What's new

Upgrading server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NRD

New Around Here
As we are replacing our current SBS server, our hardware vendor is quoting a NAS backup system and firewall hardware that would be managed through their service. These are both new hardware items to me. Is this service something I need to spend money on? Is this hardware easy to implement and maintain? I am fairly comfortable maintaining the current system after setup. We are going from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003. Any help would be appreciated.

NASs aren't usually terribly difficult to impliment or maintain. Also depends on the kind of NAS it is - if it's a consumer level NAS than for the most part they're plug and play with relatively few options to have to set or be mindful of. If it's more of a storage server, like something running Windows [Storage] Server, there's a little more to it, but it's still not rocket science. Most of it depends on your level of knowledge and comfort around these sorts of things. Overall, not usually hard though.

With routers, it depends on the kind of router and the kind of networking setup the office requires. Most consumer and small-business grade routers are largely plug-and-play, but the higher end types (Cisco, Watchguard) can be more involved, and do not work right out of the box without various configurations being made. Again, depends a lot on the router and the kinds of things the router is needed for.

Any idea as to the kind of hardware you're being quoted? Any models?

Thanks for your help. We are looking at Intel SS4200 Nas with Seagate Barracuda hard drives. The firewall is Sonicwall TotalSecure TZ180.

Sonicwall has yearly subscription fees to maintain their UTM features. Depending on what type of Sonicwall partner your vendor is...you'll probably be paying your vendor a yearly fee, or direct to Sonicwall.

For backup, are you also doing removable backup? Something you can take off site?

This is part of my confusion - are the NAS drives removable? or do those drives go into the DAS E-sata off site storage?

According to the SNB review, that unit normally ships without drives. That would mean you're buying the unit plus a couple drives for it.

I've set up tons of TZ-170's and TZ-180's and overall, they're pretty straight forward. If you're loosely familiar with routers and some basic network terminology, you should be OK, but YMMV. Sonicwall ships various add-on bundles with their TZ products, typically ranging around UTM licensing and longer/quicker support. What your resellers are probably offering is one of these bundles that upgrades the warranty or some of the features. They might also be offering a warranty or support contract of their own, too.

SBS 2008 will out in the next couple of months. Is there a reason you are moving to 2003? If you are in dire need of new server *now*, be sure and get 2003 with software assurance so you can upgrade to 2008 at a future date for free. Also, make sure your hardware is 64-bit as 2008 won't run on 32-bit hardware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!