What's new

Upgrading from an AC-3200 to potentially an AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mac.mc78

Occasional Visitor
Hey there, new user here.

I currently have an RT-AC3200 that I'm looking to update to something newer to support WiFi 6 (I have a couple Wifi 6 devices, and more will be coming shortly).

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

The AC3200 has been an awesome router - no issues, and the coverage hits almost 90% of the house. Hits all the spots that I absolutely need it to.

I have 1 2.4g camera in our backyard I need to reach, and one out the front as well.

Roughly, our square footage is around 2800 square feet.

Is this a smart upgrade? Will I see any reach degradation for the two 2.4g cameras, or is it possible that I might see a bump in throughput to those devices?

I may add in a mesh wired backhaul in the future, but its not in the cards currently.

Any advice anyone can give on the AX86u as a replacement for the RT-AC3200 would be awesome.

Thanks!

The RT-AX86U (with RMerlin firmware) is absolutely the best router at the least price you can get right now.

When you do get it, don't just duplicate your network settings from your old AC unit.

Start fresh and make a new network.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Without knowing your Wi-Fi environment or your construction details, I would hazard a yes. :)

Here are some links to the routers I am familiar with. Short answer: the RT-AX86U will offer much more throughput than what you have now (range in your circumstances to be determined 'by you'). :)

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings) | Page 163 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Without knowing your Wi-Fi environment or your construction details, I would hazard a yes. :)

Here are some links to the routers I am familiar with. Short answer: the RT-AX86U will offer much more throughput than what you have now (range in your circumstances to be determined 'by you'). :)

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings) | Page 163 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

The WifI environment is that the router is currently on the 3'rd floor of a 3 storey house, (not ideal, but its the best I can do with where the ISP put the line into the house) in a bedroom that's midway through the house.

Most of the devices that connect to that router are all on the same side of the house as the router. No devices are in the basement, just 5 devices on the main floor, and the rest are upstairs with the router itself 1 room away in either direction.

Just drywall between them inside the house. The 2 cameras outside are outside with brick walls separating them from the router.

Thanks!

That's not your Wi-Fi environment. :)

That's just the placement and relative positions.

No, RMerlin firmware is installed after purchase.

As easy to do as updating stock firmware, but a full reset to factory defaults is required.

For what it is worth i have just purchased the AX86U after having had the AX88U which i sold. In my environment and in my circumstances i think the AX86U so far offers much better range for some reason. The router is in the living room downstairs and in some of the upstairs rooms where the 88U used to suffer a bit, the AX86U seems to be much better. Your mileage may vary but so far i am very impressed.

For what it is worth i have just purchased the AX86U after having had the AX88U which i sold. In my environment and in my circumstances i think the AX86U so far offers much better range for some reason. The router is in the living room downstairs and in some of the upstairs rooms where the 88U used to suffer a bit, the AX86U seems to be much better. Your mileage may vary but so far i am very impressed.
Compared to my previous AC routers the AX86U 2.4Ghz range is good but the 5Ghz range is exceptional.

I went through 2 ax88u models, both had issues, even the a1.1 hardware upstate. Sold them and got 86u and it puts the 88u to utter shame in all areas, especially stability
Yeah i am only a week in but the difference is a real surprise, especially with coverage on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!