What's new

Upgrading an RT-AC88U from 384.18 to 384.19 - should I wait?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MartyMacGyver

New Around Here
FWIW I'm not actually a new user - I was a member here forever but I rarely asked questions and my old account appears to have vanished at some point.

So, is upgrading from 384.18 to 384.19 a good idea or is it just too problematic? It's hard to tell here directly (one cannot actually search for "384.19" directly here) but judging by the volume of threads it sure seems like there's more than a few issues with it, and once I migrate to .19 I can't undo it without wiping and losing all my settings.

If I'm wrong and there's no more problems with 384.19 than 384.18, then that's good to know too.

Idk about AC88U, but I'd assume it's fine. But my AC86U has been a mess since that update. I used to have long uptime without any reboots . Since .19 it's been a mess. Wps reset it few times with jffs reset. Confirmed it's all fine and after 2 days or so it just rebooted without anything showing in the logs.

And I am not running any scripts or even using a usb . So basically just my normal uses without custom scripts. Now I'm on my last clue on fixing it. Stopping every trend micro things. So just few hours ago I withdrawn the privacy thingy so that it'll disable trend micro stuff. Let's hope it's stable now.

Here's the thing. I don't know if it's hardware issue. I don't think it is. Since when I was on 384.18 it's working just fine. No issues at all. And since 384.19 it's just a mess. But I digress. Anyways just make sure to have backups ready if things go south!!

Welcome back! @MartyMacGyver try using the new, 'Better Search' option now available. It has greatly increased the usefulness of search on this site.

I have updated every router I support to 384.19_0 without issues, including the RT-AC68U, RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC3100 (sister router to the RT-AC88U), RT-AC86U, RT-AX58U, and RT-AX88U models.

On the other hand, the new 386.xx Alpha firmware is expected 'soon-ish', with the Beta and final expected a few weeks afterward. If you have no pressing need to upgrade today and your network performs as you expect, then you may want to wait for the big jump coming soon.

Welcome back! @MartyMacGyver try using the new, 'Better Search' option now available. It has greatly increased the usefulness of search on this site.

I have updated every router I support to 384.19_0 without issues, including the RT-AC68U, RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC3100 (sister router to the RT-AC88U), RT-AC86U, RT-AX58U, and RT-AX88U models.

On the other hand, the new 386.xx Alpha firmware is expected 'soon-ish', with the Beta and final expected a few weeks afterward. If you have no pressing need to upgrade today and your network performs as you expect, then you may want to wait for the big jump coming soon.
I haven't fully kept up with the current situation with router support but I thought there was speculation that AC88U support may be dropped as firmware updates were really lagging behind as it's an aging router at this point. Is it for sure getting 386?

Nothing is for sure. But I suspect it will.

No problems on RT-AC88U and 384.19 here.

No problems on RT-AC88U and 384.19 here.

I actually did have problems with 19 with various IoT devices (nest protect, nest hello) and some intel based wifi cards. It was sporadic, but it led me to install the more current asus firmware. I suspect that there were some bugs in earlier version that were picked up by Merlin's build.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!