router with a better range than my R7000. Neither R8500, nor RT-AC68U/AC1900P, R7800, R7200 gives better range than R7000. Maybe I've got a very good copy, and it's approximately 5 years old.

If you want range then get a dedicated AP instead of RE's and routers.

Not sure the size you're trying to cover or the construction but, I'm running a single AP to cover 1300sq ft w/ drywall / steel framing and every corner is covered with 1 AP.

Home routers usually have better range than SMB AP's. May not have better throughput and number of clients support though.

Not sure the size you're trying to cover or the construction but, I'm running a single AP to cover 1300sq ft w/ drywall / steel framing and every corner is covered with 1 AP.
I have 3000 sq. ft with 1 story, and a basement. I had 3 routers running previously (1 in the middle (R7000), and 2 on the sides (R8500 and R7200)). I later switched off one on the side, and it was fine, then I switched off another side, and left R7000 only. It was still good on the main floor, and one spot at the basement which was getting slower speeds, but still ok. Switching on 5Ghz radio right above that spot restored the speed to be like the rest of the house. However R7000 had better range outside of the house, than RT-AX86U. I will soon try running RAX200 alone with 2.4 + one 5GHz band, with another 5 GHz band switched off.
I have another router in AP mode in a barn (RT-AC1900P). This router covers up to a half of my backyard, and it's connected via Powerline adapter. I'm getting around 140/110 rates from this powerline adapter, with barn located around 50 ft away from the house.

Sounds compelling for 2 AP's in the main house and call it a day. Maybe a 3rd for the barn to extend full coverage across the yard and more milk monitoring systems.

Just seems like a bunch of junk to deal with and waste money on.as you mention putting aside at least 2 devices and have a small spotty area of coverage in a corner somewhere.

Then again I've rebuilt my server several times over the past 5 years now due to changing objectives. Going from simply combining some cord cutting functions to adding a Raid to replace a NAS to going full on router / AP built into it.

I tested EAX80 AP from Netgear today at the same location as Asus. The results were very similar, sometimes even slightly better than Asus, the range is also similar or slightly better. The web interface is super dumb, and there are not many configuration options, but for the price (I paid $83 for used one from Amazon Warehouse, which usually is in like new condition, and this one was too), I can definitely recommend it.

So far I haven't seen any router with a better range than my R7000. Neither R8500, nor RT-AC68U/AC1900P, R7800, R7200 gives better range than R7000. Maybe I've got a very good copy, and it's approximately 5 years old.
My r7800 gives better range than my R7000. It was a nice upgrade.

I had a R7800 before building my own and while it worked most of the time it had more issues than I had the patience to put up with. Between the firmware being buggy and 5G dropping out or spontaneous reboots it just didn't fit well. Though it did better than the Synology rt2600ac it replaced after a brief period of trying to get that working as designed.