What's new

Upgrading from AC66U to RT-AC2900 and AiProtection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Drifter

Occasional Visitor
I am upgrading my old router to a AC2900. I will receive it tomorrow and bit excited about that :)

while browsing this forum I came across this trend micro & privacy issue. Intention of this post is not to discuss about privacy concerns or how to disable it etc. But I will keep away from it as much as possible.

In AC66U I used to use AiProtection/Parental control to block internet access to some of my devices. Can this be achieved in AC2900 without enabling trend micro?

Is this feature now standard across all Asus routers?

I am upgrading my old router to a AC2900. I will receive it tomorrow and bit excited about that :)

while browsing this forum I came across this trend micro & privacy issue. Intention of this post is not to discuss about privacy concerns or how to disable it etc. But I will keep away from it as much as possible.

In AC66U I used to use AiProtection/Parental control to block internet access to some of my devices. Can this be achieved in AC2900 without enabling trend micro?

Is this feature now standard across all Asus routers?

I have the RT-AC86U which is AC2900. To enable Parental Controls, you must agree to this:

Trend Micro End User License Agreement
By using AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost, Web history, you agree to the Trend Micro End User License Agreement.
Please note that your information will be collected by Trend Micro through AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS and web history. You also acknowledge and agree that ASUS is not responsible for neither the agreement between you and Trend Micro nor any content of the service provided by Trend Micro. If you may have any inquires about how Trend Micro collects, processes and uses your above information, please refer to the privacy- related statement issued by Trend Micro or contact Trend Micro for more details.
TrendMicro Privacy Policy
Privacy and Personal Data Collection Disclosure
If you would like to disable sharing your information with Trend Micro through the above functions, please go to: Router web GUI > Advanced settings > Administration > Privacy.

I have not seen all Asus routers, but I would say that Trend Micro includes multiple related features common to Asus routers such as Parental Controls that are all either enable or disabled according to your general agreement to use them.

Note (for example) that Time Scheduling is presented along side Apps & Filtering as a Parental Control, but enabling it did not invoke the above license agreement.

OE

When you say "block internet access" do you mean selectively, or on a schedule, or just simply like the attached pic?

Attachments

• blockinet.jpg
    blockinet.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 161
When you say "block internet access" do you mean selectively, or on a schedule, or just simply like the attached pic?

Yes block selectively, as in the picture you posted. But this will create an entry in the Parent Contol also, does this evoke the TM module?

Yes block selectively, as in the picture you posted. But this will create an entry in the Parent Contol also, does this evoke the TM module?

I just tried it, and Parental Control is still turned off with internet blocked on an individual host.

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_172225.jpg
    IMG_20200214_172225.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 143

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!