What's new

Upgrading RT86U to RT88U same configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joeejo

Occasional Visitor
Is there any way to used the saved configuration from my RT-AC86U (Merlin 386.3.2) to install on a new RT-AC86U (Merlin 386.3.2)?

I am trying to avoid manually configuring the new router to my existing config.

Thank you

Last edited:
First off it is a router.

Next, the answer is no if you are going from an AC86U to an AC88U. Manual config is always best when changing hardware. And use a new SSID.

Isn't that a downgrade? I have the AC88U but thinking of upgrading to the AC86U. Several posts here say the 86U is better. Am I wrong?

Isn't that a downgrade? I have the AC88U but thinking of upgrading to the AC86U. Several posts here say the 86U is better. Am I wrong?
Yes the RT-AC88U would be a downgrade. It's a two year older model. The only advantage it has is the eight LAN ports.

And for a few/many, ports 5-8 are not very stable.

And for a few/many, ports 5-8 are not very stable.

I have that issue myself. Hence I've just bought and AC86U. The AX is stupid money 2.5x what I paid for the AC. Arriving tomorrow.
May try and RMA my 88U as I would expect it to last more than 12 months for the price it cost. Clearly I will factory reset / restore to Asus firmware first. They can only say no. If they replace it, I'll have one to sell on.

The annoying thing is I need > 4 ports so will need to run some more cables to my switch via ducting.