What's new

Originally a PM to Merlin.. I decided to post publically.. Re: Upgrading from AC88U to AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chromatic

New Around Here
[This was originally a PM that I didn't push the send button on to RMerlin, - as I thought.. Hey this is probably not important enough for him to respond privately. So here it is publicly and feel free to roast me with things that have been asked already. ]

Hiya..

First, (@RMerlin) thank you for all your work - It's thankless and you are an obvious genius in the world of linux based network code (and all the modules you incorporate on top reliably).

You stated you were ceasing updates to 384.19 (and I suppose updates in general to the firmware) until Asus got their shirt together basically.

Since it's been quite a while since you wrote that, I was wondering if that has happened and/or you have started back on the fixes/updates/improvements or if you still have it 'shut down' until further notice?

Oh and while I have the genius himself,.. I run an Asus 88u (run 10-20 devices or so , a few wired, more and more wireless as time goes on) with 384.19 (if that matters) and I noticed you use an AX88U (I think?)

The AX is obviously the latest 802.11 standard,.. but I notice some differences between them. Off hand,.. Faster Quad Core CPU, and 2x RAM/Flash ? Runs USB 3.0, and potentially faster network storage (true?)

Anyhow secondary speculative point: I'm going to guess with mostly AC devices.. an AX / Wifi 6 router isn't going to make some massively noticeable difference until devices are slowly, but surely upgraded over time. For instance.. my phones are iPhone 12 Pro's.. so I assume they are AX compatible (but I haven't bothered to even check those specs). Other than that.. everything else is old enough to not have adopted AX/WF6.

However, sometimes in these new standards some efficiency, capacity, modulation schemes etc are improved that can benefit the network even utilizing say mostly AC devices.

Any of that sort of thing going on with something like AX88U? Ie: Any new modulation schemes, QAM upgrades, and all the other stuff you would be intimately familiar with?

If you don't know, that's cool too. Thanks for your work, I've used Merlin for a while and truly appreciate you...

Thanks,

@Chromatic, RMerlin has been actively developing the (huge) upgrade from 384.19_0 for a long time now. Search is your friend as is just browsing the forums or, clicking anyone's avatar you're interested in (i.e. RMerlin) and clicking on the Messages 'number' to see what they've been saying in the last little while.

But here are quick links/updates for you.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Changelog | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Beta - Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online